Find Temperature Formula for Varying Thermometer

• Thread starter slaw155
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermometer
T is temperature, x is the property that varies, k is a proportionality constant, and a is an offset. In this case, the property x is pressure and k and a are unknown. You can use the given data points (0degC = 10mmHg, 50degC = unknown pressure) to find the values of k and a and then use the equation to find the pressure at 50degC. In summary, the formula you are looking for is T = k.x + a, where T is temperature, x is pressure, k and a are unknown constants, and you can use known data points to find the values of k and a and then plug in the desired temperature to find the corresponding
slaw155

Homework Statement

What is the formula that allows you to find the temperature of any given thermometer that varies its temperature with some property? For example is a pressure of 10mmHg means 0degC, what would the pressure be at 50degC?

Homework Equations

This is what I'm looking for. I used to know the equation but I've completely forgotten.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't want the answer to my question, just the formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
slaw155 said:
What is the formula that allows you to find the temperature of any given thermometer that varies its temperature with some property? For example is a pressure of 10mmHg means 0degC, what would the pressure be at 50degC?
You are probably looking for a proportionality relationship, assuming the relation remains linear. Most linear relationships take the general form:

T = k.x + a

Related to Find Temperature Formula for Varying Thermometer

1. What is the formula for converting Celsius to Fahrenheit?

The formula for converting temperature from Celsius to Fahrenheit is:
F = (C x 9/5) + 32
where F is the temperature in Fahrenheit and C is the temperature in Celsius.

2. How do I convert temperature from Kelvin to Celsius?

To convert temperature from Kelvin to Celsius, you can use the following formula:
C = K - 273.15
where C is the temperature in Celsius and K is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What is the relationship between Fahrenheit and Celsius?

The relationship between Fahrenheit and Celsius is that they are two different scales for measuring temperature. Fahrenheit is commonly used in the United States and Celsius is used in most other countries. The two scales intersect at -40 degrees, and the conversion formula is:
F = (C x 9/5) + 32

4. How do I convert temperature from Fahrenheit to Kelvin?

To convert temperature from Fahrenheit to Kelvin, you can use the following formula:
K = (F - 32) x 5/9 + 273.15
where K is the temperature in Kelvin and F is the temperature in Fahrenheit.

5. Can I use the same formula to convert temperature for all types of thermometers?

Yes, the same formula can be used to convert temperature for all types of thermometers as long as they are measuring in the same scale (Celsius, Fahrenheit, or Kelvin). However, different types of thermometers may have different scales and therefore, may require different conversion formulas.