Find the angular acceleration and velocity at the end of a rod.

In summary, the conversation discusses a uniform, straight rod with mass M and length L rotating about a horizontal axis at a distance of L/4 from the end. The moment of inertia at point A is expressed by M and L. The angular acceleration at the right end of the rod when it is released is found using the equation Ʃτ=Iα, and the angular velocity when the rod passes the vertical position is calculated using the equation mgycm=1/2*I*ω^2. The value of L is necessary for numerical calculations.
MariusM

Homework Statement

A uniform, straight rod with mass M and length L can rotate about a horizontal axis A in a distance L/4 from the rods end. Vi can disregard friction. Gravity is 9.81 m/s^2.

(drawing included at the bottom)

1) Find an expression for the moment of inertia of the rod at point A expressed by M and L.

2) The rod is initially at rest in the horizontal position shown. The rod is the released. Calculate the angular acceleration at the right end of the rod the instant it is released.

3) Calculate the angular velocity of the rod when it passes the vertical position. You can assume here that the rods length is L=1m.

Homework Equations

The first one I've already managed. Icm+MD^2= 7ML^2/48.

The second question I would think that Ʃτ=Iα is correct.

The third I'd bring in mgycm=1/2*I*ω^2 (I take the Y height to be initially .5 above zero. Zero is the potential energy when it is at vertical position)

The Attempt at a Solution

2) Torque = F*r=Mg*L/3
MgL/3=7ML^2/48*α, the answer says 12.6 rad/s^2. I just can't figure out how to omit the L.

3) Using my equation stated above I get:√ (g*M*ycm/(7/48)ML^2)=ω

I also tried using the angular velocity for both a physical pendelum (taking d to be L/3) and a simpel pendelum.

All of this is wrong. Any help would be greatly appreaciated!

Attachments

• Drawing.png
    Drawing.png
    575 bytes · Views: 645
Physics news on Phys.org
All of the OP's methods are correct.

The value of L is required to get a numerical value for α and ω.

In the solution (2), the value of r should be L/2 and not L/3.

Related to Find the angular acceleration and velocity at the end of a rod.

1. What is angular acceleration and velocity?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, which is the rate of change of an object's rotational speed or direction. It is measured in radians per second squared. Angular velocity, on the other hand, is the rate of change of an object's angular displacement, measured in radians per second.

2. How do you find the angular acceleration and velocity of a rod?

To find the angular acceleration and velocity of a rod, you need to know the moment of inertia of the rod, the net torque acting on the rod, and the length of the rod. You can then use the equation α = τ/I to calculate the angular acceleration, and ω = αt + ω0 to calculate the angular velocity, where α is the angular acceleration, τ is the net torque, I is the moment of inertia, t is time, and ω0 is the initial angular velocity.

3. What factors can affect the angular acceleration and velocity of a rod?

The angular acceleration and velocity of a rod can be affected by the length and mass distribution of the rod, as well as the magnitude and direction of the net torque acting on the rod. Other factors that can affect these values include the material and shape of the rod, as well as any external forces or constraints acting on the rod.

4. What are the units of measurement for angular acceleration and velocity?

Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s2), while angular velocity is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

5. How are angular acceleration and velocity related to linear motion?

Angular acceleration and velocity are related to linear motion through the concept of rotational motion. When an object undergoes rotational motion, it also has a linear velocity and acceleration at any given point. The linear velocity is equal to the product of the angular velocity and the distance from the axis of rotation, while the linear acceleration is equal to the product of the angular acceleration and the square of the distance from the axis of rotation.