Find the Angle Between (A+B) and (A-B) is (A+B)=73(A-B)

• Thread starter AltruistKnight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary: I believe the missing identity was the key to everything. In summary, the problem involves finding the angle between two vectors, A and B, with the same magnitude, given that the magnitude of their sum is 73 times greater than their difference. The relevant equation was initially incorrect, but after correction, it could be solved with some algebra and the trig identity cos2θ+sin2θ=1. The solution involves factoring out A and setting it equal to 1, then using the resulting equation to find the angle.
AltruistKnight

Homework Statement

Vector A and B have the same magnitude. Given that the magnitude of A+B is 73 times greater than the magnitude of A-B, find the angle between them.

Homework Equations

[itex]sqrt[(A+Acosθ)^2+(ASinθ)^2)]=73sqrt[(A-Acosθ)^2+(-Asinθ)^2][/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to start the question using the equation above, which was derived from the question details. I numbered my steps as follows in an effort to keep track of the process:

1)Square both sides-this eliminates the square root over the majority of the terms, and also squares the "73" coefficient.

2)Expand all brackets. This is where the mess comes in, and results in an equation as follows:
[tex](A^2+2A^2cosθ+Acos^2θ)+(A^2sin^2θ)=5329[(A^2-2A^2cos+Acos^2θ)+(A^2sin^2θ)][/tex]

3)Here's where I began to have a little difficulty. Firstly, I worked on the left half of the equation without the coefficient. Specifically, I dropped the brackets and factored out "A", giving me [tex]A+2Acosθ+cos^2θ+A+2Asinθ+sin^2θ[/tex] on the left side of the equation. I noticed that there's a trigonometric identity for "[itex]cos^2θ-sin^2θ=2cosθ"[/itex], and since those two terms appear in a positive form on either side of the equation, I'm guessing I can switch the "[itex]sin^2θ[/itex]" terms on either side and get "[itex]cos2θ[/itex]" on both sides, then move one over and cancel them both.

But from there I'm unsure of how to make the equation simplify any further, barring distributing the 5329 amongst all the left-side terms, then dividing the entire equation by 5329 to remove them (which probably has to be done before switching the [itex]sin^2θ[/itex] on either side). I get the feeling cancelling further will be the key here, as well as distribution and factor addition, but I'm running into difficulty proceeding with calculations due to the mass number of terms and variables, so I would greatly appreciate some assistance in how to proceed without making an even bigger mess.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe your "relevant equation" is incorrect. If A and B have the same magnitude, then we could choose the x-axis along A and the y-axis perpendicular to A, so A, in component form, would be A=(A,0), where A is the magnitude of A, and B = (A cosθ, A sinθ).

Vector addition would say A+B = (A + A cosθ, A sinθ), while A-B=(A - A cosθ, -A sinθ).

So your relevant equation has the wrong y-components plugged into the pythagorean theorem.

Ah, just noticed that, thanks a lot. That said, would it affect my process significantly? (It evidently cuts down a fair number of terms, thankfully)

That said, I'm re-working it now using the new equation, so I may update the question in a few minutes.

Last edited:
Hmm did you edit your OP? I'm a little confused now since now your relevant equation is correct. But yes, once you make that correction, it should work out with some algebra.

Edit: Okay, now I see you edited your second post. This is quite a whirlwind of edits! Next time I'd recommend making an all-new post with further progress.

Yeah, I updated it to fix the error. That said, given that the right side has that bothersome coefficient, would it be feasible to simply divide both sides by the same number prior to expanding the brackets?

Also, when I -do- expand the left side and attempt to add terms, I can't seem to make [itex]A^2+2A^2cosθ+Acos^2θ+Asin^2θ[/itex] produce a usable trig identity. I do recall at some point I had to factor the A's out, but that still leaves me with [tex]A(1+2Acosθ+cos^2θ+Asin^θ)[/tex]

Just to be sure, [itex](Acosθ)^2[/itex] IS [itex](A^2cos^2θ)[/itex], right? If so, I can't seem to get rid of the "A" in that and the corresponding sine term, since there's one term on the right side that ends up with only one "A" coefficient, keeping me from factoring out "A^2" without making it even messier...

Well, I was able to solve this problem. You can factor A out pretty quickly... You can easily write:
A+B = (A + A cosθ, A sinθ) = A(1+cosθ, sinθ) while A-B=(A - A cosθ, -A sinθ) = A (1-cosθ, -sinθ). Then you have:

|A+B|=73|A-B|
|A(1+cosθ, sinθ)| = 73 |A(1-cosθ, -sinθ)|
Where the bars denote the length of the vector given by your pythagorean expression. So,

A |(1+cosθ, sinθ)|=73A|(1-cosθ, -sinθ)|
and divide out A yielding
|(1+cosθ, sinθ)| = 73 |(1-cosθ, -sinθ)|

This is basically equivalent to saying that these vectors would have the same angle even if we first rescaled A and B at the beginning of the calculation such that they have unit length. (i.e., set A equal to 1.)

The one trig identity that you seem to be missing is cos2θ+sin2θ=1

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks,the explanation and trig function really helped!

Related to Find the Angle Between (A+B) and (A-B) is (A+B)=73(A-B)

1. What does the equation (A+B) = 73(A-B) mean?

This equation represents the relationship between the sum of two angles (A+B) and the difference of the same two angles (A-B). The equation shows that the value of the sum is equal to 73 times the value of the difference.

2. How do you find the angle between (A+B) and (A-B)?

To find the angle between (A+B) and (A-B), you can use the trigonometric identity: cos(A+B) = cosAcosB - sinAsinB. By substituting this into the equation (A+B) = 73(A-B), you can solve for the value of A and B, and then find the angle between them.

3. Can the angle between (A+B) and (A-B) be negative?

Yes, the angle between (A+B) and (A-B) can be negative. This happens when the two angles are in opposite directions or when the difference between them is greater than 180 degrees.

4. What is the range of possible values for the angle between (A+B) and (A-B)?

The range of possible values for the angle between (A+B) and (A-B) is between -180 degrees and 180 degrees. This range includes both positive and negative angles.

5. Can the equation (A+B) = 73(A-B) be solved for multiple values?

Yes, the equation (A+B) = 73(A-B) can be solved for multiple values. This is because there are an infinite number of angle pairs that can satisfy this equation. However, the difference between the two angles will always be the same (73 times the sum of the two angles).