Find The acceleration (Newton's Laws of Motion problem).

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a 5.0-kg block, a 4.0-kg block, and a 0.6-kg rod connected by links A and B. A force of 40 N was applied to the upper block, and the question asked for the acceleration of the blocks and rod assembly. Using Newton's Laws of Motion, the acceleration of the blocks and rod assembly was found to be closest to zero, which is equivalent to 0.2 m/s^2 when taking into account the value of g as 10 m/s^2.
All Pow3r

Homework Statement

4.3.jpg

Fig. 4.3

A 5.0-kg block and a 4.0-kg block are connected by a 0.6-kg rod. The links between the blocks and the rod are denoted by A and B. A force F is applied to the upper block.In Fig. 4.3, the force in link B is 40 N. The acceleration of the blocks and rod assembly, including direction, is closest to:

1) zero
2) 2.4 m/s2, downward
3) 1.2 m/s2, downward
4) 2.4 m/s2, upward
5) 1.2 m/s2, upward

Homework Equations

we have to use Newton's Laws of Motion to find the answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to figure out the acceleration for each of 5.0-kg block, 4.0-kg block and 0.6-kg rod using these equations:

for the 5.0-kg block \ ƩF=ma ==> F - m1g - Fa = m1a ==> F-Fa = m1(a+g)

for 4.0-kg block \ ƩF=ma ==> Fb - m2g = m2a ==> Fb = m2(a+g)

for the 0.6-kg rod \ Fa + Fb ==> (F(m1+m2+m3) - m1F)/(m1+m2+m3) + (m2F)/(m1+m2+m3)and i could do that for the 4.0-kg block and 0.6-kg rod but i couldn't with the 5.0-kg block because F is unknown for me!- I find Fa and Fb this way :

First ƩF for the hole system is ƩF=ma ==> F-(m1+m2+m3)g = (m1+m2+m3)a
so, a = F/(m1+m2+m3) -g

for m1 ƩF=ma ==> F-Fa-m1g = m1a
so, F-Fa = m(a+g) = m1F/(m1+m2+m3) ==> Fa = F(m1+m2+m3)-m1F/(m1+m2+m3) ==> Fa = 0.48N

and Fb = 40N (Given in the question)
m1 = mass of 5.0-kg block
m2 = mass of 0.6-kg rod
m3 = mass of 4.0-kg block

Fa = Force of A
Fb = Force of B

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Read the rules: you must attempt a solution before we can help

frogjg2003 said:
Read the rules: you must attempt a solution before we can help

sorry, i just put my attempt!

Last edited:
Fa and Fb aren't the only forces acting on the rod.

If you only want to answer the question, though, you only have to look at block B. The acceleration of the whole system is the same for each piece. You have an equation with only the acceleration as the unknown, so just solve for a there.

frogjg2003 said:
Fa and Fb aren't the only forces acting on the rod.

I'm not sure what advantage i take from this information specifically!

frogjg2003 said:
If you only want to answer the question, though, you only have to look at block B. The acceleration of the whole system is the same for each piece. You have an equation with only the acceleration as the unknown, so just solve for a there.

Here is my attempt:ƩF (for the block B) equals Fb - m2g = m2a ==> Fb = m2(a+g) ==> 40 = 4(a+9.8) ==> a=0.2 m/s2.
So, it closest to zero ( if i substitute g with value 10, a will be 0 ).
Is that correct ? or i should use the simple equation a = F/m ?

Last edited:
Yes. I'm guessing this is for an exam? It's perfectly reasonable that they might have g=10m/s^2, especially if you're not allowed to use a calculator.
a=F/m is only true when F is the net force.

frogjg2003 said:
Yes. I'm guessing this is for an exam? It's perfectly reasonable that they might have g=10m/s^2, especially if you're not allowed to use a calculator.
a=F/m is only true when F is the net force.

oh! That is way easier than i thought :)
it is kind of online Assignment.

Thanks.

Related to Find The acceleration (Newton's Laws of Motion problem).

1. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate for a given force.

2. How do you calculate acceleration using Newton's Second Law?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the net force acting on an object by its mass. The formula is: a = F/m, where "a" is acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s²), "F" is the net force in Newtons (N), and "m" is the mass in kilograms (kg).

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant and does not change with location, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity in different locations.

4. How does the direction of the net force affect acceleration?

The direction of the net force applied to an object determines the direction of its acceleration. If the net force is in the same direction as the object's motion, it will speed up. If the net force is in the opposite direction, it will slow down. If the net force is perpendicular to the motion, it will cause the object to change direction.

5. Can an object have a positive acceleration while moving in the negative direction?

Yes, an object can have a positive acceleration while moving in the negative direction. This can occur if the object is slowing down while moving in the negative direction, as the acceleration is still in the positive direction (opposite to the object's motion). This is known as negative acceleration or deceleration.