Find product kinetic energies in (α,γ) reaction

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of 5.5 MeV alphas hitting Be-9 and producing carbon with a gamma, with a Q value of 10.65. The goal is to find the kinetic energy of the carbon nucleus and the gamma, while ignoring the gamma's momentum. The equations used were T = p^2 / 2*m and Q = T_be + T_alpha - T_c - T_gam. The momentum of the alpha was calculated to be 202.56 MeV/c, and the resulting kinetic energy of the carbon was found to be 1.7 MeV. The Q equation was rearranged to find the kinetic energy of the gamma, but a negative value was obtained. Upon
ElectricEel1

Homework Statement

5.5 MeV alphas hit Be-9 and produce carbon with a gamma. the Q value is 10.65

I have to find the kinetic energy of the carbon nucleus and the gamma and I am to ignore the gamma ray momentum.

Homework Equations

T = p^2 / 2*m
Q = T_be + T_alpha - T_c - T_gam[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Momentum is conserved and I'm told to ignore the gammas momentum so I calculated the alpha momentum to be 202.56 MeV/c then used that as the carbon momentum and rearranged to find the kinetic energy as 1.7 MeV.

Then using the Q equation i rearranged to find T_gam but end up with -6.85 which doesn't work so I'm a little stuck now.

Thanks

edit: realized i had the equation the wrong way round and it should be Q = T_c + T_gam - T_alph

think it makes sense now

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ElectricEel1 said:
edit: realized i had the equation the wrong way round and it should be Q = T_c + T_gam - T_alph

think it makes sense now
That's how I interpreted the Q-value as well.
You can also check the masses of the nuclei to be sure, but the reaction certainly releases energy. C-12 is a very tightly bound nucleus.

Related to Find product kinetic energies in (α,γ) reaction

1. What is a (α,γ) reaction?

A (α,γ) reaction is a type of nuclear reaction in which an alpha particle (α) collides with a target nucleus, resulting in the release of a gamma ray (γ) and the formation of a new nucleus.

2. How do you find the product kinetic energies in a (α,γ) reaction?

To find the product kinetic energies in a (α,γ) reaction, you need to use the conservation of energy and momentum laws. This involves calculating the initial and final energies and momenta of the reaction products and solving for the unknown kinetic energies.

3. What is the significance of determining product kinetic energies in a (α,γ) reaction?

Determining the product kinetic energies in a (α,γ) reaction is important for understanding the dynamics and outcomes of nuclear reactions. It can also provide insight into the structure and behavior of nuclei.

4. Can product kinetic energies in a (α,γ) reaction be predicted or are they measured experimentally?

Product kinetic energies in a (α,γ) reaction can be predicted using theoretical models and calculations, but they are typically measured experimentally to confirm the accuracy of these predictions.

5. What factors affect the product kinetic energies in a (α,γ) reaction?

The product kinetic energies in a (α,γ) reaction are influenced by various factors such as the masses and velocities of the reacting particles, the energy and angle of the collision, and any energy released or absorbed during the reaction.