Find Min Segment Length at Point P(1,8)

• MHB
  • Thread starter leprofece
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max
In summary: You can solve the problem in this specific case. As you said in the other thread, the equation of the line passing through (1, 8) is\[y-8 = m(x-1)\]for some $m$. Find the intercepts, i.e., $x$ when $y=0$ and $y$ when $x=0$. Express $x^2+y^2$ through $m$ where $x$ and $y
leprofece
determine the minimum segment that relies on the X axis and Y Axis if it passes through the point P (1, 8).

answers
from (5,0) to ( 0,10)

the point is ( x,0) and (0,y)
find the distance
((x-1)2+64)^2 +(1 +(y-8)2)2)

but how must I proceeed?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a special case of https://driven2services.com/staging/mh/index.php?threads/10250/ you posted.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
This is a special case of https://driven2services.com/staging/mh/index.php?threads/10250/ you posted.

Yeahh the triangle and that is what I don't know to solve

You can solve the problem in this specific case. As you said in the other thread, the equation of the line passing through (1, 8) is
\[
y-8 = m(x-1)
\]
for some $m$. Find the intercepts, i.e., $x$ when $y=0$ and $y$ when $x=0$. Express $x^2+y^2$ through $m$ where $x$ and $y$ are obtained in the previous step. Find the minimum of that expression, or rather prove that $m=-2$ turns its derivative to zero.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
You can solve the problem in this specific case. As you said in the other thread, the equation of the line passing through (1, 8) is
\[
y-8 = m(x-1)
\]
for some $m$. Find the intercepts, i.e., $x$ when $y=0$ and $y$ when $x=0$. Express $x^2+y^2$ through $m$ where $x$ and $y$ are obtained in the previous step. Find the minimum of that expression, or rather prove that $m=-2$ turns its derivative to zero.

I could not get the answer
when I found the intercepts I got X = m-8/m and Y = 8- m
maybe I must raise to 2 and derivate?'

leprofece said:
When you substitute $y=0$ into $y-8=m(x-1)$ and solve for $x$, do you really get $x=m-8/m$? Also, uppercase and lowercase letters are usually distinguished in mathematics, so $x$ and $X$ are different variables. Let's use lowercase letters in this problem.

leprofece said:
maybe I must raise to 2 and derivate?
Yes. As I wrote,
Evgeny.Makarov said:
Express $x^2+y^2$ through $m$ where $x$ and $y$ are obtained in the previous step. Find the minimum of that expression, or rather prove that $m=−2$ turns its derivative to zero.

leprofece said:
I could not get the answer
maybe I must raise to 2 and derivate?'

I got x= (m-8)/(m)
do you understand now?

- - - Updated - - -

Evgeny.Makarov said:
When you substitute $y=0$ into $y-8=m(x-1)$ and solve for $x$, do you really get $x=m-8/m$? Also, uppercase and lowercase letters are usually distinguished in mathematics, so $x$ and $X$ are different variables. Let's use lowercase letters in this problem.

Yes. As I wrote,

And why x2+ y2?
it is not a circle?

leprofece said:
I got x= (m-8)/(m)
Yes, this is better. The formula $x=m-8/m$ means $x=m-\frac{8}{m}$ and is quite a different thing.

leprofece said:
And why x2+ y2?
it is not a circle?
The word "circle" was not used up to now in this thread, so no, it is not a circle.

You have a line segment from $(x,0)$ to $(0,y)$. This segment is the hypotenuse in the triangle formed by parts of the axes between $(0,0)$ and $(x,0)$ and between $(0,0)$ and $(0,y)$. The length of the hypotenuse, which you need to minimize (this is why you are interested in it), is found by the Pythagorean theorem. The length of the side between $(0,0)$ and $(x,0)$ is $x$, and the length of the side between $(0,0)$ and $(0,y)$ is $y$. Thus, the length of the hypotenuse is $\sqrt{x^2+y^2}$. It is easier to consider the square of the length because minimizing it also minimizes the length itself.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Yes, this is better. The formula $x=m-8/m$ means $x=m-\frac{8}{m}$ and is quite a different thing.

The word "circle" was not used up to now in this thread, so no, it is not a circle.

You have a line segment from $(x,0)$ to $(0,y)$. This segment is the hypotenuse in the triangle formed by parts of the axes between $(0,0)$ and $(x,0)$ and between $(0,0)$ and $(0,y)$. The length of the hypotenuse, which you need to minimize (this is why you are interested in it), is found by the Pythagorean theorem. The length of the side between $(0,0)$ and $(x,0)$ is $x$, and the length of the side between $(0,0)$ and $(0,y)$ is $y$. Thus, the length of the hypotenuse is $\sqrt{x^2+y^2}$. It is easier to consider the square of the length because minimizing it also minimizes the length itself.

then I must derive $\sqrt{x^2+y^2}$
and substitute , then equate to zero to get m
valuie??
or plug the values i mean sqrt (( m-8)/(m))2+ (m+8)2) solving and derive i think it is easier because i have one variable instead
equate to 0 and get m value?

leprofece said:
or plug the values i mean sqrt (( m-8)/(m))2+ (m+8)2) solving and derive i think it is easier because i have one variable instead
equate to 0 and get m value?
Yes. I said it before, I'll say it again:
Evgeny.Makarov said:
Find the intercepts, i.e., $x$ when $y=0$ and $y$ when $x=0$. Express $x^2+y^2$ through $m$ where $x$ and $y$ are obtained in the previous step. Find the minimum of that expression, or rather prove that $m=-2$ turns its derivative to zero.
Solving
\[
\frac{d}{dm}\Big((x(m))^2+(y(m))^2\Big)=0
\]
may be a little complicated because it's an equation of the 4th degree, but it is easy to check that $m=-2$ is a root.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Yes. I said it before, I'll say it again:Solving
\[
\]
may be a little complicated because it's an equation of the 4th degree, but it is easy to check that $m=-2$ is a root.

again confused
you mean
it is that I got tl derive that
2x+2y
substitute now)))
2(m-8/m)+2 (m+8) = 0
That is that i understood
is that right?

Well, since you refuse to follow instructions...

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Find the intercepts, i.e., $x$ when $y=0$ and $y$ when $x=0$.
\[
x=1-8/m,\quad y=8-m\qquad(*)
\]
This part you have done.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Express $x^2+y^2$ through $m$ where $x$ and $y$ are obtained in the previous step.
\begin{align*}
x^2+y^2&=\left(1-\frac{8}{m}\right)^2+(8-m)^2\\
&=1-\frac{16}{m}+\frac{64}{m^2}+64-16m+m^2\qquad(**)
\end{align*}

Evgeny.Makarov said:
prove that $m=-2$ turns its derivative to zero.
The derivative of (**):
\[
\frac{16}{m^2}-\frac{128}{m^3}-16+2m\qquad(***)
\]
Now substitute $m=-2$ and check if (***) turns into 0.

Speaking about your previous response:
Evgeny.Makarov said:
Solving
\[
\]
leprofece said:
it is that I got tl derive that
2x+2y
The intercepts $x$ and $y$ that you found are functions of $m$. Each slope $m$ determines a new line through (1, 8) with its own intercepts. That's why I wrote $x(m)$ and $y(m)$. Next, you need to know with respect to which variable you take derivative. It should be the same variable that you vary to find a minimum (or maximum) of something. In this case, you vary the slope $m$ and among all resulting lines you choose the one that cuts the shortest segment against the axes. Therefore, you should take derivative with respect to $m$.

Now, $\frac{d}{dm}(x(m))^2\ne 2x(m)$. This is because you have a composition of $x$ and the square function:
\[
m\mapsto x(m)\mapsto (x(m))^2
\]
According to the chain rule,
\[
\frac{d}{dm}(x(m))^2=2x(m)\frac{d}{dm}x(m)
\]
and similarly for $\frac{d}{dm}(y(m))^2$. So another way to find the derivative (***) is to substitute (*) into
\[
2x(m)x'(m)+2y(m)y'(m)
\]

Again, to find an extremum, you need take derivative with respect to the independent variable. So far I've seen problems you posted with a single independent variable ($m$ in this problem). It is possible to consider situation where you can vary two parameters, say $u$ and $v$, and you need to find the minimum of some $f(u,v)$. Then you need to take partial derivatives of $f$ with respect to $u$ and $v$. My guess is that you have not covered that so far. But in a single-variable case, it makes no no sense to say that $(x^2+y^2)'=2x+2y$. Derivative with respect to what: $x$, $y$ or something else?

Related to Find Min Segment Length at Point P(1,8)

1. What is the meaning of "Find Min Segment Length at Point P(1,8)"?

The phrase "Find Min Segment Length at Point P(1,8)" refers to a mathematical problem where you are given a specific point on a line or curve (in this case, the point P with coordinates 1 and 8) and you are asked to determine the minimum length of a segment that includes this point.

2. How do you calculate the minimum segment length at a given point?

To calculate the minimum segment length at a given point, you need to find the tangent line to the curve at that specific point. Then, you can measure the distance between the tangent line and the point, which will give you the minimum segment length.

3. Can you provide an example of finding the minimum segment length at a point?

Sure, for example, if you have the curve y = x^2 and the point P(1,8), you can find the minimum segment length by finding the tangent line to the curve at x = 1, which is y = 2x - 1. Then, you can measure the distance between this line and the point P, which is 1 unit. Therefore, the minimum segment length at point P(1,8) is 1 unit.

4. What is the importance of finding the minimum segment length at a point?

Finding the minimum segment length at a point is important in various mathematical and scientific fields. It can help determine the slope of a curve, the rate of change of a function, and the point of inflection, among other things. It also has practical applications in physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. Are there any tools or techniques that can help with finding the minimum segment length at a point?

Yes, there are various mathematical tools and techniques that can be used to find the minimum segment length at a given point. These include using calculus concepts such as derivatives and integrals, as well as geometric methods such as finding the distance between two points or using the Pythagorean theorem.