Find oxidation number of platinum

In summary, the conversation is discussing the determination of the oxidation number of platinum in the compound Pt(NH3)2Cl(NO2). The student is initially unsure but then realizes that NO2 is the nitrite anion, leading to a correct determination of +2 for the oxidation number of platinum.
Denver Dang

Homework Statement

Hello...

Seems like an easy question, but I'm notquite sure though.

Find the oxidation number of platinum in the following compound:

Pt(NH3)2Cl(NO2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I just put Pt = x, and I know that (NH3) is neutral = 0, and Cl = -1, the one thing that is bothering me is the (NO2). If it was alone, you will know that N had oxidation number +4. But here it is in another compound. Usually O is -2 and N is -3, but that gives me a total of -7 for that, and with the Cl = -1, I have a total of +8 for Pt, which I'm pretty sure is incorrect.
What am I missing ? :)Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Denver Dang said:

Homework Statement

Hello...

Seems like an easy question, but I'm notquite sure though. Find the oxidation number of platinum in the following compound:

Pt(NH3)2Cl(NO2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I just put Pt = x, and I know that (NH3) is neutral = 0, and Cl = -1, the one thing that is bothering me is the (NO2). If it was alone, you will know that N had oxidation number +4. But here it is in another compound. Usually O is -2 and N is -3, but that gives me a total of -7 for that, and with the Cl = -1, I have a total of +8 for Pt, which I'm pretty sure is incorrect.
What am I missing ? :)

Regards

NO2 is the nitrite anion.

Of course :/

So simple.

Thank you :)

Related to Find oxidation number of platinum

What is the oxidation number of platinum?

The oxidation number of platinum can vary, but it is most commonly found in the +2 and +4 oxidation states.

How do you determine the oxidation number of platinum?

To determine the oxidation number of platinum, you must consider the overall charge of the compound or ion it is a part of. Then, you can use the known oxidation numbers of other elements in the compound to calculate the oxidation number of platinum.

What is the significance of knowing the oxidation number of platinum?

Knowing the oxidation number of platinum can help in understanding its reactivity and chemical properties. It can also aid in predicting the types of compounds platinum can form and its role in various chemical reactions.

What factors can affect the oxidation number of platinum?

The oxidation number of platinum can be affected by the presence of other elements in a compound, the overall charge of the compound, and the type of bonds formed with other elements.

Can the oxidation number of platinum change?

Yes, the oxidation number of platinum can change depending on the chemical reaction it undergoes. It can also change in different compounds or ions containing platinum.