Find Second Derivative of f(x)= x^(2/3) (6-x)^(1/3)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the second derivative of the function f(x)= x^(2/3) (6-x)^(1/3). The person has already found the first derivative and checked their solution, but they are having trouble reaching the final answer. They mention using the product rule and ask for help with simplifying the formula. They also mention finding incorrect prefactors for v'(x) and using exponentiation rules to simplify the equation. The expert then provides a summary of their solution for the second derivative.
FChebli
How do I find the second derivative of the function:

f(x)= x^(2/3) (6-x)^(1/3)

I have found the first derivative and checked my solution:

′()= 4− / ^(1/3) (6−)^(2/3)

The final solution is supposed to be:

''()= -8 / ^(4/3) (6−)^(5/3)

I know almost all the steps but I couldn't reach the final answer! Can you please help me?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
but I couldn't reach the final answer!
What did you get?
Which differentiation rules do you know?
It is impossible to see what you did wrong if you don't show your work.

I think your f'(x) and f''(x) are missing brackets.

let
$$\mathrm{f}(x)=\mathrm{u}(x)\mathrm{v}(x) \\
\text{with} \\
\mathrm{u}(x)=x^{2/3} \\
\mathrm{v}(x)=(6-x)^{1/3} $$
By the product rule
$$\mathrm{f}^{\prime \prime}(x)=\mathrm{u}^{\prime \prime}(x)\mathrm{v}(x)+2\mathrm{u}^{ \prime}(x)\mathrm{v}^{\prime }(x)+\mathrm{u}(x)\mathrm{v}^{\prime \prime}(x)$$
what did you find for
u'(x)
u''(x)
v'(x)
v''(x)
?

Likes 1 person
lurflurf said:
let
$$\mathrm{f}(x)=\mathrm{u}(x)\mathrm{v}(x) \\
\text{with} \\
\mathrm{u}(x)=x^{2/3} \\
\mathrm{v}(x)=(6-x)^{1/3} $$
By the product rule
$$\mathrm{f}^{\prime \prime}(x)=\mathrm{u}^{\prime \prime}(x)\mathrm{v}(x)+2\mathrm{u}^{ \prime}(x)\mathrm{v}^{\prime }(x)+\mathrm{u}(x)\mathrm{v}^{\prime \prime}(x)$$
?

Where did you get this formula from? How did you wind up to this product rule?

I got u'(x) = (2/3) x^(-1/3)
u''(x) = (-2/9) x^(-4/3)

v'(x) = -(1/3) < (6-x)^(-2/3) >
v''(x) = -(2/9) < (6-x)^(-5/3) >

using your formula it's difficult to simplify after this step

< (-2/9) (x^(-4/3)) ((6-x)^(1/3)) > + < (-4/9) (x^(-1/3)) ((6-x)^(-2/3)) > + < (-2/9) (x^(2/3)) ((6-x)^(-5/3)) >

lurfturf used the product rule both for f(x) and then for the f'(x) you get there.

What are those < >?
v'(x) has a wong prefactor.

To simplify, you need exponentiation rules, especially a^(b+c)=...

good, to simplify factor$$\mathrm{f}^{\prime \prime}(x)=\mathrm{u}^{\prime \prime}(x)\mathrm{v}(x)+2\mathrm{u}^{ \prime}(x)\mathrm{v}^{\prime }(x)+\mathrm{u}(x)\mathrm{v}^{\prime \prime}(x)
\\
=\left( x^{-2/3} \right)^{\prime \prime} (6-x)^{1/3}+2 \left( x^{-2/3}\right)^{\prime } \left( (6-x)^{-1/3}\right)^{\prime }+ x^{-2/3}\left( (6-x)^{-1/3}\right)^{\prime \prime}
\\
=\left( -\frac{2}{9} x^{-4/3}\right) \left( (6-x)^{1/3}\right)+2\left( \frac{2}{3} x^{-1/3} \right) \left( -\frac{1}{3}(6-x)^{-2/3}\right)+\left( x^{2/3}\right) \left( -\frac{2}{9}(6-x)^{-5/3} \right)
\\
-\frac{2}{9} x^{-4/3} (6-x)^{-5/3}((6-x)^2+2x(6-x)+x^2)
\\
=-\frac{2}{9}x^{-4/3}(6-x)^{-5/3}((6-x)+x)^2
$$
and so on

Related to Find Second Derivative of f(x)= x^(2/3) (6-x)^(1/3)

1. How do I find the second derivative of f(x)= x^(2/3)*(6-x)^(1/3)?

To find the second derivative of a function, you need to first find the first derivative and then take the derivative of that result. In this case, the first derivative of f(x) is 2x^(1/3)*(6-x)^(-2/3). To find the second derivative, we take the derivative of this result, giving us 2*(1/3)*x^(-2/3)*(6-x)^(-5/3) - 2x^(1/3)*(-2/3)*(6-x)^(-2/3). Simplifying this expression will give you the second derivative of f(x).

2. What is the general formula for finding the second derivative of a function?

The general formula for finding the second derivative of a function f(x) is d^2/dx^2(f(x)), where d/dx represents the first derivative. In other words, to find the second derivative, you take the derivative of the first derivative.

3. Can I use the power rule to find the second derivative of a function?

Yes, you can use the power rule to find the second derivative of a function. However, you may need to apply the rule multiple times, depending on the complexity of the function. It is important to remember that the power rule only applies to functions of the form x^n, where n is a constant.

4. How does finding the second derivative help in understanding a function's behavior?

Finding the second derivative of a function can help us understand the concavity and inflection points of the function. A positive second derivative indicates a concave up graph, while a negative second derivative indicates a concave down graph. The points where the second derivative changes sign are the inflection points of the function.

5. Can I use the second derivative to find the maximum or minimum points of a function?

Yes, the second derivative can be used to find the maximum or minimum points of a function. A maximum or minimum point occurs where the first derivative is equal to 0 and the second derivative is negative or positive, respectively. This is known as the second derivative test. However, it is important to note that this test only works for continuous functions.