Find the acceleration of the yo-yo

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the moments of inertia for a solid disk and a rod, and finding the acceleration and tension of a 0.24kg yo-yo with a fixed string under constant tension. The question asks for assistance with solving for alpha in the torque equations and proceeding with finding the acceleration.
wildrjetta
I have calculated the moments of inertia for both the solid disk and the rod, but am getting stuck on how to solve for alpha in the torque equations so that I get acceleration. Can anyone shed some light on this question for me? I really appreciate it.
Here is the question I seem to be struggling with:
A 0.24kg yo-yo consists of two solid disks of radius 11.5cm joined together by a massless rod of radium 1.00cm and a string wrapped around the rod. One end of the string is held fixed and is under constant tension T as the yo-yo is released. Find the acceleration of the yo-yo and the tention T.

Physics news on Phys.org
i am still stuck on this problem...can anyone help?

wildrjetta said:
i am still stuck on this problem...can anyone help?

The in-plane motion of a rigid body consist of a translation of its centre of mass and a rotation around the axis through the center of mass. The linear acceleration is proportional to the net force. The angular acceleration of the rotation is proportional to the net torque. Can you proceed from here?

ehild

Related to Find the acceleration of the yo-yo

1. What is the definition of acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration related to the yo-yo?

In the context of a yo-yo, acceleration is related to the change in the yo-yo's velocity as it moves up or down.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a yo-yo?

The acceleration of a yo-yo is affected by the force applied to it, the mass of the yo-yo, and the friction between the yo-yo and the string.

4. How can the acceleration of a yo-yo be calculated?

The acceleration of a yo-yo can be calculated using the formula a = (v2 - v1)/t, where a is acceleration, v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time it takes for the yo-yo to change velocity.

5. Why is knowing the acceleration of a yo-yo important?

Knowing the acceleration of a yo-yo can help us understand the physics behind its motion and can also be useful in designing and improving yo-yo tricks and performances.