Find max height of inclined plane

In summary, the problem involves a block with an initial velocity of 2m/s moving up a frictionless inclined plane at 60 degrees to the horizontal. Using kinematics, we can find the displacement along the slope by using the equation v^2=u^2+2ad. Solving for the acceleration, we get 10(sin60)=8.66 m/s^2. From there, we can use the equation d=vit+1/2at^2 to find the time, and then use sin60= Opposite/hypotenuse to solve for the height. However, the "correct" answer seems to be for the displacement along the slope, not the height. The hint suggests using the conservation of energy
Ilovepysics
1. Homework Statement
A block given an intial velocity of 2m/s up a frictionless inclined at 60 degrees to the horizontal. What is the highest point reached by the block?

2. Homework Equations

gsin(θ)=a
a=v/t
d=vit + 1/2at^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Found vx = vsin60= 2(sin60)=1.73

I solved for the acceleration
10(sin60)= 8.66 m/s^2

Then I found time using v/t=a

Then plugged in the time t into
d=vit+1/2at^2

Then used sin60= Opposite/hypotonuse to solve for the height.

But I did not get the correct answer of .24m. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong and point me in the right direction please

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Conservation of energy.

(note: you overcomplicated your analysis by doing too many steps - to use kinematics, you want to draw the v-t graph for the motion - it's a triangle - use this to get equations for displacement and acceleration which will be two equations with two unknowns. eg. make the final equation before you plug the numbers in. The kinematic equation you were looking for was v^2=u^2+2ad, saves wear and tear on your calculator to notice that sin(60)=(√3)/2 - watch for these special triangles.)

[edit]
I got it - the problem is not looking for the height the "correct" answer appears to be for the displacement along the slope.

Last edited:

Related to Find max height of inclined plane

1. What is the formula for finding the maximum height of an inclined plane?

The formula for finding the maximum height of an inclined plane is h = d*sin(θ), where h is the maximum height, d is the length of the inclined plane, and θ is the angle of the inclined plane.

2. How do you determine the angle of an inclined plane?

The angle of an inclined plane can be determined by measuring the height and length of the plane and using the formula θ = sin^-1(h/d), where θ is the angle, h is the height, and d is the length of the plane.

3. Can the maximum height of an inclined plane be greater than the length of the plane?

No, the maximum height of an inclined plane cannot be greater than the length of the plane. This is because the angle of the plane cannot be greater than 90 degrees, and the formula for finding the maximum height involves the sine of the angle, which cannot be greater than 1.

4. How does the weight of the object affect the maximum height of the inclined plane?

The weight of the object does not directly affect the maximum height of an inclined plane. However, the weight of the object does affect the amount of force needed to push the object up the inclined plane, which can impact the maximum height that can be reached.

5. Are there any real-life applications of finding the maximum height of inclined planes?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of finding the maximum height of inclined planes. For example, it can be used in construction to determine the angle and length of ramps for wheelchair accessibility. It can also be used in engineering to design roads and highways with safe incline angles for vehicles.