Find plane angle from pictures

In summary, the conversation is about obtaining information on plane and camera positions from pictures. The speaker has successfully calculated the y rotation of the plane using circle and string, but is now looking for a way to calculate the x rotation of the plane. They provide an example image and mention using basic trigonometry and the Law of Cosines to calculate the angle of rotation of the camera. The conversation ends with a request for ideas and a note about the arrangement of the three points on the plane.
RavenAll
Hi all.

I need to get some information about plane position and camera position from a pictures.
I have i plane with 3 points (red,green,blue) and then theyre coordinates inside the image.
Using circle and string i was able to get the y rotation of the plane where the points are on (the rotation of point of view)
But now i need the x rotation of the plane (the up/down angle that the camera taken the picture).
But I'm not able to find a way to get it.

This is an image of the angle i need
http://img408.imageshack.us/i/dim01.jpg/

For example this image have a x angle of around 90° (top view)
http://img41.imageshack.us/i/dscf0179a.jpg/

While this have an x angle of around 30°
http://img222.imageshack.us/i/dscf0177n.jpg/

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Ps:the 3 points on the plane are disposed as a regular triangle.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have the coordinates of each point on the plane, you can use basic trigonometry to calculate the angle of rotation of the camera. You can use the Law of Cosines to calculate the angle between two points. Then you can calculate the angle of the camera using the angles of the triangle formed by the three points.

Related to Find plane angle from pictures

1. How do you determine the plane angle in a picture?

The plane angle in a picture can be determined by using the principles of geometry and trigonometry. One method is to use a protractor to measure the angle directly on the picture. Another method is to use the known dimensions of objects in the picture and use trigonometric functions to calculate the angle.

2. What is the importance of finding the plane angle in a picture?

Finding the plane angle in a picture is important in fields such as engineering, architecture, and surveying. It allows for accurate measurements and calculations to be made, which are crucial in these industries.

3. Can you find the plane angle in any type of picture?

Yes, the plane angle can be found in any type of picture, as long as there are identifiable objects or lines that can be used to measure the angle.

4. Are there any tools or software available to help find the plane angle in a picture?

Yes, there are various tools and software that can assist in finding the plane angle in a picture. These include protractors, angle finders, and digital image analysis software.

5. Is it possible to find the plane angle in a picture without any measurements?

No, some form of measurement is necessary to find the plane angle in a picture. However, if there are known dimensions of objects in the picture, the angle can be calculated using trigonometric functions without physically measuring it.