Find Ratio of Resistors R_1/R_2

In summary, the problem involves two resistors, R1 and R2, connected to a voltage source with voltage V0. When connected in series, the current is Is, and when connected in parallel, the current from the source is 10Is. We are asked to find the ratio r = R1/R2. Using the equations for resistors in series and parallel, we can set up a quadratic equation and solve for r. The final solution is r = (4 ± √(9-R2))/R2.
Milquetoast

Homework Statement

Two resistors of resistances R_1 and R_2, with R_2 > R_1, are connected to a voltage source with voltage V_0. When the resistors are connected in series, the current is I_s. When the resistors are connected in parallel, the current I_p from the source is equal to 10 I_s.

Let r be the ratio R_1 / R_2. Find r.

Homework Equations

In series R = R1 + ... + RN
In parallel 1 / R = 1 / R1 + ... + 1 / RN

The Attempt at a Solution

I_s (R_1 + R_2) = 10 I_s (R_1 * R_2) / (R_1 + R_2)

0 = R_1^2 - 8 R_1 R_2 + R_2^2

Quadraxtic equation R_1 = 4 +/- sqrt(9 - R_2)

I don't know quite what to do now

I need that ratio but it is just dirty

(4 + sqrt(9 - R_2)) / R_2

Help very much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Milquetoast said:
0 = R_1^2 - 8 R_1 R_2 + R_2^2

Dividing by R2^2,

r^2 - 8r + 1 = 0.

Solve for r.

I would approach this problem by first rearranging the given equations to solve for the ratio R_1/R_2. In series, we know that R = R_1 + R_2, so R_1/R_2 = (R - R_2)/R_2. Similarly, in parallel, we have 1/R = 1/R_1 + 1/R_2, so R_1/R_2 = (1/R - 1/R_2)/1/R_2.

Next, I would substitute the given values into these equations. In series, R = V_0/I_s, so R_1/R_2 = (V_0/I_s - R_2)/R_2. In parallel, 1/R = V_0/I_p, so R_1/R_2 = (1/(V_0/I_p) - 1/R_2)/1/R_2.

Finally, I would set these two expressions equal to each other and solve for R_1/R_2. This would give us the desired ratio r.

Related to Find Ratio of Resistors R_1/R_2

1. What is the formula for finding the ratio of resistors R1/R2?

The formula for finding the ratio of resistors R1/R2 is R1/R2 = V1/V2, where R1 and R2 are the resistances of the two resistors and V1 and V2 are the corresponding voltages across the resistors.

2. How do I determine the values of R1 and R2 in order to find their ratio?

The values of R1 and R2 can be determined by measuring the resistance using a multimeter or by consulting the resistor color code chart. Once the values are known, they can be plugged into the formula R1/R2 = V1/V2 to find the ratio.

3. Why is it important to know the ratio of resistors R1/R2?

The ratio of resistors R1/R2 is important because it determines the voltage division between the two resistors in a circuit. This information is crucial for designing and troubleshooting circuits, as well as for calculating the total resistance of a circuit.

4. Can the ratio of resistors R1/R2 be greater than 1?

Yes, the ratio of resistors R1/R2 can be greater than 1. This indicates that the voltage across R1 is greater than the voltage across R2, and the resistance of R1 is higher than the resistance of R2 in the circuit.

5. How does the ratio of resistors R1/R2 affect the current in a circuit?

The ratio of resistors R1/R2 does not directly affect the current in a circuit. However, the total resistance of the circuit is affected by the ratio, and the current in the circuit is inversely proportional to the total resistance. Therefore, a higher ratio of R1/R2 would result in a lower total resistance and a higher current in the circuit.