Find Speed of Particles in B-Field

• Thread starter Bert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    B-field
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed of particles entering a B-field and the correct calculation to use. The correct calculation is determined to be v = \sqrt{ \frac{2 \ . \ 1,602 . 10^{-14} } {10 ^{-27} } }, with the only mistake being the incorrect mass of a proton.
Bert
given is:
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6684/oplosqa0.jpg

So if you have a question with a B-field you need any speed given from the particles who entering in this field.
Who can I find this speed? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bert said:
given is:
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6684/oplosqa0.jpg

So if you have a question with a B-field you need any speed given from the particles who entering in this field.
Who can I find this speed? Thanks.

Get the speed from the kinetic energy 100keV.

Last edited by a moderator:
I try this but I fail so:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}m . v^2=U[/tex]
then we have
[tex]1,602 \ . \ 10^{-19} \ . \ 1 . \ 10^5=1,602 \ . \ 10^{-14}= \frac{1}{2} 10^{-27}.v^2 [/tex]

so [tex]v[/tex] must be [tex]\sqrt{ \frac{2 \ . \ 1,602 . 10^{-14} } {10 ^{-27} } }[/tex]

is this correct?

Bert said:
I try this but I fail so:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}m . v^2=U[/tex]
then we have
[tex]1,602 \ . \ 10^{-19} \ . \ 1 . \ 10^5=1,602 \ . \ 10^{-14}= \frac{1}{2} 10^{-27}.v^2 [/tex]

so [tex]v[/tex] must be [tex]\sqrt{ \frac{2 \ . \ 1,602 . 10^{-14} } {10 ^{-27} } }[/tex]

is this correct?

mass of a proton = [tex]1.67*10^{-27}kg[/tex]. Other than that everything looks good.

Thanks.

Related to Find Speed of Particles in B-Field

What is the equation for finding the speed of particles in a magnetic field?

The equation for finding the speed of particles in a magnetic field is v = qB/m, where v is the speed, q is the charge of the particle, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and m is the mass of the particle.

How do I determine the direction of the particle's velocity in a magnetic field?

The direction of the particle's velocity in a magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the particle's velocity, and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, the direction your palm faces will be the direction of the particle's velocity.

Can the speed of a particle in a magnetic field change?

Yes, the speed of a particle in a magnetic field can change if the strength of the magnetic field or the charge/mass of the particle changes. The direction of the particle's velocity can also change if the direction of the magnetic field changes.

Why is it important to know the speed of particles in a magnetic field?

Knowing the speed of particles in a magnetic field is important in various fields of science, such as particle physics and astrophysics. It can help us understand the behavior of charged particles in different environments and how they interact with magnetic fields.

Are there any real-world applications of finding the speed of particles in a magnetic field?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of finding the speed of particles in a magnetic field. Some examples include particle accelerators, MRI machines, and the study of Earth's magnetic field and its effects on charged particles in space.