Find Iron Core Plates for Transformer Prototypes - Top Sources Listed Here!

In summary, the person is looking for places to buy iron core plates for making transformers for their prototypes. They have considered using microwave power supply's but need to find ones with the same cores. They mention the term "Ei core" and suggest searching for Transformer Laminations or Transformer Kits. Additional resources for E and I cores are provided. The person asks for more information regarding frequency and power handling.
marmstrong941
Hi I am looking for places I can get iron core plates to make transformers. These are needed for prototypes I want to make. I have looked at microwave power supply’s. They would work but I would need to find a few with the same ones in them. I need just the cores and I will wire the copper up myself. Thanks to anyone that has this information.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The term of art for those is Ei core. Try searching for that. You can get ferrite and powdered metal ones as well.

BoB

Try a search with the term Transformer Laminations or even Transformer Kits.

marmstrong941 said:
Hi I am looking for places I can get iron core plates to make transformers.
What frequency will they be transforming; 50Hz, 60Hz, 400Hz, 1kHz or 100kHz ?
How much power must they handle?

Related to Find Iron Core Plates for Transformer Prototypes - Top Sources Listed Here!

1. What are transformer core plates made of?

Transformer core plates are typically made of a magnetic material such as silicon steel or nickel-iron alloys. These materials are chosen for their ability to efficiently conduct and store magnetic energy.

2. What is the purpose of transformer core plates?

The main purpose of transformer core plates is to provide a low reluctance path for the magnetic flux generated by the transformer's primary winding. This allows for efficient transfer of electrical energy from the primary to the secondary winding.

3. How are transformer core plates stacked?

Transformer core plates are stacked in alternating layers, with each layer rotated 90 degrees from the previous one. This helps to minimize energy losses due to eddy currents, as the changing magnetic field induces currents in the core material.

4. Why are transformer core plates laminated?

Transformer core plates are laminated in order to reduce energy losses due to eddy currents. The lamination process involves coating the plates with an insulating material, such as varnish or oxide, to create a barrier between them and minimize eddy current flow.

5. How do transformer core plates affect the efficiency of a transformer?

The design and quality of transformer core plates can greatly impact the efficiency of a transformer. A well-designed core with high-quality materials can minimize energy losses and improve efficiency, while a poorly designed or low-quality core can result in significant energy losses and decreased efficiency.