Find the initial launching velocity of the projectile.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the initial launching velocity of a projectile with and without air resistance. The formula for finding the velocity in the air-less case is v2 = gD/2sinAcosA, where g is gravity, D is the range, and A is the angle of elevation. However, there is no simple equation for a projectile with air resistance as it changes with velocity and direction. It would require updating the direction and magnitude of the drag in steps.
neil
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help with a problem that has me stumped.

I know the starting position & the landing position of a projectile. (on a level surface)
I also know the initial angle the projectile will be fired at.

I need to find the initial launching velocity of the projectile.
And then how would this be adjusted to take air resistance into account?

Thanks for any help.

N.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by neil
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help with a problem that has me stumped.

I know the starting position & the landing position of a projectile. (on a level surface)
I also know the initial angle the projectile will be fired at.

I need to find the initial launching velocity of the projectile.
And then how would this be adjusted to take air resistance into account?

Thanks for any help.

N.

I see the problem's been read over a dozen times by others and not replied to.

I'll help a little way along---just the part with no air resistance.

v2 = gD/2sinAcosA

where g is gravity
D is the range---horiz dist traveled
A is the angle of elevation

You may have gotten that already and be waiting for help with
air resistance (which you won't get from me)

In all events, you should certainly understand this case very well before proceeding.

Do you understand the air-less case?

1. vert vel = vsinA
2. g T/2 = vsinA
3. T = 2vsinA/g
4. horz vel = vcosA
5. D = T vcosA
6. D = (2vsinA/g)vcosA
7. ... next step?

Last edited:
There is no simple equation for a projectile with air resistance.

Air resistance changes with velocity, and its direction is also changing as the projectile travels along its path.

The only way to do it is to update the direction and magnitude of the drag in steps. If you're still learning the air-less case, going through the procedure will probably be more trouble than its worth.

What do you need it for?

Originally posted by enigma
There is no simple equation for a projectile with air resistance.

Except for a one-dimensional motion, like a fall directly down. Then there is reasonably simple equation with analytical solution (something like v(t)=voth(gt/vo), where vo is terminal speed).

Last edited by a moderator:
If you need it very bad, I have a worked out solution for this problem from Symon's Mechanics, but in principle you just have to write down Newton's law of motion:
md2x/dt2 = F
where F = mg -bv {in the case of friction}
and solve for x, which is not fun.

This one can be written for velocity (v=x') as mv'+bv-mg=0 which results in v(t)=vo(exp(-bt/m)+vterm(1-exp(-bt/m)), where vo is initial velocity and vterm=mg/b (usually named as "terminal" velocity).

Position x(t) is just an integral of this exponent: x(t)= m(vterm-vo)exp(-bt/m)/b +vtermt+xo

1. What is the formula for finding the initial launching velocity of a projectile?

The formula for finding the initial launching velocity of a projectile is v = √(2gh), where v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the projectile's launch.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This is typically represented by the formula a = Δv/Δt.

3. Can the initial launching velocity of a projectile be negative?

Yes, the initial launching velocity of a projectile can be negative if it is launched in the downward direction. In this case, the velocity would be represented as a negative value in the formula.

4. What are the units of measurement for initial launching velocity?

The units of measurement for initial launching velocity are typically meters per second (m/s) in the metric system and feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system.

5. How do factors such as air resistance and angle of launch affect the initial launching velocity of a projectile?

Factors such as air resistance and angle of launch can affect the initial launching velocity of a projectile by either increasing or decreasing it. Air resistance can slow down the projectile, while the angle of launch can determine the direction and magnitude of the velocity.