Find Tangential Component of Acceleration and Curvature

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations for tangential and centripetal acceleration and how they relate to the speed and motion of a particle. The participants also discuss how to apply these concepts to solve for the tangential acceleration in a given scenario.
CGI

Homework Statement

upload_2016-1-25_12-12-24.png

Homework Equations

I know that the tangential accel is v = wr
and that Centripetal = v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

For A, I thought it would be straight forward if I had the radius as well as omega. I know that the distance
between A and B is 60in, but I don't think it would be safe to assume that r = 60 or half of that would it?
For B, I'm not quite sure how to go about it unfortunately :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
CGI said:
I know that the tangential accel is v = wr
Note that you wrote an equation for speed and claimed that it is an equation for tangential acceleration.

For part (a) you need to know the relationship between the tangential component of acceleration and how the speed is changing.

Oh wow I read that wrong. That was the tangential speed. Not acceleration.

Hmm.. Okay. Well I know that at B, the velocity was only half of A's.

I think Tangential Acceleration is the change in speed of a particle so in this case, 1/2..

Is that correct?

Tangential acceleration is not the change in speed. It is the rate at which the speed is changing.

As far as tangential acceleration is concerned, it makes no difference whether the road is sinuous or straight. Thus, if you imagined the curvy road straightened out to a make a straight line, the change in speed from one end to the other would be the same if the tangential acceleration on the curvy road is the same as the acceleration along the straight line. Thus, you can use what you know about one-dimensional kinematics to help you solve part (a).

Related to Find Tangential Component of Acceleration and Curvature

1. What is the tangential component of acceleration?

The tangential component of acceleration is the part of an object's acceleration that is in the same direction as its velocity. It measures how quickly the speed of an object is changing.

2. How is the tangential component of acceleration calculated?

The tangential component of acceleration can be calculated by taking the derivative of the object's velocity with respect to time, or by using the formula at = vt/t, where at is the tangential acceleration, vt is the tangential velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the relationship between tangential component of acceleration and curvature?

The tangential component of acceleration and curvature are directly related. The tangential component of acceleration is equal to the curvature of the object's path multiplied by the square of its tangential velocity.

4. How does tangential component of acceleration affect circular motion?

In circular motion, the tangential component of acceleration is responsible for changing the direction of an object's velocity, while the radial component of acceleration is responsible for changing its speed. Together, these components keep the object moving in a circular path.

5. Can the tangential component of acceleration be negative?

Yes, the tangential component of acceleration can be negative. This indicates that the object's velocity is decreasing, or that it is accelerating in a direction opposite to its velocity. This can occur in situations like slowing down or changing direction.