How well will my couch be rumbled?

• Thread starter Loading17
  • Start date
In summary, a 2.5 pound device that provides a force of 10 lbs can indent a couch with a mass of 200 pounds by 2.5 pounds. It would have the same effect as a 2.5 pound ball thrown at the couch with zero speed. Additional information may be needed.
Loading17
I have this thing, given about 25 watts, it'll provide a force of 10 Lbf (44.5 N) This thing has a mass of ~2.5 pounds. I'll mount it to a couch with a mass of about 200 pounds (with a person on it)

What'll happen?

If I had a ball that was the same mass, and threw it at the couch, how fast would the ball be traveling to produce the same force?

Thanks.

If you need any more info just ask.

Physics news on Phys.org
A device which has a mass of 2.5 pounds and produces a force of 10 lbs can only indent the couch with the force of 2.5 pounds. If the device had the same mass and produced a force of 1 million pounds, the couch would still be indented by 2.5 pounds.
Think of a hydraulic jack with it's rear end resting on the couch.

How fast should the 2.5 lb ball thrown at the couch be traveling to achieve the same indentation effect? Zero speed. Just rest it on the couch.

1. How does rumbling affect the durability of my couch?

Rumbling can have both positive and negative effects on the durability of your couch. On one hand, it can help loosen and redistribute the stuffing, making the cushions more comfortable and preventing sagging. On the other hand, excessive rumbling can put strain on the frame and potentially cause damage over time.

2. Will rumbling damage the fabric or upholstery of my couch?

In most cases, no. Rumbling is a gentle shaking or vibration and should not cause any damage to the fabric or upholstery of your couch. However, if your couch is already in poor condition or has weak stitching, rumbling may cause further damage.

3. How often should I rumble my couch?

It is generally recommended to rumble your couch once every few months, or as needed. If you notice your cushions becoming too flat or uncomfortable, it may be time to give your couch a good rumble. However, be sure not to overdo it as too much rumbling can have negative effects on the durability of your couch.

4. Can rumbling help with cleaning my couch?

Yes, rumbling can help remove dust and debris that may have accumulated in the cushions. It can also help fluff up the cushions and make them easier to clean with a vacuum. However, for more thorough cleaning, it is recommended to use a specialized upholstery cleaner.

5. Is there a proper way to rumble a couch?

Yes, there are a few steps you can follow to properly rumble your couch. First, remove all loose items from the couch, such as pillows or blankets. Then, stand at one end of the couch and gently lift and shake the cushions. You can also try hitting or patting the cushions to help redistribute the stuffing. Finally, flip the couch over and repeat on the other side. Be sure not to use excessive force or shake too vigorously, as this can cause damage to the couch.