Find polynomial when given a complex root

In summary, Jesper found a solution to the problem of finding the correct function for a complex root given in the chapter review of Algebra Demystified.
jkristia
Hi there,

I have over the last couple of month worked my way through Algebra Demystified and College Algebra Demystified (well almost), and I just completed the chapter on polynomial functions and I’m stuck at one of the questions in the chapter review where I’m given a complex root and the asked to match it to one of four functions.

The complex root given is 2-3i, so I know the polynomial for the complex root pair is x^2-4x+13 (I hope I got that right – if not that might be emy problem).
I have then tried to do a long division of this to all of the functions as I expected the remainder to be zero for the correct function, but ..hmm .. that didn’t happen.

Isn’t it correct that I should end up with a zero remainder when I do a long division of x^2-4x+14| polynomial from answer ?

I refuse to look at the answer until I at least have come up with an answer, so I appreciate if someone can point me at what I might be doing wrong.

Thanks
Jesper

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you should end up with no remainder. What were the four functions?

jkristia said:
Isn’t it correct that I should end up with a zero remainder when I do a long division of x^2-4x+14| polynomial from answer ?

Assuming that you mean x^2-4x+13, yes it should. A simpler way to check would be to take the function and compute f(2-3i), which will be zero if 2-3i is a root. When you find the right function, you can go back and check your long division for errors.

ha - found it.. a bit embarrassing, but I had flipped the sign in one of the divisions and just didn’t notice it.
The solution is f(x) = x^3 - 5x^2 + 17x – 13.

Since the quadratic has all real coefficients, then if one of its roots is complex, there must be another root that is the complex conjugate. So if you have one root of a+ib then there must be another root of a-ib IFF the coefficients of the polynomial are real.

So another way to check would be to expand (x-(2-3i))(x-(2+3i)) and check to see if it is equivalent to x2-4x+13

>>So another way to check would be to expand (x-(2-3i))(x-(2+3i)) and check to see if it is equivalent to x2-4x+13

That is kind of what I did I think, I found x^2-4x+13 and then used that with a long division of the answer polynomial until I found the one with a remainder of zero.

Thankts to all of you for your help. I will most likely come back with more questions :)

Related to Find polynomial when given a complex root

What is a complex root?

A complex root is a number that, when substituted into a polynomial, results in a value of 0. It is written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

Why do we need to find a polynomial when given a complex root?

Finding a polynomial when given a complex root allows us to understand the behavior and properties of the polynomial. It also helps us to solve equations and graph the polynomial.

How do we find a polynomial when given a complex root?

To find a polynomial when given a complex root, we use the conjugate root theorem. This theorem states that if a polynomial has a complex root a + bi, then it also has a root a - bi. From there, we can use polynomial division or the quadratic formula to find the remaining roots and ultimately determine the polynomial.

Can a polynomial have more than one complex root?

Yes, a polynomial can have multiple complex roots. However, if the polynomial has real coefficients, then complex roots must occur in pairs. This is because the complex roots are always conjugates of each other.

What is the significance of complex roots in a polynomial?

The complex roots of a polynomial provide information about the behavior of the polynomial, such as the number of zeros and the shape of the graph. They also play a crucial role in solving polynomial equations and finding the factors of a polynomial.