Find Integer Values of a for Inequality Problem

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the inequality x^2+y^2+xy+1 >= a(x+y) for all real values of x and y, and find the possible integer(s) in the range of a. One method involves rewriting the equation as a quadratic inequality and solving for when the resulting parabola takes only non-negative values. Another method involves using the discriminant to determine when the parabola has non-negative values.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Let ##x^2+y^2+xy+1 \geq a(x+y)## for all ##x,y \in R##. Find the possible integer(s) in the range of ##a##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can rewrite this into ##(x+y)^2-xy+1 \geq a(x+y) \Rightarrow (x+y)(x+y-a)+1-xy \geq 0## but I don't think that this would help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can treat this as a quadratic inequality with a variable [itex]x[/itex]:

[itex]x^2+(y-a)x+y^2-ay+1\ge 0[/itex]

and determine when this parabola takes only non-negative values.

I don't have any great advice but the method of Lagrange multipliers (from calculus) shows that the = case happens when x = y. Probably one must by some argument show that the strongest constraining effect happens when x = y. Or perhaps not, but I don't have any better advice.

Last edited:
I've got it. You must rotate the coordinate axes. Rotate them 45 degrees counter-clockwise, this will make the right side depend on a single variable. I was looking for a way to make this problem easier.

##(x,y) → (\frac{x'}{\sqrt{2}} - \frac{y'}{\sqrt{2}}, \frac{x'}{\sqrt{2}} + \frac{y'}{\sqrt{2}})##

verty said:
I've got it. You must rotate the coordinate axes. Rotate them 45 degrees counter-clockwise, this will make the right side depend on a single variable. I was looking for a way to make this problem easier.

##(x,y) → (\frac{x'}{\sqrt{2}} - \frac{y'}{\sqrt{2}}, \frac{x'}{\sqrt{2}} + \frac{y'}{\sqrt{2}})##
It doesn't need to be a pure rotation, so you can forget the √2s. Any invertible substitution is valid.

Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

Let ##x^2+y^2+xy+1 \geq a(x+y)## for all ##x,y \in R##. Find the possible integer(s) in the range of ##a##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can rewrite this into ##(x+y)^2-xy+1 \geq a(x+y) \Rightarrow (x+y)(x+y-a)+1-xy \geq 0## but I don't think that this would help.

You have already found one equation;
##(x+y)^2-xy+1 \geq a(x+y)##
This can again be rewritten as ##(x+1)^2+(y+1)^2-2(x+y)+xy-1\geq a(x+y)##

Add these two equations and with little manupulation you get,

##(x+1)^2+(y+1)^2+(x+y)^2 \geq 2(a+1)(x+y)##

Then with some more manupulation you get,

##-(x+y)(x+y-2a-2) \geq (x+1)^2+(y+1)^2## Divide by 2..

##(-(x+y)(x+y-2a-2))/2 \geq ((x+1)^2+(y+1)^2)/2##here ##(x+1)^2## and ##(y+1)^2## are both positive. So, their arithmetic mean is ≥ geometric mean
which implies,

##(-(x+y)(x+y-2a-2))/2 \geq sqrt(x+1)(y+1)##

I think we have got nearer to the answer. Hope this helps

Last edited:
haruspex said:
It doesn't need to be a pure rotation, so you can forget the √2s. Any invertible substitution is valid.

Right, I didn't see that. So any invertible substitution that takes x+y to a single-variable alternative will work to make the problem solvable without calculus or advanced techniques. The basic idea is to let a depend on x only, so we can set y to 0 without affecting anything.

Sorry for such a late reply.

szynkasz said:
You can treat this as a quadratic inequality with a variable [itex]x[/itex]:

[itex]x^2+(y-a)x+y^2-ay+1\ge 0[/itex]

and determine when this parabola takes only non-negative values.

The discriminant should be less than zero i.e.
[tex](y-a)^2-4(y^2-ay+1)<0[/tex]
What am I supposed to do with this? Work on the discriminant of the resulting quadratic again? :confused:

sharan swarup said:
You have already found one equation;
##(x+y)^2-xy+1 \geq a(x+y)##
This can again be rewritten as ##(x+1)^2+(y+1)^2-2(x+y)+xy-1\geq a(x+y)##

Add these two equations and with little manipulation you get,
Is it okay to add them? :rolleyes:

The discriminant should be less or equal zero as the value must be non-negative, not positive. And yes, work on the discriminant again.

Likes 1 person
Yes you can add them.
If a<b and c<d
then a+b<c+d..

szynkasz said:
The discriminant should be less or equal zero as the value must be non-negative, not positive. And yes, work on the discriminant again.

Thank you! That is a nice method. :smile:

You are welcome :smile:

Related to Find Integer Values of a for Inequality Problem

1. What is an inequality problem?

An inequality problem is a mathematical problem that involves solving for an unknown variable in an inequality statement. The solution to the problem is a range of values that satisfy the given inequality.

2. How do you find integer values for an inequality problem?

To find integer values for an inequality problem, you must first isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol. Then, you can use trial and error or a systematic method such as plugging in values to determine which integers satisfy the inequality.

3. What is the importance of finding integer values for an inequality problem?

Finding integer values for an inequality problem allows us to determine the exact range of values that satisfy the inequality. This is important in real-world applications where we need to know the precise limits of a certain condition or situation.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding integer values in an inequality problem?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and tricks for finding integer values in an inequality problem. One common method is to graph the inequality and look for the intersecting points on the graph, which represent the integer solutions.

5. Can the same method be used to find integer values for all types of inequality problems?

No, the method for finding integer values may vary depending on the type of inequality problem. Some problems may require more advanced algebraic techniques, while others may have a simple solution using basic arithmetic operations.