Is Artificial Intelligence Really 'Artificial'?

• Thread starter LogicalAtheist
  • Start date
That is certainly not true, as I have shown.In summary, the conversation revolves around the definitions of "intelligence" and "artificial" and whether or not man-made computers can be considered artificial. The original poster argues that the term "artificial" should not be applied to all non-organic intelligence, while another poster brings up the point that brains do more than process numerical data and therefore cannot be considered computers. The conversation also delves into the definition of "natural" and whether or not man-made objects can be considered natural.
LogicalAtheist
Mentat's original post "not artifical" brought me to some info that poured out as I was typing it, so I thought I'd post it here because it revives his post and will open up some new information regarding his original post.

Here is his original post:

As many of you know, I object to the reference of all intelligence, other than that of organic beings, as being "artificial". That is the point of this thread. Here are the definitions of the key-words, "intelligence" and "artifical":

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Merriam-Webster definition of "intelligence"
Main Entry: in·tel·li·gence
Pronunciation: in-'te-l&-j&n(t)s
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin intelligentia, from intelligent-, intelligens intelligent
Date: 14th century
1 a (1) : the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations : REASON; also : the skilled use of reason (2) : the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly as measured by objective criteria (as tests)...

5 : the ability to perform computer functions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Webster's definition of "artificial"

2. Feigned, fictitious; not genuine or natural; as artificial tears.

I have not included all definitions of "artificial" because I only object to the application of this (the quoted) one.

It seems as though many (maybe most) people believe that the intelligence of a man-made computer is "artificial", or not genuine. I disagree. I think that a man-made computer can ("can" is a key-word, as my argument has nothing to do with the current limits of technology) posses all of the qualities listed in the above definition of "intelligence", and that there is nothing ingenuine about it.

What is your opinion (please give the reason for choosing as you do)?

Next I will post my reply, which was not my first.

Physics news on Phys.org
I replied

Although mentat has made false statements surely unknowlingly as I don't doubt honest, and although he has broken rule 3 which I am about to add to my signature because it's very common now too, I have a tidbit to help his case, least i hope so.

Brains of species are defined as complex or advanced based on the amount of neaural connections, nerves I should say thus the amount of possibilities, and other similar critera. Of course taking notice of which parts of the brain a species has is also important.

Recently I saw some tech shows involving advanced intelligence. They compared these machines to humans brains by the amount of "electrical" connections in them VS the brain.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION.

The brain "does what it does" using two things

1. chemical interactions
2. electrical interactions.

The brain is entirely nerve cells. WITHIN a nerve cell, is the electrical reaction. BETWEEN NERVE cells is where the chemical interactions take place.

Now, since a given pice of technology would NOT need to have this between space, it could surely immitate a brain using only electricity.

suprised? Yes, indeed. Our brain processes are completely ELECTROCHEMICAL. That is the summation of processes by which we "think" and do other things like access memories or gain new ones.

So, I ask you, is a machine that uses only electrochemical interactions to process information artifical?

If so, then are we artifical? Despite what many wish to believe, that is all we consist of brainwise.

Perhaps the difference lies in the "nature" of what we can do with our brains?

I machine can access information, accept new information, change information and output information.

When can it USE information to create ITS OWN NEW INFORMATION?

Ever heard of DEEP BLUE?

DEEP BLUE is the considered currently the most intelligent machine. It is a machine that is designed to do one thing. play chess better than any human being, and never lose.

Yes it does lose. It also is designed to think. rather than having an entire program of all moves possible, and simply accessing that. It does this "thinking" thing.

It uses electricity, no chemicals.

Is it artifical, and if so why? If you need information on in just use google and type "deep blue" and add perhaps chess..I'll post this in it's own place because I suppose it will add a lot to mentat's questions and propsitons...

Artifical - Resulting from non-organic processes. Made in imitation of something natural. Let's work on this definition some more.

Natural - Resulting from and consisting of earthly organic molecules.

Computer - A machine which processes numerical data. ONLY does that, however machine can be removed from definition if needed.

Intelligence - (only easy to define in terms of non-human
intelligence in this discussion). Ability to use information to create new information.

Man-made - Perhaps impossible to define! for this argument let's suffice to say a computer is man made. This in no way makes it artificial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by LogicalAtheist
Artifical - Made in imitation of something natural

Natural - Resulting from and consisting of earthly organic molecules.

So, a natural thing must be organic? The metals are not natural?

Computer - A machine which processes numerical data. ONLY does that, however machine can be removed from definition if needed.

No, "machine" need not be removed, as it fits perfectly well with the idea that human brains are computers. Humans bodies are machines, which house the most complex computer (known to man), the brain.

Ahh, but brains do more than process numerical data. Thus they are NOT computers.

That was the point of my definition.

That definition of a computer is so common I've never heard another, what is yours and I'll see what I think but I believe that's the proper one.

PS: my definition for natural is flawed, as you have pointed out. Let me get back to you with a better one.

Ahh, but brains do more than process numerical data. Thus they are NOT computers.

Says who? If (in the future) humankind produces AI, that "computer" will be able to be creative, and emotional, and all of the other things that humans are. Will that make it any less a "computer"?

That was the point of my definition.

That definition of a computer is so common I've never heard another, what is yours and I'll see what I think but I believe that's the proper one.

Well, my problem with it is when you add the postulate that that's all it does. I disagree, as all process of the brain are produced by the same electrochemical reactions, and are thus related in nature, are they not?

PS: my definition for natural is flawed, as you have pointed out. Let me get back to you with a better one.

Good man. I really (honestly) admire that you can admit a flaw in something you said. It's more than can be said for some of the other members.

MENTAT'S QUESTION:

Is the intelligence of a man-made computer artifical?

Defining terms (by LA)

Intelligence - The ability to use existing information to create new and unique information.

Man-Made - for our discussion we will assume the human brain is NOT man-made and that a computer IS.

Computer - an object which can only process numerical data.

Natural - Consisting only of existing elements occurring in nature.

NonOrganic - Natural mass which are not considered organic molecules.

Organic - Natural mass which contains only molecules considered organic

Problems I have:

1. Be my definitions, which I feel are pretty well-considered, a computer cannot possibly have intelligence in the first place.

2. Since we are speaking of a computer that DOES have intelligence (by my definition) let us call such an object an INTELLIGENT MASS.

THus a brain and such a object mentat is describing are both INGELLIGENT MASSES.

SO the question :

BECOMES

How can we speak of differences between the brain INTELLIGENT MASS and an INTELLIGENT MASS that was designed by humans?

This should make it better.

Mentat - I am enjoying this, so thus far let me know anything we need to agree on from here, and then we will speak of the reformed question.

:smile:

I think the problem is mostly going to be in the word ARTIFICAL.

It doesn't really apply well to the higher level of discussion we're speaking of.

We have something to say of intelligence, of man-made, and of such an object that exhibits intelligence. But the differences between the brain and MENTATS MASS as we can now call it, heh I bet you like that, are difficult

Difference 1: The brain is electrochemical. I would presume that MENTATS MASS would be purely electrical. Although it could be both, it seems the electricty could achieve what the brain does, as the brain uses chemicals only between nerves, and no such gap would exist logically.

So we're comparing an electrochemical MASS with a electrical MASS.

MENTAT'S QUESTION:

To be perfectly clear, the question is: "is the intelligence of a man-made computer genuine or not?"

Intelligence - The ability to use existing information to create new and unique information.

That's creativity. Intelligence is just the ability to process new knowledge (dictionary definition).

Man-Made - for our discussion we will assume the human brain is NOT man-made and that a computer IS.

Fine.

Computer - an object which can only process numerical data.

That defies the very name of the machine: "computer". A "computer" is something that "computes".

Natural - Consisting only of existing elements occurring in nature.

Don't metals occur in nature? As a matter of fact, all elements occur in Nature.

Problems I have:

1. Be my definitions, which I feel are pretty well-considered, a computer cannot possibly have intelligence in the first place.

Exactly, because your definitions were designed that way.

2. Since we are speaking of a computer that DOES have intelligence (by my definition) let us call such an object an INTELLIGENT MASS.

THus a brain and such a object mentat is describing are both INGELLIGENT MASSES.

SO the question :

BECOMES

How can we speak of differences between the brain INTELLIGENT MASS and an INTELLIGENT MASS that was designed by humans?

Fine, let's discuss that (btw, you can explain in one post, you have plenty of room).

Mentat - I am enjoying this

That's good, I hope you enjoy debating your points as well.

I think the problem is mostly going to be in the word ARTIFICAL.

It doesn't really apply well to the higher level of discussion we're speaking of.

We have something to say of intelligence, of man-made, and of such an object that exhibits intelligence. But the differences between the brain and MENTATS MASS as we can now call it, heh I bet you like that, are difficult

Difference 1: The brain is electrochemical. I would presume that MENTATS MASS would be purely electrical. Although it could be both, it seems the electricty could achieve what the brain does, as the brain uses chemicals only between nerves, and no such gap would exist logically.

So why did you say that this was a "difference"?

So we're comparing an electrochemical MASS with a electrical MASS.

What's wrong with that? You said yourself, "it seems the electricity could achieve what the brain does...".

I was awaiting your return. I'll type this out rather than do all these quoting things:

1. Ok, if we say intelligence can be genuine or artificial, then the goal is to figure out which it is.

2. Mentat said: "Intelligence is just the ability to process new knowledge (dictionary definition)."

My dictionary says to process AND apply knowledge. The apply is important. My calculator can process information (add two numbers) but it cannot apply it's data.

3. You've opened up a new definition: process, so please define!

4. I don't understand what you are saying about my definition of COMPUTER. to COMPUTER is to process numberical data, is it not?

REFORMED question: Is the intelligence of a man-made computer genuine or artificial?

My largest problem is COMPUTER. All my sources say a computer is something that computes, and to compute is to process numerical data. By this, a computer couldn't have intelligence, because intelligence requires an application of knowledge, not just a processing of it.

My suggestion is that we replace computer with MENTAT'S MASS - being a machine that can not only process data but can produce new and unique data based on previous data. the M MASS is also man-made, so we can combine terms and shorten the question:

Is the intelligence of Mentat's Mass genuine, or artificial?

Now we need to come to terms on INTELLIGENCE, GENUINE, and ARTIFICAL.

Here are my definitions of these, let's work on these three first:

Intelligence - the specific ability to create new and unique information from previous information (practically put, a machine can produce data that is not in its memory).

Genuine and artificial - No idea what me, you or anyone really means of these terms. You go first on these two

I don't have a problem with comparing an electrochemical and electrical objects, just wanted to point it out.

1. Ok, if we say intelligence can be genuine or artificial, then the goal is to figure out which it is.

That's an interesting point. I was trying to show that intelligence couldn't actuallly be artificial, but I suppose this is an equally meritable question.

2. Mentat said: "Intelligence is just the ability to process new knowledge (dictionary definition)."

My dictionary says to process AND apply knowledge. The apply is important. My calculator can process information (add two numbers) but it cannot apply it's data.

Actually it can. You see, to process information = to take in knowledge; while to apply knowledge = to do something with that knowledge (like making connections, as does your calculator).

3. You've opened up a new definition: process, so please define!

(See above).

4. I don't understand what you are saying about my definition of COMPUTER. to COMPUTE is to process numberical data, is it not?

No. To compute is to "reckon" or "calculate". To "calculate" (according to Merriam-Webster) is to:

1 a : to determine by mathematical processes b : to reckon by exercise of practical judgment : ESTIMATE c : to solve or probe the meaning of : FIGURE OUT <trying to calculate his expression -- Hugh MacLennan>
2 : to design or adapt for a purpose

REFORMED question: Is the intelligence of a man-made computer genuine or artificial?

Yes, this is closer to my original question.

My largest problem is COMPUTER. All my sources say a computer is something that computes, and to compute is to process numerical data. By this, a computer couldn't have intelligence, because intelligence requires an application of knowledge, not just a processing of it.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary (the first dictionary on my "search") gave the definitions that I mentioned above.

My suggestion is that we replace computer with MENTAT'S MASS - being a machine that can not only process data but can produce new and unique data based on previous data. the M MASS is also man-made, so we can combine terms and shorten the question:

Is the intelligence of Mentat's Mass genuine, or artificial?

This is an equally meritable question, but please take note of the aforementioned definition of "computer".

Now we need to come to terms on INTELLIGENCE, GENUINE, and ARTIFICAL.

Here are my definitions of these, let's work on these three first:

Intelligence - the specific ability to create new and unique information from previous information (practically put, a machine can produce data that is not in its memory).

I don't agree that that's what "intelligence" is. Intelligence is just processing data.

Genuine and artificial - No idea what me, you or anyone really means of these terms. You go first on these two

For the purpose of this discussion, "artificial" means "not genuine".

"Genuine" means:

From Merriam-Webster Dictionary
1 a : actually having the reputed or apparent qualities or character <genuine vintage wines> b : actually produced by or proceeding from the alleged source or author <the signature is genuine>
d : ACTUAL, TRUE <a genuine improvement>

Ok, further work on intelligence needs to be done.

Let me explain why I use my definition.

To use previously processed (and stored) information to produce NEW information.

My calculator cannot produce NEW information. It has a program in it that tells it what every two numbers are, when added and subtracted (note multiplying and dividing are merely advanced additions and subtractions).

All my calculator can do is, then, add and subtract. I will NEVER EVER produce information to me that isn't already in it the moment it's finished being made.

Can we agree on that?

I call that processing information. Likewise, if we move that into humans. Mentat's what's your hair color? Your answer is merely processing information (retrieving your hair color, which takes a lot of detailed processes I won't go in to) and telling me.

Hard to think of an example of what intelligence IS. Let's try this

If I asked you my hair color, when we met, that might work. Because, you would see my hair, and have to compare what you see with previously processed data (what your brain knows of colors). For exmaple, if I met you in the dark of night, you would have to think, hmm, what might this look like in normal light, do I think it's black or just dark brown? Is the lighter parts (from slits of a light beam hitting my head) the more accurate color, or the dark parts?

You'd be using data. You've seen someones hair in normal light, and know what that looks like in dark light, thus you could reverse this porocess.

It's crude, but somewhere there appears to me to be SOMETHING MORE than merely what I put above it.

Ok, further work on intelligence needs to be done.

I'm cool with that.

Let me explain why I use my definition.

To use previously processed (and stored) information to produce NEW information.

My calculator cannot produce NEW information. It has a program in it that tells it what every two numbers are, when added and subtracted (note multiplying and dividing are merely advanced additions and subtractions).

All my calculator can do is, then, add and subtract. I will NEVER EVER produce information to me that isn't already in it the moment it's finished being made.

Can we agree on that?

Sure, I agree with that. I would, of course, explain that by saying that 1) your calculator is not supposed to be intelligent; and 2) if it's original programming were more complex, it would be able to attain to actual (if a little primitive) intelligence.

I call that processing information.

Likewise, if we move that into humans. Mentat's what's your hair color? Your answer is merely processing information (retrieving your hair color, which takes a lot of detailed processes I won't go in to) and telling me.

Yeah, that requires intelligence - both to understand your question, and to give an answer, based on my knowledge.

Hard to think of an example of what intelligence IS. Let's try this

If I asked you my hair color, when we met, that might work. Because, you would see my hair, and have to compare what you see with previously processed data (what your brain knows of colors). For exmaple, if I met you in the dark of night, you would have to think, hmm, what might this look like in normal light, do I think it's black or just dark brown? Is the lighter parts (from slits of a light beam hitting my head) the more accurate color, or the dark parts?

You are describing imagination/creativity in this last part. Also, a calculator cannot take in new information (which is why I said that it wasn't intended to be intelligent), but I can - and when I take in the new information relating to your hair color, I then draw on what I already know, and come to a conclusion.

" I then draw on what I already know, and come to a conclusion."

Exactly, and that's the difference.

When I type in 9 times 9 in my calculator, it doesn DRAW ON what it knows to give me the answer. It simply displayed the answer it's programmed to give.

You on other hand hand, do not already have the answer. You look at your memory and give an answer. If you already had the answer, you could not possible be incorrect, you see?

I calculator cannot be incorrect (assuming it's programmed answers are correct). You however can be wrong, because you're making an ASSERTION on top of your memorized knowledge, that's intelligence, ability to make that assertion.

You're referring to creativty, nearly what I call intelligence. Creativity doesn't exist to me.

Intelligence is making an assertion based on data, not simply accessing data you already have. thus it's NEW information.

For instance let's turn to deep blue again. Unlikes those cheap kmart chess teachers, deep blue is not programmed with every move for every situation that's best, and does not simply choose the one move it's programmed to make based on the position of EVERYPIECE on the board.

Instead deep blue makes an assertion based on informaton. It can be incorrect, and it has been, because it's been beat.

Does this clear anything up?

" I then draw on what I already know, and come to a conclusion."

Exactly, and that's the difference.

When I type in 9 times 9 in my calculator, it doesn DRAW ON what it knows to give me the answer. It simply displayed the answer it's programmed to give.

You on other hand hand, do not already have the answer. You look at your memory and give an answer. If you already had the answer, you could not possible be incorrect, you see?

I calculator cannot be incorrect (assuming it's programmed answers are correct). You however can be wrong, because you're making an ASSERTION on top of your memorized knowledge, that's intelligence, ability to make that assertion.

You are missing the fact that a calculator was not programmed to be intelligent. I was. This means that I am capable of taking in a new piece of knowledge. A calculator cannot do that. So, if you add this bit of reasoning (the taking in of new bits of knowledge) to your understanding, you are probably right (or, at least, I'll probably agree with you).

You're referring to creativty, nearly what I call intelligence. Creativity doesn't exist to me.

That's what all uncreative people say .

Intelligence is making an assertion based on data, not simply accessing data you already have. thus it's NEW information.

Yes, you are correct, and that means that the only reason a calculator isn't intelligent is that it is incapable of ever taking in a new piece of knowledge.

1. What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)?

Artificial Intelligence, often abbreviated as AI, is a branch of computer science that focuses on creating intelligent machines that can think and act like humans. This involves the development of algorithms and programs that can analyze data, make decisions, and solve problems.

2. Is Artificial Intelligence really 'artificial'?

The term "artificial" in Artificial Intelligence refers to the fact that these machines are created and programmed by humans, rather than occurring naturally. However, the intelligence exhibited by AI systems can be very similar to that of humans, leading to debates about whether it can truly be considered "artificial."

3. How does Artificial Intelligence work?

Artificial Intelligence systems are created using algorithms and machine learning techniques that allow them to analyze data, learn from it, and make decisions based on that information. These systems are often trained on large datasets to improve their accuracy and performance.

4. What are the different types of Artificial Intelligence?

There are three main types of Artificial Intelligence: narrow or weak AI, general or strong AI, and artificial superintelligence. Narrow AI is designed to perform specific tasks, while general AI aims to mimic human intelligence and can handle a wider range of tasks. Artificial superintelligence refers to AI that surpasses human intelligence.

5. What are the potential risks of Artificial Intelligence?

Some of the potential risks of Artificial Intelligence include job displacement, biased decision-making, and the possibility of AI systems becoming too advanced and uncontrollable. It is important for researchers and developers to consider these risks and work towards creating ethical and responsible AI systems.