Find minimal speed for ball to clear wall

In summary, the problem asks for the minimum speed at which a golfer must hit a ball at a fixed angle to clear a wall of height h and distance d away, assuming no air resistance. The solution involves finding the initial velocity components Vxo and Vyo, which are used in the equation rvac= ((2Vxo)(Vyo))/g to calculate the range of the projectile. The range formula R=v^2/g sin2@ may also be used, but it only applies when the projectile returns to its initial height.
leonne

Homework Statement

Golfer hits a ball with speed Vo at angle @ above the horizontal ground. angle is fixed and no air resistance what is min speed for which the ball will clear a wall of height h and distance d away. your solution will get you in trouble if angle @ is such that tan@ < h/d explain

Homework Equations

rvac= ((2Vxo)(Vyo))/g

The Attempt at a Solution

I just have a question, after googling range formula i found R=v^2/g sin2@ now why in my book it gave me rvac= ((2Vxo)(Vyo))/g ? could not find much info on what Vxo or Vyo stand for. There was a example and I got the same answer when i used R=v^2/g sin2@ but it never showed what the Vxo equals, they just skipped all the steps.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Vxo and Vyo are the x and y components of the initial velocity vector. The range formula that you googled gives the horizontal distance (range) only when the projectile returns to the same height from which it was launched. This is not the case here because the projectile has to clear a wall of height h.

o ok thanks for the info

so would you use this formula and solve for initial velocity? y= (x(Voy)/Voc) - 1/2 g (x^2 /V^2ox)

That's what I would use.

Related to Find minimal speed for ball to clear wall

1. What is the concept behind finding the minimal speed for a ball to clear a wall?

The concept is based on the laws of physics, specifically the principles of motion and projectile motion. The goal is to find the minimum initial speed at which a ball must be thrown or kicked in order to clear a wall without hitting it.

2. How is the minimal speed calculated?

The minimal speed is calculated using the equation v = √(gh), where v is the initial speed of the ball, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the wall. This equation is derived from the kinematic equations of motion.

3. What factors affect the minimal speed for a ball to clear a wall?

The height of the wall, the angle at which the ball is thrown or kicked, air resistance, and the mass and size of the ball all affect the minimal speed. These factors can be manipulated to find the most efficient way to clear the wall with the minimum speed.

4. Can the minimal speed be calculated for any type of ball?

Yes, the minimal speed can be calculated for any type of ball as long as the factors mentioned above are taken into consideration. However, the shape and weight of the ball may affect its aerodynamics and ultimately the minimum speed required to clear the wall.

5. How is the minimal speed for a ball to clear a wall used in real-world applications?

The concept of finding the minimal speed for a ball to clear a wall is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as sports like baseball, football, and soccer. It is also used in engineering and design to determine the necessary speed for projectiles to clear obstacles. Additionally, understanding this concept can help improve athletic performance and optimize energy efficiency.