Remind you that Jupiter is really close to Earth

In summary, The conversation touches on the proximity of Jupiter to Earth, its perceived size compared to the moon, and the realization of the vastness and complexity of our solar system. It also delves into the human fascination with the unknown and the limitations of our understanding. The discussion then shifts to the philosophy of quantum mechanics and a possible conversation between two renowned physicists.
eagleone
Nothing big, just to remind you that Jupiter is really close to Earth, you can see it just right from the Moon; I think that it’s one of most shiny objects on the sky tonight, and nights to come.

It just weird you imagine it like the biggest object after the sun in our system, and jet when you see it like just one little dot near the moon, somehow you realize how distant it all is, how big is our system, how weird is that force of gravity. It makes you think.
It's great, and seeing it with your own eyes can’t compare with millions of equations we wright and understand... ehhh humans :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Agreed 110%.

I love just sitting outside with my scope at night for a few hours and just thinking. :D

Sort of off topic, sorry--

I once read a (possibly apocryphal) story about two great quantum physicists chatting about the philosophy of Q.M. One of them said to the other, “Do you really believe that the Moon isn’t there whenever you aren’t looking at it?”

Some member will probably be able to say which two physicists are supposed to have had this come up in their discussion.

I am taking a wild guess here, but I would think that Neils Bohr would have to be in a conversation like that.

Thanks, Harsh. I wonder if it could have been Einstein saying that to Bohr?

1. How close is Jupiter to Earth?

Jupiter's distance from Earth varies depending on its position in orbit. At its closest, it can be about 365 million miles away, and at its farthest, it can be about 601 million miles away.

2. Is Jupiter ever visible from Earth?

Yes, Jupiter can be seen with the naked eye from Earth. It is one of the brightest objects in the night sky and can be easily spotted with the right conditions.

3. Can Jupiter's proximity to Earth affect our planet?

No, Jupiter's distance from Earth is too great to have any significant impact on our planet. However, its strong gravitational pull can influence the orbits of other planets in our solar system.

4. How does Jupiter's distance from Earth compare to other planets?

Jupiter is the fifth planet from the Sun and the largest in our solar system. Its distance from Earth is greater than that of Mars, Venus, and Mercury, but closer than Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.

5. When is the best time to see Jupiter from Earth?

The best time to see Jupiter from Earth is when it is at opposition, which occurs about every 13 months. This is when Jupiter and Earth are closest together in their orbits, making it appear brighter and larger in the night sky.