Solve Probability Problem: 4 Letters from MISSISSIPPI

• Thread starter neomage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem where four letters are chosen at random from the word MISSISSIPPI and the probability of at least three I's being chosen is determined. The answer should be (29/330), but the individual is having trouble coming up with this answer. Different approaches to solving the problem are discussed, including using combinatorics to arrive at the answer of (29/330).
neomage
OK I've been working on a math problem for a while now, and the answer just isn't coming any help would be appreciated.
This is for an independent study class. I am basically teaching myself various math subjects that we don't get in school.

here it is:

Four letters are chosen at random from the word MISSISSIPPI. Determine the probability that at least three I's are chosen.

now I know the answer should be (29/330) according to my book, but I can't come up with this answer.

It seems to me that the logical thing would be to do this:

(4/11)*(3/10)*(2/9)*(1/8)= (1/330) the probability of getting all I's
then
(4/11)*(3/10)*(2/9)*(1-(1/8))= (7/330)

(7/330)+(1/330)= (8/330)= (4/165)

I've tried many other things to come up with (29/330) but I can't get that answer

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your second term (7/330) has to be multiplied by 4, since anyone of the 4 I's can be omitted.

I was trying so many permutations and combinations that I was going crazy. If I would have just stopped and thought about it for a second and tried not to make it so complicated i might have gotten it. THanks for the help

Another way to solve the problem (simpler) is using combinatorics.

There are 11 letters and 4 of them are drawed,therefore the total number of possible combinations to draw 4 of them is:

N=C114=11!/[(11-4)!*4!]=330

How many possibilities exist that have at least 3 'I'?

We have:

I I I ? ;where for ? we have 1 'I',1 'M',4 'S' and 2 'P' as possibilities.Therefore we have 1+1+4+2=8 valid possibilities.

Now the position of ? (1 'I',1'M',4 'S' and 2 'P') in the above string can be on the first place,the second or the third place also.

For every such case we have 7 distinct possibilities left (1+4+2) (this is because 'I' do not give distinct possibilties when ? is on the first,the second or the third place).

Finally the required probability is:

p=[8+7+7+7]/N=29/330 q.e.d.

Last edited:

What is a probability problem?

A probability problem is a mathematical question that involves calculating the likelihood of a certain event or outcome occurring. In this case, we are trying to determine the probability of choosing 4 letters from the word "MISSISSIPPI" and getting a specific combination.

How do I solve a probability problem?

To solve a probability problem, you need to first identify the total number of possible outcomes and the number of favorable outcomes. Then, you can calculate the probability by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes.

What is the total number of possible outcomes in "MISSISSIPPI"?

The total number of possible outcomes in "MISSISSIPPI" is 11!/(4! * 4! * 2!) = 34650. This is because there are 11 letters in the word and we are choosing 4 of them without replacement.

What is the probability of choosing the letters "MISP" from "MISSISSIPPI"?

The probability of choosing the letters "MISP" from "MISSISSIPPI" is 4!/(11!/(4! * 4! * 2!)) = 4/34650 = 1/8662.5 = 0.0001154. This is because there is only one way to choose the letters "MISP" out of the 34650 possible outcomes.

How can I use probability to solve real-world problems?

Probability is a useful tool in solving real-world problems, especially in fields such as statistics, economics, and finance. It can be used to make predictions, assess risk, and make informed decisions based on data and likelihoods. For example, businesses may use probability to determine the success of a new product launch or investors may use it to evaluate the potential return on an investment.