Find magnetic field at a distance from wire

Just remember to use the correct equation for the point you are trying to find the magnetic field at. In summary, the magnetic field at a distance of r2 = 0.0065m from the wire with radius R = 0.01m carrying a current with uniform density can be calculated using the equation B = (μ0I)/ (2πr) for points outside the wire and B = (μ0Ir)/ (2πR) for points inside the wire. Plugging in the values, we get a magnitude of approximately 4.9 x 10^-4 T. Other classmates may have gotten different results if they used the incorrect equation or made a mistake in their calculations.
ooohffff

Homework Statement

A wire with radius R= .01 m carries a current with uniform density. At a distance r1 =1.25m from the wire, the magnetic field has a magnitude of 2.55 μT. Calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field r2=.0065m from the wire.

Homework Equations

B= (μ0I)/ 2πr

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I did:
B1=(μ0I)/( 2πr1)
Solving for I:
I = (B12πr1)/μ0
Plugging it into the B2 equation:
B2=(μ0B12πr1)/(2πr2μ0)
= (B1r1)/r2
=4.9 x 10^-4 T

I'm not sure if I did this right since other people in my class got something different. Can someone corroborate this? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Keep in mind that the equation B= (μ0I)/ (2πr) is only valid for points outside the wire.

TSny said:
Hello. Keep in mind that the equation B= (μ0I)/ (2πr) is only valid for points outside the wire.

Oh I see, I would have to use the equation for the magnetic field inside the wire for B2:

B2= (μ0Ir2)/ (2πR2)

Plugging I into this equation:
B2= (μ0B12πr1r2)/ (2πR2μ0)
=(B1r1r2)/ R2

That looks correct to me.

Related to Find magnetic field at a distance from wire

1. How do you find the magnetic field at a distance from a wire?

To find the magnetic field at a distance from a wire, you can use the formula B = μ0I/2πr, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wire, and r is the distance from the wire. Alternatively, you can use Ampere's law or the Biot-Savart law to calculate the magnetic field.

2. What is the direction of the magnetic field around a wire?

The direction of the magnetic field around a wire is given by the right hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current flow in the wire, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field. This means that the magnetic field forms concentric circles around the wire.

3. How does the distance from the wire affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field decreases as the distance from the wire increases. This is because the magnetic field spreads out as it travels away from the wire, resulting in a weaker field at greater distances.

4. How does the current in the wire affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current in the wire. This means that as the current increases, the magnetic field also increases. Similarly, as the current decreases, the magnetic field also decreases.

5. Can the magnetic field be negative?

No, the magnetic field cannot be negative. It is a vector quantity and is always directed either towards or away from the wire, depending on the direction of the current. However, the magnitude of the magnetic field can be zero if the distance from the wire is infinite.