Find Limit of (x^3/2 - 27)/(x-9) with Sample Values

In summary, for part a, the limit of (x^3/2 - 27)/(x-9) is 4.5. And for part b, the appropriate factoring is (a-b)(a^2+ab+b^2), where a = sqrt(x) and b = 3. The correct answer for the limit is 9/2.
ardentmed
Hey guys, I would greatly appreciate some help for this question I'm working on at the moment:
"1.a) Use the values 9.1, 9.01, 9.001, 9.0001 to guess at the value of

lim x->9 (x^3/2 - 27)/(x-9)

1.b) Then, use appropriate factoring to find the limit of (a)"

For part a, I took sample values approaching 9, so x=9.1, .. x=9.0001 and ultimately guessed that the limit is 4.5.

As for b, I couldn't get a definitive answer, but I'm guessing that factoring works. Am I close?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here, we need to factor this:

$$\frac{x^{\frac{3}{2}}-27}{x-9}$$

One thing you should notice is that you can apply the difference of cubes:

$$\frac{(x^{\frac{1}{2}})^3-27}{x-9}$$

From here, you can directly apply the difference of cubes, in which case, you will be dealing with $\sqrt{x}$'s. However, if you want to deal with only integer exponents, you can make a substitution for x. What could that substitution be?

Last edited:
Rido12 said:
Here, we need to factor this:

$$\frac{x^{\frac{3}{2}}-27}{x-9}$$

One thing you should notice is that you can apply the difference of cubes:

$$\frac{(x^{\frac{1}{2}})^3-27}{x-9}$$

From here, you can directly apply the difference of cubes, in which case, you will be dealing with $\sqrt{x}$'s. However, if you want to deal with only integer exponents, you can make a substitution for x. What could that substitution be?

Wow, I never saw the corrolation there. So I ended up cancelling (x^.5 - 3) in the nominator and denominator and substituted x -> 9 and ultimately computed:

3+9+9 / 6 = 7/2.

Am I close? Thanks.

Close. Double-check your factoring.

Rido12 said:
Close. Double-check your factoring.

Just did and got the same answer. Shouldn't it be 9/2?

Check what you typed above. (Wink)

ardentmed said:
3+9+9 / 6 = 7/2.

Am I close? Thanks.

Yup, \(\displaystyle \frac{9}{2} \)is the right answer!

Though, it would be wise to note that your limit is of the form:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \lim_{x \to a} \frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}\)
Where $f(x) = x^{3/2}$. You could have rewritten the limit as a derivative and solve it via power rule.

Rido12 said:
Check what you typed above. (Wink)
Yup, \(\displaystyle \frac{9}{2} \)is the right answer!

Though, it would be wise to note that your limit is of the form:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \lim_{x \to a} \frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}\)
Where $f(x) = x^{3/2}$. You could have rewritten the limit as a derivative and solve it via power rule.
I know that it's 9/2 because of my answer from part one of the question. However, I can't get to 9/2 for some odd reason for part b. My factoring may be off, but I've already double checked it. Could you please point out the flaw in my work?

Thanks.

Your factoring is wrong. \(\displaystyle a^3-b^3=(a-b)(a^2+ab+b^2)\), where $a=\sqrt{x}$ and $b=3$

Related to Find Limit of (x^3/2 - 27)/(x-9) with Sample Values

1. What is the purpose of finding the limit of (x^3/2 - 27)/(x-9)?

The purpose of finding the limit of a function is to determine the behavior of the function as the input approaches a specific value. In this case, we are interested in the behavior of the function (x^3/2 - 27)/(x-9) as x approaches the value 9.

2. How do you find the limit of (x^3/2 - 27)/(x-9)?

To find the limit, we first substitute the value 9 into the function to see if it is defined at that point. If it is not defined, we can use algebraic manipulation or graphing to estimate the limit. In this case, we can use algebraic manipulation to factor the numerator and simplify the expression, ultimately resulting in a limit of 27 as x approaches 9.

3. What are sample values and why are they used in finding the limit?

Sample values are specific numerical values that are used to evaluate the function at a certain point. They are used in finding the limit to help understand the behavior of the function at that point and to provide a visual representation of the limit.

4. Can the limit of a function exist even if the function is not defined at that point?

Yes, the limit of a function can exist even if the function is not defined at that point. This is because the limit is concerned with the behavior of the function as the input approaches a specific value, not the actual value of the function at that point.

5. How does the value of the limit change if the function is continuous at the point of interest?

If the function is continuous at the point of interest, then the limit will be equal to the actual value of the function at that point. This is because the definition of continuity states that a function is continuous at a point if the limit at that point is equal to the function value at that point.