Find out how a nuclear plant works

In summary, a nuclear plant works by splitting uranium atoms, which releases neutrons. These neutrons will hit other uranium atoms and cause them to split, which will create more neutrons. If the nuclear plant is not shut down quickly enough, the neutrons will cause too much damage and the plant will have to be shut down.
expertnot
I am not a science guy, but I have been trying to find out how a nuclear plant works and I think I get it; however, I am not clear what it means to bombard something with neutrons.

I think I understand how the process continues due to the chain reaaction, but how do you start the reaction.

Physics news on Phys.org

There are enough neutrons around. For example, occasionally an atom will undergo fission spontaneously. For weapons a trigger is used, i.e. a neutron source.

What do they mean when they say they are bombarding the fuel with neurtons? What makes the reaction start?

expertnot said:
What do they mean when they say they are bombarding the fuel with neurtons? What makes the reaction start?
There are always stray neutrons around in a reactor. It will start by itself as a result.

You don't need to 'supply' neutrons. The nuclei of the Uranium 235 in the reactor are continually breaking down at random and spontaneously, at a low rate. This produces fast neutrons. If a fast neutron hits another U235 nucleus it will cause it to split and produce more neutrons. If these all hit other nuclei and all of these hit more nuclei, you have a chain reaction. If the Uranium has too little U235, the process won't take off because most of the neutrons will slow down and become harmless before they have hit U235 nuclei. You need sufficient Mass (the critical mass) of U235 in a sufficiently small space (i.e. high enough purity Uranium) for this to happen. With not enough, too many neutrons get lost around the edges.
The secret, in a reactor, is to arrange for the situation to be just above critical so that there are enough neutrons produced to keep the process going. This is done by having the fuel rods spaced in regular rows and to raise and lower 'control rods' which can absorb the neutrons or let them through to control the rate of the reaction and get it just as you want it.
The problem is that you can't stop this reaction very quickly. Even when you drop in the control rods there is still a lot going on in there and heat is still being produced. The reactors, in Japan, were shut down as soon as needed, I believe, but then other problems meant that there wasn't enough water available to cool everything down. This produced damage and even more problems etc. etc..

Related to Find out how a nuclear plant works

1. How does a nuclear plant generate electricity?

Nuclear plants generate electricity through a process called nuclear fission, where atoms of uranium are split in a controlled manner, releasing heat. This heat is then used to produce steam, which turns turbines connected to generators, producing electricity.

2. What is the role of nuclear reactors in a nuclear plant?

Nuclear reactors are the heart of a nuclear plant. They house and control the nuclear fission process, where the heat needed to generate electricity is produced.

3. How is the safety of nuclear plants ensured?

Nuclear plants are designed and built with multiple layers of safety features to prevent accidents. These include physical barriers, redundant safety systems, and strict regulatory oversight. Additionally, nuclear plants undergo regular safety inspections and drills to ensure their safe operation.

4. What happens to the waste produced by a nuclear plant?

Nuclear plants produce radioactive waste, which is carefully managed and stored in special facilities. Some waste can be recycled and reused, while the remaining waste is stored in specially designed containers that are monitored and maintained to prevent any harm to humans and the environment.

5. Are there any alternative energy sources to nuclear power?

Yes, there are many alternative energy sources to nuclear power, including renewable sources such as solar, wind, and hydropower. These sources are becoming increasingly popular due to their lower environmental impact and cost-effectiveness.