Find the acceleration of a race car traveling up a curve

In summary, a 500 kg race car starts at rest on a curve with a radius of 50 m and goes 20 degrees in 4 seconds with a constant angular acceleration. Its total acceleration at the end of this time is 1.09 m/s^2.
Rubber Band

Homework Statement

A 500 kg race car starts at rest on a curve with a radius of 50 m. If it goes 20 degrees in 4 seconds with a constant angular acceleration, what is its total acceleration at the end of this time?

m=500kg
r = 50 m
angle = pi/9 radians
time = 4 seconds

The Attempt at a Solution

angular velocity=∆radians/∆time
angular accel=angular velocity/time
tangential accel=radius*angular accel
centripetal accel=angular velocity^2*r

angular velocity=(pi/9)/4 seconds = 0.0873 radians/second
angular accel=(0.0873 radians/second)/4 seconds = 0.0218 radians/second^2
tangential accel=(50m)(0.0218 radians/second^2)=1.09 m/s^2
centripetal accel=(0.0873 radians/second)^2(50 m) = 1.52 X 10^-4 m/s^2

TOTAL ACCELERATION = tangential acceleration + centripetal acceleration = 1.09 m/s^2 + 1.52 X 10^-4 m/s^2 = 1.09 m/s^2

I have a feeling I didn't do this right...

Physics news on Phys.org
Rubber Band said:

Homework Statement

A 500 kg race car starts at rest on a curve with a radius of 50 m. If it goes 20 degrees in 4 seconds with a constant angular acceleration, what is its total acceleration at the end of this time?

m=500kg
r = 50 m
angle = pi/9 radians
time = 4 seconds

The Attempt at a Solution

angular velocity=∆radians/∆time
angular accel=angular velocity/time
tangential accel=radius*angular accel
centripetal accel=angular velocity^2*r

angular velocity=(pi/9)/4 seconds = 0.0873 radians/second
angular accel=(0.0873 radians/second)/4 seconds = 0.0218 radians/second^2
tangential accel=(50m)(0.0218 radians/second^2)=1.09 m/s^2
centripetal accel=(0.0873 radians/second)^2(50 m) = 1.52 X 10^-4 m/s^2

TOTAL ACCELERATION = tangential acceleration + centripetal acceleration = 1.09 m/s^2 + 1.52 X 10^-4 m/s^2 = 1.09 m/s^2

I have a feeling I didn't do this right...
Almost perfect. The tangential and centripetal accelerations are correct, But they are vectors acting at right angles to each other, so you can't just add them algebraically. Instead, you must______?

Edit: Except you also have a math error in your centripetal acceleration equation. Not quite almost perfect.

Last edited:
sqrt(1.09^2 + 0.000152^2) = 1.09 m/s^2

That's the same acceleration I got before. Is it correct?

Rubber Band said:
sqrt(1.09^2 + 0.000152^2) = 1.09 m/s^2

That's the same acceleration I got before. Is it correct?
correct your math error for centripetal acceleration, then it should be correct, unless i, too, have made a math error. It comes out to 0.38m/s^2, and I get the total acceleration equal to 1.15m/s^2.

The tangential acceleration is not quite correct. Imagine a car that started from rest and traveled 20 metres in 4 seconds. How would you calculate its linear acceleration? The angular acceleration must be calculated the same way.

naresh said:
The tangential acceleration is not quite correct. Imagine a car that started from rest and traveled 20 metres in 4 seconds. How would you calculate its linear acceleration? The angular acceleration must be calculated the same way.
It's 20 degrees in 4 seconds, not 20 meters.

PhanthomJay said:
It's 20 degrees in 4 seconds, not 20 meters.

Yes, I realize that. I was trying to draw an analogy, admittedly I wasn't too successful at that.

Let me try again.

Angular velocity = {Change in angle}/{change in time} is not correct for uniformly accelerated angular motion. The way you work this out is the same as the way you work with uniformly accelerated linear motion.

naresh said:
Yes, I realize that. I was trying to draw an analogy, admittedly I wasn't too successful at that.

Let me try again.

Angular velocity = {Change in angle}/{change in time} is not correct for uniformly accelerated angular motion. The way you work this out is the same as the way you work with uniformly accelerated linear motion.
Oh, yes, sorry, you are correct. What has been calculated is the average angular velocity. What is needed is the instantaneous angular velocity. Good catch, thanks. That'll change all the numbers.

What is the correct formula? I have this on a test review, and have no idea what I am doing.

Related to Find the acceleration of a race car traveling up a curve

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it took for the change to occur. This can be represented by the formula: acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

3. How does acceleration affect a race car traveling up a curve?

Acceleration plays a crucial role in a race car's ability to travel up a curve. As the car accelerates, it gains speed and its velocity changes, allowing it to maintain its trajectory and continue moving forward. Without acceleration, the car would not be able to overcome the forces of gravity and friction that act against it on the curve.

4. What factors can affect the acceleration of a race car traveling up a curve?

Several factors can affect the acceleration of a race car on a curve, including the car's engine power, its weight, the condition of the track, and the angle of the curve. Other external factors such as air resistance and tire grip can also impact the acceleration of the car.

5. How can the acceleration of a race car traveling up a curve be increased?

The acceleration of a race car traveling up a curve can be increased by increasing the car's engine power, reducing its weight, improving the track conditions, and adjusting the angle of the curve to minimize friction. Proper tire maintenance and aerodynamic design can also help improve the car's acceleration on a curve.