Find Magnitude of Normal Reaction from Hinge after Release of Rod

In summary: Your name]In summary, to find the magnitude of the normal reaction exerted by the hinge just after the release of the rod, we need to consider the forces and torques acting on the rod. Using the equations τ = Iα and F = ma, we can calculate the angular acceleration and normal reaction force, which are equal to 3gsin@/l and mgsin@, respectively. This is the correct answer and there is no problem with the solution.
Mandeep Deka

Homework Statement

A rod (length 'l'; mass 'm') is hinged to a vertical wall and is released when it makes an angle @ with the wall. Find the magnitude of normal reaction exerted by the hinge just after the release of the rod?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the angular acceleration just after the release of the rod about the hinge point. Now this angular acceleration shall be the same as the angular acceleration of the hinge point about the center of mass of the rod. But if i solve this equation, i get (mgsin@/4) as the answer which is not correct!
Where is the problem in the solution?

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. In order to accurately calculate the magnitude of the normal reaction exerted by the hinge just after the release of the rod, we need to consider the forces acting on the rod.

Firstly, we have the weight of the rod acting downwards, which is equal to mg. We also have the normal reaction force exerted by the hinge, which is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the weight of the rod. Additionally, we have the torque due to the weight of the rod acting about the hinge point, which is given by mglsin@.

Since the rod is released from rest, we can use the equation τ = Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. We can rewrite this equation as mglsin@ = Iα.

Next, we need to find the moment of inertia of the rod about the hinge point. This can be calculated using the formula I = (1/3)ml^2, where m is the mass of the rod and l is its length.

Substituting this into our equation, we get mglsin@ = (1/3)ml^2α. Solving for α, we get α = 3gsin@/l.

Now, we can use the equation F = ma to find the normal reaction force exerted by the hinge. Since the rod is in rotational motion, we need to use the rotational version of this equation, which is τ = Iα. This can be rewritten as F = Iα/l.

Substituting our values, we get F = (1/3)ml^2(3gsin@/l)/l = mgsin@.

Therefore, the magnitude of the normal reaction force exerted by the hinge just after the release of the rod is equal to mgsin@, which is the correct answer.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubts. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Find Magnitude of Normal Reaction from Hinge after Release of Rod

What is the purpose of finding the magnitude of normal reaction from hinge after release of rod?

The purpose of finding the magnitude of normal reaction from hinge after release of rod is to analyze the forces acting on the rod and determine the stability of the system. This information is important in understanding the behavior of structures under different conditions.

How is the magnitude of normal reaction from hinge after release of rod calculated?

The magnitude of normal reaction from hinge after release of rod can be calculated using the principle of moments. This involves balancing the moments of forces acting on the rod about the hinge point and solving for the normal reaction force.

What factors affect the magnitude of normal reaction from hinge after release of rod?

The magnitude of normal reaction from hinge after release of rod is affected by several factors such as the weight and length of the rod, the angle at which it is released, and the distance from the hinge to the point of release. It can also be affected by external forces acting on the rod, such as wind or other loads.

Why is it important to consider the normal reaction from hinge after release of rod in structural analysis?

The normal reaction from hinge after release of rod is an important factor in structural analysis as it helps in determining the stability of a structure. If the normal reaction is too high, it could lead to structural failure, while if it is too low, the structure may become unstable. It is also important in designing and evaluating the strength and durability of structures.

Can the magnitude of normal reaction from hinge after release of rod be negative?

Yes, it is possible for the magnitude of normal reaction from hinge after release of rod to be negative. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the assumed positive direction. It is important to consider negative values in the calculation as they can affect the overall stability and safety of the structure.