Find Spring Constant: Prove 1/K_eff = 1/k_1 + 1/k_2

• Thread starter Fanta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Springs
In summary, the problem is to prove that the inverse of the effective spring constant is equal to the sum of the inverse of the individual spring constants. This can be shown by considering the forces on each spring, which are equal and can be represented by F = -kx, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement. Combining these forces, the resultant force can be expressed as F = -keff(x1+x2), where keff is the effective spring constant and x1 and x2 are the displacements of the individual springs. By setting these two equations equal to each other, the relationship 1/keff = 1/k1 + 1/k2 can be derived.
Fanta
Finding the given spring constant

Homework Statement

Consider the system represented on the figure, constituted by the mass m and two springs of constant k1 and k2.
(The image is attached)
Prove that:

[tex]\frac{1}{K_{eff}} = \frac{1}{k_{1}} + \frac{1}{k_{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]F = -kx [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to begin. I have to consider two different displacements: One for the first spring, and one for the second.
I think, but I am not sure, that I can consider both forces are equal.
So:

[tex] F1 = -k_{1} x_{1} [/tex]

[tex] F2 = -k_{2} x_{2} [/tex]

and

1)

[tex] F1 + F2 = 0 [/tex]

and a resultant force =

[tex] F_{r} = -k_{eff} x [/tex]

2)

[tex] x = x1 + x2 [/tex]

I tried making a system with equations 2 and 1, but I am getting nowhere. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• Sem título.JPG
    Sem título.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The force on both springs are equal i.e. F1=F2

Now the force on one spring is also equal to keff(x1+x2).

I think you can now find keff

rock.freak667 said:
Now the force on one spring is also equal to keff(x1+x2).

can you explain why is that so, please?

Fanta said:
can you explain why is that so, please?

The force on the spring should be the same throughout.

Like this i found it easy to do, thanks.

but isn't that the force for both springs combined?
I mean, you have the total displacement, and the Keff.

Or I can choose any of the springs, say F1 = Keff(x1+x2) ?

Last edited:
Fanta said:
Like this i found it easy to do, thanks.

but isn't that the force for both springs combined?
I mean, you have the total displacement, and the Keff.

Or I can choose any of the springs, say F1 = Keff(x1+x2) ?

You can choose any spring and it should work out.

Related to Find Spring Constant: Prove 1/K_eff = 1/k_1 + 1/k_2

1. How do you find the spring constant when given two springs in series?

To find the effective spring constant, or K_eff, when two springs are connected in series, you can use the formula 1/K_eff = 1/k_1 + 1/k_2, where k_1 and k_2 are the individual spring constants. This formula shows that the effective spring constant is equal to the sum of the reciprocals of the individual spring constants.

2. Why is the reciprocal used in the formula for finding the effective spring constant?

The reciprocal, or 1/x, is used in the formula because it represents the inverse relationship between the spring constant and the displacement of the spring. This means that as the spring constant increases, the displacement decreases, and vice versa. By taking the reciprocal, we can combine the individual spring constants to find the overall effective spring constant.

3. Can this formula be applied to more than two springs in series?

Yes, this formula can be applied to any number of springs in series. The formula would be expanded to include the reciprocals of all the individual spring constants, such as 1/K_eff = 1/k_1 + 1/k_2 + 1/k_3 + ... + 1/k_n, where n is the number of springs in series.

4. Is the formula for finding the effective spring constant the same for springs in parallel?

No, the formula for finding the effective spring constant for springs in parallel is different. For parallel springs, the formula is K_eff = k_1 + k_2 + k_3 + ... + k_n, where k_1, k_2, etc. are the individual spring constants. This is because in parallel, the effective spring constant is equal to the sum of the individual spring constants.

5. How accurate is this formula for finding the effective spring constant?

This formula is an ideal equation and may not be entirely accurate in real-life situations. Factors such as material fatigue, friction, and non-linearities can affect the accurate calculation of the effective spring constant. It is important to consider these factors when using this formula in practical applications.