Find separation between these two particles - kinematics

In summary, position refers to an object's location in space while displacement is the change in position from its initial to final position. Velocity is the rate of change of displacement over time and is a vector quantity. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t. Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a specific time interval while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. To find the separation between two particles using kinematics, you would need to know their initial positions and velocities and use the formula d = vi*t + 1/2at^2.
a150daysflood

Homework Statement

Two particles A and B are projected from the same point O with angle speed 30degree from the horizontal. If A has the speed of projection equal to (7)^0.5m/s and B has twice the projection speed,find the separation between them,when their velocities are mutually perpendicular to each other.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't solve it.
I need hints regarding the perpendicular part,how can i form an equation linking both of them?
Or anything link between the perpendicular part.
Thanks for helping.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need an equation for the velocity vector of each particle as a function of time. When you have them, take the dot product and set it equal to zero and solve for t. That's when they are perpendicular.

Dick said:
You need an equation for the velocity vector of each particle as a function of time. When you have them, take the dot product and set it equal to zero and solve for t. That's when they are perpendicular.

Can you explain slightly more? I still don't quite understand.
if i set the dot product to 0,isn't it the maximum point?
thanks for helping

The dot product between two vectors a.b=|a|*|b|*cos(theta) where theta is the angle between them. So being perpendicular means the dot product is zero. This is not like setting a derivative to zero.

If you have
[tex]\vec{V}_{A}(t)[/tex]
and
[tex]\vec{V}_{B}(t)[/tex]

then you can find the time when their velocities are perpendicular.

If two vectors are perpendicular, then their dot product is zero. It is crucial that you understand this point.

Because cos(90) is zero thus their dot product is zero right?
by the way,any website that can help in explaining how to derive the velocity as a function of time?
Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
You use split the motion into x and y components and use kinematical equations. Like y(t)=y0+vy0*t+(1/2)*g*t^2. Does that look familiar? Do you know how to find the position as a function of time? Then just differentiate it.

nicktacik said:
If you have
[tex]\vec{V}_{A}(t)[/tex]
and
[tex]\vec{V}_{B}(t)[/tex]

then you can find the time when their velocities are perpendicular.

If two vectors are perpendicular, then their dot product is zero. It is crucial that you understand this point.

okay thanks :)

Last edited:
So,
B( 2 x 7^(0.5) x cos(30) , 2 x 7^(0.5) x sin(30) -9.81t )
A( 7^(0.5) x cos(30) , 7^(0.5) x sin(30) -9.81t )

When i use dot product,i get this :
21/2 + 7/2 -26.0t - 13.0t + 96.2t² = 0
96.2t² - 39.0t + 14 = 0
I can't solve this equation,where did i went wrong?
Anyone please correct me.
Thanks a lot :smile:

Uh, I think your equation is pretty close to correct. That you can't find a real solution would mean there is no solution and not that you did something wrong. Which is funny, because the original phrasing of the problem seem to imply you would find one. Thinking...

You can think of it this way. If the initial speeds were equal, the vectors would never be perpendicular. And if they were close to equal the same is true. I'm getting that you need the speed factor to be somewhere over 10 before they are ever perpendicular. Where did you get this problem?

one of my problems for my physics olympiad training,i can't seem to solve any of them on my own probably due to lack of knowledge about calculus.
i only learned c mathematics and not further mathematics.i have to read up on dot product for this question.
anyone interesting in teaching some other questions can PM me. Thanks for your help and time.Have a good day. :smile:

The answer given to me for that question is 0.51m.
wonder if anyone can shed more light about this question..

Last edited:
a150daysflood said:
one of my problems for my physics olympiad training,i can't seem to solve any of them on my own probably due to lack of knowledge about calculus.
i only have a level's calculus knowledge.i have to read up quite a few on dot product for this question.
anyone interesting in teaching some other questions can PM me. Thanks for your help and time.Have a good day. :smile:

The answer given to me for that question is 0.51m.
wonder if anyone can shed more light about this question..

Did you give the question exactly as it is written? I solved the problem, and I got the same equation you did...

learningphysics said:
Did you give the question exactly as it is written? I solved the problem, and I got the same equation you did...

yea i copied it word for word.

a150daysflood said:
yea i copied it word for word.

Hmmm... something fishy. I wouldn't worry about it... I think the way you solved it was right... I think there's no solution to this question as it is written. ie the velocities are never perpendicular.

Last edited:

Related to Find separation between these two particles - kinematics

1. What is the difference between position and displacement?

Position refers to the location of an object in space, while displacement is the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position.

2. How is velocity related to displacement?

Velocity is defined as the rate of change of displacement over time. It is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction.

3. What is the formula for calculating acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. Can you explain the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a specific time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time.

5. How do you find the separation between two particles using kinematics?

To find the separation between two particles, you would need to know the initial positions and velocities of both particles and use the formula d = vi*t + 1/2at^2, where d is the separation, vi is the initial velocity, t is time, and a is acceleration.