Find Polynomial Roots: x4-2x3-25x2+50x

In summary, the polynomial x4-2x3-25x2+50x can be factored as x(x-5)(x+5)(x-2), with roots at x=0, x=5, x=-5, and x=2. The fourth root, x=0, is found by equating the first factor to zero. The remaining three roots can be found by equating the other factors to zero and solving for x.
theakdad
I have to find all solutions for X when:
x4-2x3-25x2+50x

I have done it so,but I am not sure if this is ok:

x(x3-2x2-25x+50)

= x(x2(x-2)-25(x+2)
= x(x2-25)(x-2)
=x(x-5)(x+5)(x-2)

Now i see that root/zeroes are +5,-5 and 2. I know that this polynomial has another zero that is 0,but how do i know that? Because x is in the front? Or did i make a mistake and should such problems deal another way? Thank you for all replies!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
wishmaster said:
I have to find all solutions for X when:
x4-2x3-25x2+50x

I have done it so,but I am not sure if this is ok:

x(x3-2x2-25x+50)

= x(x2(x-2)-25(x-2))
= x(x2-25)(x-2)
=x(x-5)(x+5)(x-2)

Now i see that root/zeroes are +5,-5 and 2. I know that this polynomial has another zero that is 0,but how do i know that? Because x is in the front? Or did i make a mistake and should such problems deal another way? Thank you for all replies!

You had a minor typo in your working which did not affect the outcome. I have highlighted it in red, but is is obvious from your subsequent steps that you intended to write this. The four roots of the polynomial are found by equating each of the four factors to zero, including the factor $x$ in front, and solving for $x$. So you are correct that the four roots are (in ascending order):

\(\displaystyle x=-5,\,0,\,2,\,5\)

Great job! :D

MarkFL said:
You had a minor typo in your working which did not affect the outcome. I have highlighted it in red, but is is obvious from your subsequent steps that you intended to write this. The four roots of the polynomial are found by equating each of the four factors to zero, including the factor $x$ in front, and solving for $x$. So you are correct that the four roots are (in ascending order):

\(\displaystyle x=-5,\,0,\,2,\,5\)

Great job! :D

Thank you! Sorry,that was a type mismatch.
one question,when x stays alone in front of other terms,then this root is always zero?

wishmaster said:
one question,when x stays alone in front of other terms,then this root is always zero?

Yes, equating that factor to zero, we get:

\(\displaystyle x=0\)

It is already solved for $x$, and it tells us that $x=0$ is a root.

wishmaster said:
Another way to se it if we want to divide by x Then we get 2 case
case 1 \(\displaystyle x=0\)
put \(\displaystyle x=0\) to the equation and we see that \(\displaystyle 0=0\) hence 0 is a root
case 2 \(\displaystyle x \neq 0\)
we know can divide by x (we get third degree polynom) and now it's just to use rational root Theorem and long polynom division and Then it becomes second grade polynom which is easy to solve

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

wishmaster said:
x4-2x3-25x2+50x

=x(x-5)(x+5)(x-2)
To be specific we have that if ab = 0 then either a = 0 or b = 0. In this case that means when
x(x - 5)(x + 5)(x - 2) = 0

we get solutions when:
x = 0, or x - 5 = 0, or x + 5 = 0, or x - 2 = 0

The solutions to these four equations are your roots.

-Dan

Related to Find Polynomial Roots: x4-2x3-25x2+50x

1. What is the degree of the polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent or power of the variable in the expression. In this case, the degree of the polynomial x4-2x3-25x2+50x is 4.

2. How many roots does this polynomial have?

According to the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, a polynomial of degree n has n complex roots. In this case, the polynomial has four roots.

3. How can I find the roots of this polynomial?

There are several methods for finding the roots of a polynomial, including factoring, synthetic division, and using the quadratic formula for higher degree polynomials. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to graph the polynomial and find the roots by locating the x-intercepts.

4. Can the roots of this polynomial be irrational or imaginary numbers?

Yes, the roots of a polynomial can be irrational or imaginary numbers. In fact, most polynomials have irrational or imaginary roots.

5. What is the significance of finding the roots of a polynomial?

Finding the roots of a polynomial can help in solving equations, graphing the polynomial, and understanding the behavior of the polynomial. It can also be used in applications such as engineering, physics, and finance.