Find radius of bowl at certain height

In summary, the question is asking for the diameter of a bowl at three different positions (1/4, 1/2, and 3/4) of its height. However, without knowing the curvature of the bowl's side, it is impossible to find a unique solution.
songoku

Homework Statement

A bowl has radius of 16 cm at the top of it (the largest diameter) and diameter of 8 cm at the bottom of it (the smallest diameter). Find the diameter at position:
a. 1/4 height
b. 1/2 height
c. 3/4 height

Homework Equations

not sure, maybe:
trigonometry
similarity

The Attempt at a Solution

There is no picture attached to the question so I assume that the bowl has circular side, not a straight one like plastic cup (hope I explain what I meant clear enough).

So, how to find the radius? I think trigonometry and similarity can't be used because of the circular side...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is a bit vague. For all I know, the bowl could be fashioned like this. Or, like this one. Assuming their upper and lower radii are equal, their radii at half their height will definitely not be the same.

So, since you aren't given the curvature of the bowl (the side curvature) I don't think you can find out an answer. Or, you need to take it like a straight side(which I suspect is what the question is about) and use simple trigonometry and similarity to solve.

hi songoku! :smile:
songoku said:
A bowl has radius of 16 cm at the top of it (the largest diameter) and diameter of 8 cm at the bottom of it (the smallest diameter). Find the diameter at position:
a. 1/4 height
b. 1/2 height
c. 3/4 height

There is no picture attached to the question so I assume that the bowl has circular side, not a straight one like plastic cup (hope I explain what I meant clear enough).

no, i'd go for the plastic cup (a cone) …

there can't be a unique solution in any other case (eg a sphere)!​

Related to Find radius of bowl at certain height

1. How do you find the radius of a bowl at a certain height?

To find the radius of a bowl at a certain height, you will need to use the formula for the volume of a sphere. First, measure the height of the bowl. Then, use a ruler to measure the diameter of the bowl at the base. Plug these values into the formula V = (4/3)πr^3, where V is the volume, π is the constant pi, and r is the radius. Solve for r to find the radius of the bowl at the given height.

2. Can you find the radius of a bowl at any given height?

Yes, the radius of a bowl at any given height can be found using the formula for the volume of a sphere. However, the bowl must have a perfect spherical shape and the volume must be consistent throughout the bowl for this formula to accurately determine the radius.

3. Is there a specific unit of measurement to use when finding the radius of a bowl at a certain height?

The unit of measurement used when finding the radius of a bowl at a certain height will depend on the unit of measurement used for the height and diameter of the bowl. It is important to keep the units consistent throughout the calculation to ensure an accurate result.

4. Can the radius of a bowl at a certain height change?

Yes, the radius of a bowl at a certain height can change if the shape or volume of the bowl changes. For example, if the bowl is heated or cooled, it may expand or contract, resulting in a different radius at the same height. Additionally, if the bowl is not a perfect sphere, the radius may vary at different points along the height.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the radius of a bowl at a certain height?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the radius of a bowl at a certain height, such as using a measuring tape or calipers to directly measure the diameter of the bowl at the given height. However, using the formula for the volume of a sphere is the most accurate and reliable method for finding the radius of a bowl at a certain height.