Tension in String One of 5 kg Mass at 45 Degree Angle

In summary, the tension in string one (i.e. magnitude of tensile force) is equal to sqrt(2)*mg. This can be calculated by resolving horizontally and vertically, where T1 = 63.9N and T2 = 49N. The equation for T1 can be simplified to T1 = 5g, and T2 can be found by using the equations ΣFx = 0 and ΣFy = 0. This method can be used to solve similar problems in mathematics and mechanics exams.
UrbanXrisis
Two strings are attached to a 5 kg mass. String one is at a 45 degree angle and the other is horizontal. What is the tension in string one?

Physics news on Phys.org
From my reading of this, String one is the only one capable of counteracting the weight of the mass (since it alone has a vertical component).

The tension in string one (i.e magnitude of tensile force) should therefore be:
sqrt(2)*mg.

where did the sqrt(2) come from?

your equation works but how did you get it?

Assume that string one goes along the line (-cos(45),sin(45)), wheras string two is along the horizontal (1,0) (The mass itself is position at the origin).

(Clearly, the only necessary requirement is that the tensile force in string one has a component in the positive vertical component, in order to balance the weight of the mass).

T1 = 63.9N
T2 = 49N

I just resolved horizontally and vertically
T1sin45 = 5G
Simplification gives T1 = 63.9N

Calculating T2 is optional, but i got 49N.

To be sure, is the above correct? I'm revising for my mathematics - mechanics exam and that seems to be similar to a few of the questions.

Yes that's correct KnowledgeIsPower.

ΣFx = 0 = T2 - T1cos 45o
ΣFy = 0 = T1sin 45o - mg

From the second equation you can find T1, and the first will give you T2.

1. What is tension in a string?

Tension in a string refers to the force or pulling that is exerted on a string. It is the measure of the force that is required to maintain the string in a particular state of tension.

2. How is tension in a string calculated?

Tension in a string can be calculated using the formula T = mgcosθ, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the string with the horizontal.

3. What is the significance of the 45 degree angle in this scenario?

The 45 degree angle in this scenario is significant because it is the angle at which the gravitational force and the tension force are equal, resulting in a state of equilibrium. This means that the object will not move horizontally and will remain suspended at the given angle.

4. How does the mass of the object affect tension in the string?

The mass of the object has a direct impact on the tension in the string. As the mass increases, the tension in the string also increases to maintain equilibrium. This is because a larger mass requires a greater force to maintain the same angle of suspension.

5. Can tension in a string ever be greater than the weight of the object?

Yes, it is possible for tension in a string to be greater than the weight of the object. This can happen when the angle of the string is less than 45 degrees, as the tension force needs to be greater in order to balance the gravitational force and maintain equilibrium.