Find speed of quasar from observed and actual wavelength readings

In summary, astronomers on Earth observe a feature at 442 nm in the spectrum of a distant quasar. However, it is known that this feature corresponds to 581 nm in the rest frame of the quasar. Calculate the speed of the quasar. Enter your answer as a fraction of the speed of light, positive if the quasar is approaching, negative if it's receding.The quasar and the observer are moving towards each other, so the ratio should be 1+v/c, not 1-v/c. Your calculation, which is correct, also shows that.
Sarial
1. Astronomers on Earth observe a feature at 442 nm in the spectrum of a distant quasar. However, it is known that this feature corresponds to 581 nm in the rest frame of the quasar. Calculate the speed of the quasar. Enter your answer as a fraction of the speed of light, positive if the quasar is approaching, negative if it's receding.

Homework Equations

I used
6be9a7bd1b2910eccce5e1c51268ebd4.png

The Attempt at a Solution

It was easier for me to think about this in terms of frequency than wavelength, so I converted the wavelengths into frequency by using
c = speed of light
L = lambda, wavelength
f = frequency
u = speed of source

c/L = f

So 3e8/442e-9 = 6.79e14
3e8/581e-9 = 5.16e14

So the observed frequency is 6.79e14 Hz and the actual frequency is 5.16e14 Hz.

fobs=(1-u/c)femitted

6.79e14 = (1-u/c)(5.16e14)

1.316 = 1-u/c

.316=-u/c

-.316c=u

Now, this isn't right. I'm using (1-u/c) versus (1+u/c) because the relative speed of the object is negative if they're approaching, and the wavelength is getting blueshifted, so they're moving towards each other. However, that produces a negative answer, and the question states to enter a positive answer if they're moving towards each other.

Anyone see any mistakes in my work?

Thanks a lot in advance~

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump? :( I don't know where else to go with this

Bump. Due at 10 PM EST tonight

It's simply that your equation is wrong. The quasar and the observer are moving towards each other, so the ratio should be 1+v/c, not 1-v/c. Your calculation, which is correct, also shows that.

I tried +.314 and still no luck. I must be making a tiny mistake somewhere, and I just can't find it.

Suppose that your calculation is correct. We all know that they are approaching each other at +0.314c. But in your formula, the minus sign means that v is the speed at which they are going away from each other. Therefore, that v is negative means that they are approaching each other, which matches the expected phenomenon.

I believe the +/- discrepancy, but the .314 apparently isn't right either :\

Ohhh. That could be it. I'll try that soon, thank you. You should use the relativistic formula for .10c+?

It depends, but generally, yup :)

Yes! Thank you. I knew it was something small like that. .267c was the right answer, and using gamma sorted it all out!

Case closed :P

Related to Find speed of quasar from observed and actual wavelength readings

What is a quasar?

A quasar is a highly energetic and distant astronomical object that emits large amounts of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, radio waves, and X-rays.

What is the observed wavelength?

The observed wavelength is the wavelength of light that is measured by a telescope or other instrument on Earth or in space.

What is the actual wavelength?

The actual wavelength is the original wavelength of light emitted by the quasar before it reaches Earth. This can be calculated using the known redshift of the quasar.

How are observed and actual wavelengths used to find the speed of a quasar?

The observed and actual wavelengths are used to calculate the redshift of the quasar, which is a measure of how much the light has been stretched as it travels through space. This redshift can then be used to calculate the velocity of the quasar using the Hubble's law.

Why is it important to find the speed of a quasar?

Knowing the speed of a quasar can provide valuable information about the motion and distance of the object, as well as its evolution and the structure of the universe. It can also help scientists better understand the processes that occur within quasars and how they relate to other objects in the universe.