Find moment of Inertia from Force, radius and acceleration

In summary, the question is asking for the moment of inertia of a non-uniform, disc shaped object that is rotating about an axis through its center. The force applied tangentially at the edge of the object produces an angular acceleration. Using Newton's 2nd law for rotation, the moment of inertia is calculated to be I=Fr/alpha.
iva

Homework Statement

A disc shaped object is made of a non-uniform material. Its radius is r and it is fre to rotate about an axis through its centre. If a force F applied tangentially at the edge of the object produces the angular acceleration a, what is its moment of inertia for rotation about the axis?

Homework Equations

I=mr2
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

If F=ma then m=F/a

so that i=mr2 becomes I=Fr2/a

The answer in the book is I=Fr/a

Where did i go wrong? is it something to do with the force being tangent to the disc that i didn't do something?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
iva said:
If F=ma then m=F/a
Careful. "a" is the angular acceleration, not the linear acceleration. (It's better to use alpha for angular acceleration.) What's Newton's law for rotation?

so that i=mr2 becomes I=Fr2/a
That formula for moment of inertia does not apply here.

All you need is Newton's 2nd law for rotation.

Thanks i get it now,

So all i really needed was 1 equation:

rotational force equation: r* F=I * alpha so I=rF/alpha right?

Right!

Your solution is almost correct, but there is one small mistake. The moment of inertia (I) is the measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, and it depends on both the mass distribution and the axis of rotation. In this case, the object is rotating about an axis through its center, so we can use the equation I=mr^2. However, the mass (m) in this equation should be the total mass of the object, not just the mass at the edge where the force is applied. So the correct equation should be:

I = (m*r^2)/a

This is equivalent to the answer given in the book, I=Fr/a, since F=ma. It might seem like a small difference, but it is important to consider the total mass of the object when calculating its moment of inertia.

Related to Find moment of Inertia from Force, radius and acceleration

1. What is moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is often referred to as the rotational equivalent of mass.

2. How do you calculate moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where m is the mass of the object, and r is the radius of rotation.

3. Can moment of inertia be found from force, radius, and acceleration?

Yes, moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = F*r/a, where F is the applied force, r is the radius of rotation, and a is the angular acceleration of the object.

4. What is the unit of moment of inertia?

The unit of moment of inertia is kilogram-meter squared (kg•m²).

5. How does moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

A higher moment of inertia means that an object will be more resistant to changes in its rotational motion, making it harder to rotate or stop. This is similar to how a heavier object is harder to move or stop in linear motion.