Find Sin θ and D in Diffraction Equation

• Thread starter magma_saber
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffraction
In summary, to find "sinθ" and "d" in the diffraction equation, use the formula n(lambda) = d(sinθ) and solve for θ by using θ = sin-1x and solve for d by using the equation (n)(lambda)=(d)(sinθ).
magma_saber

Homework Statement

I have to find "sinθ" and "d" in the diffraction equation.

Homework Equations

The formula is n(lambda) = d(sinθ)
I have the n, length, width, and hypotenuse.
http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=captureee1.jpg
n=1, L=335 W=42.5 hyp=337.8

The Attempt at a Solution

I forgot how to get the angle for sin. So I'm pretty much stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

magma_saber said:
I have to find "sinθ" and "d" in the diffraction equation.

The formula is n(lambda) = d(sinθ)
I have the n, length, width, and hypotenuse.
http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=captureee1.jpg
n=1, L=335 W=42.5 hyp=337.8

…I forgot how to get the angle for sin. So I'm pretty much stuck.

Hi magma_saber! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Do you mean that if you have, say sinθ = x, you want to get θ as a function of x?

If so, the solution is θ = sin-1x (also written arcsin(x)), which most electronic calculators will do … alternatively, use sine tables "backwards"! :wink:

Or am I misunderstanding the problem? :confused:

I got sinθ. In my book it says sinθ = opposite over hypotenuse. By doing that i got 42.5/337.8. so sinθ should equal 0.126 right?
Now how do i get "d"? The equation is (n)(lambda)=(d)(sinθ). lambda is 650 btw.
So would this be the equation?
(1)(650)=d(sin0.126)

anyone?

magma_saber said:
I got sinθ. In my book it says sinθ = opposite over hypotenuse. By doing that i got 42.5/337.8. so sinθ should equal 0.126 right?
Now how do i get "d"? The equation is (n)(lambda)=(d)(sinθ). lambda is 650 btw.
So would this be the equation?
(1)(650)=d(sin0.126)

Hi magma_saber! :smile:

I think people have been avoiding answering because you haven't made it clear what W and d are. :confused:

If the correct equation is (n)(lambda)=(d)(sinθ), and if W and hyp are the correct opposite and hypotenuse, then 650 = d times 0.126. :smile:

(not sin(0.126) … 0.126 is the sin :wink:)

thanks i got it now.

Related to Find Sin θ and D in Diffraction Equation

1. What is the diffraction equation?

The diffraction equation is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of waves as they pass through a barrier or opening. It is used to calculate the size and direction of the diffracted wave based on the size of the barrier or opening and the wavelength of the wave.

2. How do I find the value of sin θ in the diffraction equation?

To find the value of sin θ in the diffraction equation, you will need to know the wavelength of the wave, the size of the barrier or opening, and the distance from the barrier or opening to the point where you want to find the value of sin θ. You can then use the formula sin θ = λ/D, where λ is the wavelength and D is the distance, to calculate the value of sin θ.

3. What is the significance of sin θ in the diffraction equation?

Sin θ in the diffraction equation represents the angle at which the diffracted wave will travel after passing through a barrier or opening. It is an important factor in determining the direction and intensity of the diffracted wave.

4. How do I find the value of D in the diffraction equation?

To find the value of D in the diffraction equation, you will need to know the wavelength of the wave, the size of the barrier or opening, and the value of sin θ. You can then rearrange the formula sin θ = λ/D to solve for D, resulting in the formula D = λ/sin θ. This will give you the distance from the barrier or opening to the point where you want to find the value of sin θ.

5. What are the units of measurement for sin θ and D in the diffraction equation?

The units of measurement for sin θ and D in the diffraction equation will depend on the units used for the wavelength and distance. Generally, sin θ is a dimensionless quantity, while D can be measured in meters, centimeters, or any other unit of length.