Find Scientific Books on Amazon: Why Automated Link Changes Occur

• Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
In summary, the link to the book at textbooks.com changes every time someone posts a link, and it is not as useful as the link to Amazon.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Physics news on Phys.org
It has to do with a link affiliation script. If it finds a book at another store with a better commission it will link to that. I've actually never seen it done before. Are you saying both those links should be amazon? I'm pretty sure I can turn that off.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm pretty sure I can turn that off.
That would be great!

The changed link turns out not to be better at all, quite the opposite.

Aha, now I see what happened... I use the Firefox plugin Ghostery which blocks trackers, etc. I paused it for a minute just now, and I saw the textbooks.com link, too.

I think people should be encouraged to post a link to the publisher rather than to a distribution agency (for which different users may have different preferences). This suggestion could go to 'Terms and Rules'.

A. Neumaier said:
I think people should be encouraged to post a link to the publisher rather than to a distribution agency (for which different users may have different preferences). This suggestion could go to 'Terms and Rules'.
In principle I would agree, but in practice I find Amazon so much more user friendly ...

DrClaude said:
Please, please remove that "feature."
Turned off now.

Remember to use the amazon etc links here when xmas shopping :smile:

Likes DrClaude

Related to Find Scientific Books on Amazon: Why Automated Link Changes Occur

What is the purpose of finding scientific books on Amazon?

The purpose of finding scientific books on Amazon is to access a wide range of materials related to scientific research, theories, and discoveries. Amazon is a popular and convenient platform for purchasing books and other resources on various scientific topics.

What are automated link changes when searching for scientific books on Amazon?

Automated link changes refer to the process by which the links to scientific books on Amazon are automatically updated or modified. This can happen due to various reasons, such as changes in the availability or price of the book, updates to the book's information, or changes in Amazon's website structure.

Why do automated link changes occur when searching for scientific books on Amazon?

Automated link changes occur to ensure that users have the most up-to-date and accurate information about the scientific books they are interested in. This helps to provide a seamless and efficient experience for customers when browsing and purchasing books on Amazon.

How do automated link changes affect the search for scientific books on Amazon?

Automated link changes can affect the search for scientific books on Amazon by potentially redirecting users to a different page or book than the one they initially clicked on. This can be confusing for users, but it is done to provide accurate and current information about the book in question.

Can automated link changes be avoided when searching for scientific books on Amazon?

No, automated link changes cannot be avoided when searching for scientific books on Amazon. They are a necessary part of ensuring that users have the most accurate and updated information about the books they are interested in. However, users can always double-check the book's information before making a purchase to ensure they are getting the correct book.