Quantizing Newton: Exploring a New Approach

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Newton
In summary: What's going on here? Why are the two representations equivalent? And why is the wavefunction in one representation different from the wavefunction in the other?In summary, the two representations are equivalent because they encode the same information, but the wavefunction in one representation is different from the wavefunction in the other because the hamiltonian in one representation is different from the hamiltonian in the other.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Many moons ago, when I used to teach Modern Physics to engineering undergrads, I told them that to get to quantum mechanics from classical mechanics, we had to start from the Hamiltonian as opposed to Newton's laws. I told them that the reason was that Newton's second law for a particle, namely:

ΣF=m(d2x/dt2)

presupposed that we could know the trajectory x(t) of a particle, which violates the uncertainty principle. However, lately I am thinking that that is not the reason at all. The Hamiltonian is expressed in terms of the coordinates and momenta, which we are also not allowed to know simultaneously.

So why not try to quantize Newton?

I want to look at an example first, and then go into generalities later. Let's look at the simple harmonic oscillator in 1D along the x axis.

Writing the RHS in terms of momentum, Newton sez:

-kx=(dp/dt)

Now quantize:

-kx=(d/dt)(-i*hbar)(d/dx)
-(i*hbar)(d/dt)(d/dx)+kx=0

Now we have an operator. Let it act on a wavefunction Φ(x,t)

-(i*hbar)(d/dt)(dΦ(x,t)/dx)+kxΦ(x,t)=0

I just thought of this like 5 minutes ago, so I haven't worked it out yet. But what I want to explore is:

1. Is this mathematically valid?
2. If so, what is the relationship between this wavefunction and the Schrodinger wavefunction?
3. Has this been worked out before?
4. Might there be some advantage to this approach?

edit: fixed an omission, and a typo

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
an interesting idea.

i no of no explanation why you have to start from hamilton s equations instead of Newton s equations.

however, i tried solving your equation by separation of variables, and i got something that looked completely unlike what i know the correct solution shuold look like. i got the time component goes as exp(kt), which is odd, and i did get a gaussian for the space component, which is what the ground state looks like. i only get one solution, and no quantization.

but still, i m not sure why it should make a difference. after all, classically, the two approaches are equivalent, right? they encode the same information...

Okay, how does this grab you:

We know that because the harmonic oscillator is a conservative system, it's states are determined by the value of a single observable, and anyone of position, momentum or energy will do. By taking P=-ihd/dx you've chosen to work in the x-representation.

So what's the action of d/dt on Φ in this representation? Not the hamiltonian H(x)=-(1/2m)d2/dx2+(1/2)kx2, because Φ doesn't satisfy the shrodinger equation. Yet the evolution of all quantum mechanical systems are governed by their hamiltonians.

Last edited:

1. What is "Quantizing Newton"?

"Quantizing Newton" is a new approach to studying classical mechanics that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and Newton's laws of motion. It involves treating particles as both waves and particles, and using mathematical equations to describe their behavior.

2. How is "Quantizing Newton" different from traditional classical mechanics?

"Quantizing Newton" differs from traditional classical mechanics in that it takes into account the wave-particle duality of particles and uses mathematical equations from quantum mechanics, rather than just Newton's laws of motion, to describe their behavior. This approach allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of particles.

3. What are the potential applications of "Quantizing Newton"?

The potential applications of "Quantizing Newton" are vast and include fields such as quantum computing, material science, and nanotechnology. By combining principles from both quantum mechanics and classical mechanics, this approach may provide new insights and solutions for various scientific and technological challenges.

4. How does "Quantizing Newton" contribute to our understanding of the universe?

"Quantizing Newton" contributes to our understanding of the universe by providing a more comprehensive and accurate description of the behavior of particles. This approach may also help bridge the gap between our current understanding of the microscopic world (quantum mechanics) and the macroscopic world (classical mechanics), leading to a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles that govern the universe.

5. What are the potential limitations of "Quantizing Newton"?

As with any new approach or theory, there may be limitations to "Quantizing Newton". One potential limitation is that it may not be a complete or final solution, and further research and experimentation may be needed. Additionally, it may be challenging to apply this approach to complex systems with multiple particles and interactions, making it difficult to accurately predict their behavior.