Find Tension in CD with Input of y

• Thread starter pHysicsN0OB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary: If you happen to have a screenshot of the equation or the pictures themselves, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the post!
pHysicsN0OB
I have to create a formula where one would just need to input y to get the tension from CD.

1. Homework Statement

A worker plans to lift a 60-lb 5 gallon bucket of paint by tying a rope to the scaffold a A and then passing the rope through the bail of the bucket at B and finally over the pulley at C. Please analyze the system assuming that the bucket is held in static equilibrium as it is raised slowly from a height y for 2 ft< y <18 ft.

Homework Equations

See photos

The Attempt at a Solution

I know on the second picture I'm supposed to put y in the equation but I was just getting an idea how to set up.
Pic 1:https://s3.amazonaws.com/pushbullet-uploads/ujAxMpHzyfc-Xe1u0whgga5v3LatKi9H4MfiCL5at7vG/20140930_204335.jpg

Pic 2: https://s3.amazonaws.com/pushbullet-uploads/ujAxMpHzyfc-EIidEB3UI1JOsHJm5cHw16CyWZaKF533/20140930_203509.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

pHysicsN0OB said:
I have to create a formula where one would just need to input y to get the tension from CD.

1. Homework Statement

A worker plans to lift a 60-lb 5 gallon bucket of paint by tying a rope to the scaffold a A and then passing the rope through the bail of the bucket at B and finally over the pulley at C. Please analyze the system assuming that the bucket is held in static equilibrium as it is raised slowly from a height y for 2 ft< y <18 ft.

Homework Equations

See photos

The Attempt at a Solution

I know on the second picture I'm supposed to put y in the equation but I was just getting an idea how to set up.
Pic 1:https://s3.amazonaws.com/pushbullet-uploads/ujAxMpHzyfc-Xe1u0whgga5v3LatKi9H4MfiCL5at7vG/20140930_204335.jpg

Pic 2: https://s3.amazonaws.com/pushbullet-uploads/ujAxMpHzyfc-EIidEB3UI1JOsHJm5cHw16CyWZaKF533/20140930_203509.jpg

There's some sort of problem with accessing and viewing these pictures when the links are clicked.

Related to Find Tension in CD with Input of y

1. What is the equation for finding tension in a CD with input of y?

The equation for finding tension in a CD with input of y is T = (π/2) * E * t * y^3, where T is the tension, E is the modulus of elasticity, t is the thickness of the CD, and y is the deflection distance.

2. How does the modulus of elasticity affect the tension in a CD?

The modulus of elasticity, or the measure of a material's stiffness, directly affects the tension in a CD. A higher modulus of elasticity means the material is stiffer and will require more force to be deflected, resulting in a higher tension in the CD.

3. What is the significance of the deflection distance, y, in the equation for finding tension in a CD?

The deflection distance, y, is the distance the CD is bent or deformed. It is a crucial factor in the equation as it directly affects the tension in the CD. A larger deflection distance will result in a higher tension, while a smaller deflection distance will result in a lower tension.

4. Can the thickness of the CD affect the tension?

Yes, the thickness of the CD, represented by the variable t in the equation, can affect the tension. A thicker CD will require more force to be deflected, resulting in a higher tension, while a thinner CD will require less force and result in a lower tension.

5. Is there a maximum tension that a CD can withstand?

Yes, there is a maximum tension that a CD can withstand before breaking. This limit is determined by the material's strength and properties and is usually established during the manufacturing process. It is essential to consider this maximum tension when calculating the tension in a CD to avoid damage or failure.