Information on mirages and mirages pictures

In summary, mirages are optical illusions that occur when light is refracted through different densities of air, creating an image that appears to be real but is actually a distorted version of the object. These illusions are most commonly seen in desert areas, where hot air near the ground causes light to bend, creating the appearance of a pool of water or a distant object. Mirages can also occur over bodies of water, with the inverted image of the sky appearing to be reflected on the surface. While mirages can be captivating to witness, they are simply a trick of the light and do not actually exist. Many stunning pictures of mirages can be found online, showcasing the beauty and mystery of these natural phenomena.
vaastav
Can anybody help me about mirages what it is and post links about its complete infomation and its pictures

Physics news on Phys.org
Mirages are caused by a large temperature gradient near the ground. When the ground is very hot (black top roads on a hot summer day are typical of places where this occurs) the air above them becomes heated as well. The index of refraction of air depends on the density which is effected by temperature, so this causes light which approaches the hot surface at a shallow angle to be bent away from its normal path. What you see in a mirage is the reflection of things just above the horizon directly in front of you. Generally this is sky, thus the appearance of "water" on the road. Careful inspection of such mirages will revel images of trees, houses, cars and other objects approaching you on the road.

As for links, you can google as well as I can. Do a search on Mirage, I am sure you will get some good hits. Or just go to Howthingswork.com.

Edit:

I found http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/Math/mirage.pdf on my personal web space. Note that it is 2.5MB so if you are on dial up... Be warned! This my be more then you can understand but there are some nice pictures! From Optics by Rossi

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx mate

Thank you SIR

What is a mirage?

A mirage is a naturally occurring optical illusion that is often seen in deserts or over hot surfaces. It is a visual phenomenon caused by the refraction of light and is often mistaken for a real object.

How is a mirage formed?

A mirage is formed when there is a significant temperature difference between the ground and the air above it. This temperature difference causes light to bend, creating a distorted image of the surrounding landscape.

Are mirages always present in hot, desert environments?

No, mirages are not always present in hot, desert environments. They require specific atmospheric conditions, such as a large temperature difference between the ground and air, to occur. Therefore, mirages are not always present in hot, desert environments, but they are more commonly seen in these areas.

Can mirages be captured in photographs?

Yes, mirages can be captured in photographs. However, it can be difficult to capture the full effect of a mirage in a photograph since they are often 3-dimensional illusions. Additionally, the image may not be as clear or defined as what is seen in person.

Are mirages dangerous?

No, mirages are not dangerous. They are simply optical illusions and do not pose any physical harm. However, they can be misleading and may cause navigation or perception errors in certain situations.