Find molar mass and number of degrees of freedom from heat capacities.

In summary, the student was having trouble with equations and wasn't sure how to solve for the number of degrees of freedom. He found the number of degrees of freedom and determined that there were five. He also found the molecular mass and assumed it was Oxygen molecules. Everything was OK.
Junabes
Hey having a bit of trouble with this one. I really don't know how to start. Think I just simply don't have the right equations or I'm using the wrong units. Hopefully you guys can help me.

Homework Statement

Find the molar mass and the number of degrees of freedom of molecules in a gas with known heat capacities: Cv = 650 J/(KgK) and Cp=910 J/(KgK).

Homework Equations

The equations that I can find in my book that I've been trying to figure out are :

1.Cv = (nRP)/2 where R = Gas constant and P = number of degrees of freedom. n= number of moles

2.Cp = nR(1+P/2)

3.Cp = Cv + R

The Attempt at a Solution

Well when I first started off I simply applied the Cv formula to the value of Cv and solve for P, the number of degrees of freedom. However when I did this, i got an answer of ~156 which I can immediately tell is not correct.

I am led to believe that I'm not using the correct units for Cv and Cp as they don't solve the last equation(3) correctly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I just found the degrees of freedom.

Cp/Cv=1 + 2/P
7/5=1+2/P
P = 5 degrees of freedom.

Even though I'm still sure I have to change the units to find the Molar mass. I only found the degrees of freedom due to Cp/Cv is a ratio so units did not matter.

I have to somehow change the Cv and Cp units from J/(K*Kg) to J/(K*mol). My reasoning for this is that the gas constant R is J/(K*mol).

I think I might be correct here: If anyone can confirm? Turns out I didn't really need to change any units just yet.

Cv = nRp/2
n=31.28moles/kg

Molecular mass = Mass/n = 1kg/31.28moles = 31.96g/mol.

I assume this would be Oxygen molecules.

Everything's OK.

First, let's convert the given heat capacities from J/(KgK) to J/(molK) by dividing by the molar mass of the gas. This will give us:
Cv = 650 J/(KgK) = 650/(molar mass) J/(molK)
Cp = 910 J/(KgK) = 910/(molar mass) J/(molK)

Next, let's rearrange equation (1) to solve for the molar mass:
molar mass = (2Cv)/(nRP)

Substituting in the values for Cv and P from the given information, we get:
molar mass = (2*650)/(1*8.314*156) = 0.996 Kg/mol

Now, let's use equation (3) to solve for the number of degrees of freedom:
Cp = Cv + R
910/(molar mass) = 650/(molar mass) + 8.314
Solving for molar mass, we get:
molar mass = 0.996 Kg/mol
Substituting this back into the equation, we get:
P = (910-650)/8.314 = 31.2 degrees of freedom

So, the molar mass of the gas is 0.996 Kg/mol and the number of degrees of freedom is 31.2.

Related to Find molar mass and number of degrees of freedom from heat capacities.

1. What is molar mass?

Molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance. It is typically measured in grams per mole (g/mol) and is used to convert between the mass of a substance and the number of moles present.

2. How is molar mass calculated?

Molar mass is calculated by adding together the atomic masses of all the atoms present in one mole of a substance. The atomic masses can be found on the periodic table of elements.

3. What is the relationship between molar mass and heat capacity?

The molar mass of a substance is directly related to its heat capacity. The higher the molar mass, the higher the heat capacity. This is because substances with higher molar masses have more particles, resulting in more potential energy that can be absorbed or released as heat.

4. How do you find the number of degrees of freedom from heat capacities?

The number of degrees of freedom can be determined from the heat capacity using the equation: Cp/Cv = (1+2/f) where Cp is the heat capacity at constant pressure, Cv is the heat capacity at constant volume, and f is the number of degrees of freedom.

5. Why is it important to know the molar mass and number of degrees of freedom from heat capacities?

Knowing the molar mass and number of degrees of freedom from heat capacities can help scientists understand the behavior and properties of a substance. It can also aid in the calculation of other thermodynamic properties, such as entropy and enthalpy, which are important in various chemical and physical processes.