Find the angle, cyclic quadrilaterals

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of angles $\angle ACD$ and $\angle ACB$ in a circle with center $O$, given that $\angle ABD=50$. The expert concludes that based on the given information, it is not possible to determine the magnitude of $\angle ACB$ without knowing if $\overline{AC}$ and $\overline{BD}$ intersect at $O$. However, if it is assumed that they do intersect at $O$, then the angle can be found to be $40^\circ$ using Thales' theorem. Without this assumption, there is not enough information to determine the angle.
mathlearn
View attachment 6026

Here is a circle with center $O$ :cool:

Its is given that $\angle ABD=50$ & to find the magnitudes of

$\angle ACD$ & $\angle ACB$

Now what I know is (Nerd) $\angle ACD=50$ due to the inscribed angle theorem, Can you help me to find the other angle which I don't know how to find ,stating the reasons

Attachments

• Picsart2016-26-9--20-44-42.jpg
    Picsart2016-26-9--20-44-42.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do $\overline{AC}$ and $\overline{BD}$ intersect at $O$ ?

greg1313 said:
Do $\overline{AC}$ and $\overline{BD}$ intersect at $O$ ?

No nothing about the intersection is mentioned in the problem , But it is given that $O$ is the center of the circle

I don't think there's enough information. If $\overline{AC}$ and $\overline{BD}$ intersected at $O$ the problem wouldn't make any sense. So, are we missing anything?

No that is all what is given in the problem (Sadface)

Actually I goofed - :eek: - if $\overline{AC}$ intersects $\overline{BD}$ at $O$, then $\angle{ACB}=40^\circ$, so I'd assume that is the case - without that I don't think there's enough information.

greg1313 said:
Actually I goofed - :eek: - if $\overline{AC}$ intersects $\overline{BD}$ at $O$, then $\angle{ACB}=40^\circ$, so I'd assume that is the case - without that I don't think there's enough information.

Yes it should be :) You used "Angle at the Center Theorem" , right?

Last edited:
Hey mathlearn! ;)

I believe it suffices if $O$ is on $BD$.
Due to Thales' theorem that implies that the required angle is 40 degrees.

Without it, we indeed do not have sufficient information.
It would mean that the angle at A does not have to be 90 degrees, implying that the required angle does not have to be 40 degrees, but could be anything. (Nerd)

Cheers!

Related to Find the angle, cyclic quadrilaterals

1. What is a cyclic quadrilateral?

A cyclic quadrilateral is a shape with four sides that lie on a circle. This means that all four vertices of the quadrilateral touch the circumference of the circle.

2. How do you find the angle of a cyclic quadrilateral?

In a cyclic quadrilateral, opposite angles are supplementary, meaning they add up to 180 degrees. This means that if you know the measure of three angles in a cyclic quadrilateral, you can find the measure of the fourth angle by subtracting the sum of the three known angles from 360 degrees.

3. What is the sum of the interior angles of a cyclic quadrilateral?

The sum of the interior angles in any quadrilateral is 360 degrees. In a cyclic quadrilateral, this is because opposite angles are supplementary, as mentioned in the previous answer.

4. Can a cyclic quadrilateral have two right angles?

Yes, a cyclic quadrilateral can have two right angles. This can occur when the quadrilateral is a rectangle or a square inscribed in a circle.

5. How is the opposite angle theorem used to find angles in a cyclic quadrilateral?

The opposite angle theorem states that in a cyclic quadrilateral, opposite angles are equal. This can be used to find missing angles by setting two opposite angles equal to each other and solving for the unknown angle.