Find maximum of the function N(t) without Calculus

In summary, the function may have a maximum at t=24 if it is a parabola with symmetry axis given by the part of the equation not under the square root sign.
Mathman2013
Homework Statement
Find maximum of N(t) without Calculus
Relevant Equations
N(t) = 1456*0.996^(t^2 - 48*t)
How would you go about finding maximum value for this function without Calculus? You can draw in it a CAS tool like Geogebra, NSpire or Maple. And use the maximise ability. But is possible to do it by hand? Pre-Calculus?

Physics news on Phys.org
PF guidelines ask you to post an attempt at solution before we can help.

When is something like this at a maximum ?

##\ ##

BvU said:
PF guidelines ask you to post an attempt at solution before we can help.

When is something like this at a maximum ?

##\ ##
I have tried to say I take the internal function y=t^2-48*t and solve y =0, then t^2-48*t = 0, then I get t = 0 or t = 48, and it looks to be the function is symetrical, so if I divide by 48 by 2, I get t = 24, and N(24) = 14648.13868 which looks to be a maximum. But is there a better way?

Attachments

• pg.png
    pg.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 128
caz said:
This is similar to maximizing 0.996^x. What does this say about x?
if x increases then N decreases?

caz said:
If you want to maximize N, what do you want x to do?
x to increase to. But why do I get the maximum point if solve the internal function as eqn: t^2-48*t=0 and divide one of the roots by two? Is it only do to symetry?

Mathman2013 said:
I have tried to say I take the internal function y=t^2-48*t and solve y =0, then t^2-48*t = 0, then I get t = 0 or t = 48, and it looks to be the function is symetrical, so if I divide by 48 by 2, I get t = 24, and N(24) = 14648.13868 which looks to be a maximum. But is there a better way?

I love the conditioned reaction to solve y = 0 and the ten digit accuracy of N(24), but unfortunately both are irrelevant here. The direct questions by @caz are more to the point.

If you want to maximize ##a^x## for a number ##a## between 0 and 1, what do you want for ##x## ? that it is zero, at a minimum, or at a maximum ?PS: @caz : in PF, we don't give the answer on a silver plate, but try to let the poster find his/her way towards the solution by him/herself using gentle nudges and inviting questions ...

##\ ##

The form ##y=ax^2+bx+c ## is a parabola whose axis of symmetry can be found by completing the square. That's the algebraic way of coming up with the number ## t=24 ## that you did.

Mathman2013 said:
x to increase to. But why do I get the maximum point if solve the internal function as eqn: t^2-48*t=0 and divide one of the roots by two? Is it only do to symetry?
Yes, if ##y=f(x)##, if it’s quadratic (something like ##f(x)=A x^2 + Bx + C## where ##A, B, C## are constants), then the point halfway between two zeros of ##f## will be either a maximum or a minimum.

Maybe worth noting that in the quadratic formula, the axis of symmetry (which gives the x co-ordinate of the min/max) is given by the part of the formula not under the square root sign.

I think the OP left off a minus sign for ## N(t) ##. Otherwise the function that he has will have a minimum and not a maximum. (His graph in post 3 is also incorrect otherwise).

Charles Link said:
I think the OP left off a minus sign for ## N(t) ##. Otherwise the function that he has will have a minimum and not a maximum. (His graph in post 3 is also incorrect otherwise).

No, the function is presented $$N(t)=1456 \cdot 0.996^{t^2-48 \cdot t}$$, where $$t \geq 0$$

Likes BvU
My mistake. I didn't see the ^ in the OP. In any case ## t^2-48t=(t-24)^2-576 ##.
To do the arithmetic of ## .996^{-576} ## is the next problem. One possibility would be to use logarithms.

Last edited:
Likes Mathman2013
For this equation, you indeed don't need calculus to know t that will maximize N(t). If you add a simple algebraic step, the answer will be shown more clearly.

Likes Charles Link
You divide by 2 because this is the way to complete the square and this way find the vertex of the parabola which is a max or a min.

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
One possibility would be to use logarithms.
How about the binomial expansion?

Likes Charles Link

Related to Find maximum of the function N(t) without Calculus

1. What is the function N(t)?

The function N(t) represents the number of individuals in a population at a given time t. It can be used to model various phenomena such as population growth or decay.

2. Why is it important to find the maximum of N(t)?

Finding the maximum of N(t) allows us to determine the peak population size and the corresponding time at which it occurs. This information can be useful in predicting future population trends and making informed decisions about resource allocation.

3. Can the maximum of N(t) be found without using Calculus?

Yes, the maximum of N(t) can be found without using Calculus. There are various methods such as graphical analysis, trial and error, and algebraic manipulation that can be used to find the maximum value of a function without Calculus.

4. What are the limitations of finding the maximum of N(t) without Calculus?

One limitation is that the method used may not always give an accurate or precise result. For example, graphical analysis may be affected by the scale of the graph or the accuracy of the plotted points. Another limitation is that some functions may be more complex and require Calculus to find the maximum value.

5. How can I apply the maximum of N(t) to real-world situations?

The maximum of N(t) can be applied to various real-world situations, such as predicting the peak sales of a product, estimating the maximum number of customers at a store, or determining the optimal harvest time for a crop. It can also be used in fields such as economics, biology, and environmental science to analyze population trends and make informed decisions.