Can you get your Private Pilot's license in just 48 days?

• Thread starter timejim
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around discussing unique talents and abilities. Some people shared their talents, such as being able to lick their elbow or recite the alphabet backwards while drunk, while others discussed their talents for impersonating professors or growing long hair. The conversation also touched on the idea of using one's talents for good or for criticism, and some shared their ability to see the faults and shortcomings of others and themselves objectively. Ultimately, the conversation highlighted the diversity and uniqueness of talents and the joy that comes from sharing them with others.
Originally posted by Monique
Actually a picture to go with it :) there is an instructor standing in the opening, and someone is coming down.

YIKES, Monique! You've got some serious ovarian fortitude goin' on there! (The more genteel expression of female 'balls'.)
Those caves alone would do me in! I do not like caves. No I don't. Not one little bit. They don't creep me out as bad as leather pants on a nerd, but they DO creep me out!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, the caves were fun.. at one point we had to lower ourselves, one by one, down a small waterfall that led into a pit in the mountain. There was an instructor there on the bottom of the pit, and the only way out (or in) was through the hole in the ground.

I had to sit down in the stream, while the instructor was holding the harness in the back, my arms crossed and my chin facing the chest.

He let go and *whoosh* down I went along the slope, through the hole, down another bumpy slope, pushed forth by the water, zero gravity all of a sudden! A huge drop all of a sudden, ofcourse they didn't tell you to hold the nose closed, so I got my ears cleaned by the water that entered through my nose :P

Disoriented, gasping for air, undoing the ears and nose for water, I look around and see the group of people chearfully waving at me hanging from the walls to come and join them. Apparently I ended up in a cave, so swum to the wall and tried to climb up to find rescue from the water.

After that I enjoyed all the other disoriented people flying down into the cave :)

Once I made a cock crowed at 8.30pm!

Well, can you ?

I can sympathise. I managed to grow a 3 inch long beard over the summer. It didn't go down well with many people. Some just have no taste.

Yes, I understand exactly what you mean. Sometimes it can work out as an advantage. I worked as a tour guide for this company in Chattanooga, TN and during the Spring of 2002, I had a really thick goatee and my hair was pretty long. When people would make side conversation with me and inquire about what I was doing in school, I would tell them that I was working on my Ph.D in Physics (which is a semi-truth. I am working for one I just didn't tell them where I'm at in the process :smile:). They would be like: "wow, I was just discussing with my husband how intellectual you look" and pretty soon she spread the news to rest of the tour group (consisting of roughly 50 people) that their tour guide was a Ph.D student in Physics. At the end of the tour, people were reaching into their pockets and handing me a fistful of dollar bills saying "son, we know you won't need this but it's great to see a young man with focus. Good luck son!"

I think the total in tips that individual tour was roughly $75. Not bad for a beared, long-haired "hippee."

I keep trying for long hair, but I get sick of the mullet stage inbetween short and long hair. Any hair tips?

Yep, don't you hate that? THis is going to sound pathetic but you know that Tom Cruise "I'm growing my hair long" look? I try to get my hair like that. It's popular with the ladies!*

Sometimes I wear a cap or tobbagan (spelling?).

One time I asked a barber to give me a cut that minimized the mullet look. Mathematically, this involved taking the derivatives and finding the critical points so a working knowledge of Calculus would help.

Sometimes I try look at the positive side of the mullet stage by taking advantage of the mullet look for two reasons:
1. I can try to blend in with the general population of NW Georgia
2. I've always wanted to see what an Indian with a mullet looks like.

Of course even with concerns for assimilation and curiosity, mullets are stupid looking so I try to speed up the mullet stage by consuming a lot of protein to speed up the growth.

*Seriously, how come hot-shot celebrities can get away with the mullet look? They are no different from the non celebrity population.

Originally posted by Sting
*Seriously, how come hot-shot celebrities can get away with the mullet look?

They DON'T!
Who?

By the way, I wore hats every day (for about 1 - 1 1/2 years from buzz-cut day one) until I could fit it all in a pony-tail.
I even wore them to my corporate office job.
In that time I only a neck and ear line trim when I started looking a little too wild, otherwise no cuts at all.

Geeze Monique! You have guts!

Originally posted by Monique
I GOT IT! Finally something worth timejim's question

As 18 yr olds most people go on beach vacations, I went into the Italian Alps (the Dolomites) for an adventure.. One of the excursions was making our way down a river which had cut its way through the mountain. Wetsuit on, helmet on, knee and arm protectors and a harness for the repelling.

It started out easy, dip yourself under in the melting water of the mountain: *COLD*! We started walking through the river, just a foot deep:
Ok, this is where you would have lost me. I'm a whimp.

I did blow cheese out of my nose once. I didn't plan to, but I sneezed while swallowing a bite of a cheese sandwich. Does that count?

I can hold my breath for two and a half minutes. Of cousre by the end I look loke this

Does this remind anyone else of that scene in "The Breakfast Club" when they were talking about their talents and Claire put her lipstick on with her cleavage?

Originally posted by one_raven
By the way, I wore hats every day (for about 1 - 1 1/2 years from buzz-cut day one) until I could fit it all in a pony-tail.
I even wore them to my corporate office job.
In that time I only a neck and ear line trim when I started looking a little too wild, otherwise no cuts at all.
Ponytails are worse than mullets.. just to let you know I like long hair though, but when it gets close or past the mullet stage.. a big no no.

I've ridden motorcycles since I was 14 and have always been pretty quick...
I have wanted to race since an early age, but never managed to get round to it. In 2001 I decided to do it - I was going to go Classic Bike racing. I had a seized rusty heap of a '67 Suzuki 250 in my shed and a plan.
I had NEVER built a race bike before, but decided that I would build my own classic from scratch. I went to races, met people, set up a website (www.t20suzuki.com and got going.
I finished it in August 2002, entered my first race at the end of the 2002 season and in 2003 WON the UK Classic Racing Motorcycle Club 250cc twins championship!

As to the thread title, I did it, can you? Well through my website, many people have become inspired to 'finally do it myself' too and next season there should be at least four more guys out there racing in my class against me who were inspired by my site. Cool!

I think the total in tips that individual tour was roughly $75. Not bad for a beared, long-haired "hippee."

Wow, that's pretty cool. My beard tends to make me look more like Satan's spawn though. Perhaps not so charisma enhancing...

I like long hair though, but when it gets close or past the mullet stage.. a big no no.

At least some have taste :wink: Looks like I'm going to have to invest in hats to last the next 18 or so months...

if you're younger, you can always pull off the dirty hippy stoner kid look, assuming you never trim anything.

mine's just past that stage, starting to get just a little too long, so i think I'm going to go dreads shortly...

Let's see...I can dislocate nearly any joint in my body without effort, can get my tongue behind the epiglottis, and can hula-hoop for over an hour.

I can hit the ceiling... I'll let you figure this one out