Find tension and angle from second rope

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding the tension in a rope given certain variables and a picture of the problem. The person found t1y and t2y, which are equivalent, and mg, but is unable to determine the force in tension 2. They are also unsure about the mathematical representation of these variables and how to incorporate the x components of the tensions. They clarify that y is taken as vertical and question how T1y and T2y are equal.
JustinP88
Hi, I am having a seemingly hard time trying to find the tension in this rope. I've looked everywhere for a problem with these given variables but I found none. Here we are given: T1, T1 angle, mass of man and that is all. I included the picture here.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found, t1y, which is the same as t2y, and mg, but given this information, I can't discover the force in tension 2. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I included a picture of the problem.
IMG_8938.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
JustinP88 said:
Hi, I am having a seemingly hard time trying to find the tension in this rope. I've looked everywhere for a problem with these given variables but I found none. Here we are given: T1, T1 angle, mass of man and that is all. I included the picture here.

orbax.JPG

The Attempt at a Solution

I found, t1y, which is the same as t2y, and mg, but given this information, I can't discover the force in tension 2. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I included a picture of the problem.

What are t1 and t2? What do you mean with "I found, t1y, which is the same as t2y, and mg"? Write it mathematically.
And what about the x components of the tensions?

You are taking y as vertical yes? So how do you get that T1y=T2y?

Related to Find tension and angle from second rope

1. How do I find the tension in the second rope?

To find the tension in the second rope, you will need to use Newton's second law of motion (F=ma) and the equations of motion for a system of ropes. This will require knowing the masses of the objects connected by the ropes, the acceleration of the system, and the angles and lengths of the ropes. By solving for the unknown tension in the equations, you can find the tension in the second rope.

2. What is the angle of the second rope?

The angle of the second rope can be found by using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. By knowing the lengths of the ropes and the tension in the system, you can use these functions to solve for the angle of the second rope. It is important to remember to use the correct angle and to use the appropriate inverse function when solving for the angle.

3. Can I find the tension and angle of the second rope without knowing the masses?

No, you cannot find the tension and angle of the second rope without knowing the masses of the objects connected by the ropes. The masses are necessary in order to calculate the acceleration of the system, which is a key component in solving for the tension and angle in the second rope.

4. What happens to the tension in the second rope if the angle changes?

If the angle of the second rope changes, the tension in the rope will also change. This is because the tension in a rope is directly proportional to the angle of the rope. As the angle increases, the tension will also increase, and as the angle decreases, the tension will decrease.

5. Can I use the equations for finding tension and angle in a real-world scenario?

Yes, the equations for finding tension and angle in a system of ropes can be applied to real-world scenarios. These equations are commonly used in engineering and physics to calculate the forces and angles in structures such as bridges or cranes. However, it is important to note that these equations may not account for all real-world factors and may need to be adjusted accordingly.