Is Believing in God Similar to Believing in Medusa?

• Thread starter Mohaamad
  • Start date
Sports Forum. It doesn't fit in.In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between believing in God and believing in other mythical creatures, such as Medusa. It also delves into the idea of God being a logical extension of reality and the question of whether there is more to discover as humans. The concept of belief in God being a personal and emotionally-based philosophy is also explored. Ultimately, the conversation centers around the difficulty of proving or disproving the existence of God and the role of free will in establishing beliefs.
You attest? But what does that mean? ... It still sounds like a matter of faith to me.
There is no faith involved with a lack of proof.

"I am an atheist because there is no evidence for the existence of God. That should be all that needs to be said about it: no evidence, no belief." -Dan Barker
Well what other criteria am I supposed to use if not my own experience?
Then henceforth let your experience recall that not all atheists claim god does not exist.

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables us to recognize a mistake, when we make it again.

That’s entirely up to you, people do it anyway.
Ridiculous and illogical.

Physics news on Phys.org
I intend to hold your feet to the fire until you see the error in your statement that;
And yet they will attest to the fact that God "does not" exist...
Are you willing yet to change your thinking and recognize that there is more (or is it Less?) to atheism then what you have claimed in your statement above?

Please try to refrain from straying from the source of our disagreement, agreed?

Originally posted by BoulderHead
There is no faith involved with a lack of proof.
And yet you base your whole system of "beliefs" upon this lack of proof. Sorry, I won't buy it! Man, by his very nature is religious.

"I am an atheist because there is no evidence for the existence of God. That should be all that needs to be said about it: no evidence, no belief." -Dan Barker
If you believe in nothing then there would be "nothing" to do. Are you saying there's nothing which adds meaning to your life?

Then henceforth let your experience recall that not all atheists claim god does not exist.
Still sounds like agnosticism to me. Perhaps what you're saying is you're not a "died in the wool" Atheist, which still smacks of Agnosticism ... What the hell I don't know, the only difference between an Atheist and Agnostic is just a matter of degree. Although I think an agnostic would be more "honest" about his uncertainty.

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables us to recognize a mistake, when we make it again.
Well at least we agree upon something here ...

Ridiculous and illogical.
Like water off a ducks back ...

I intend to hold your feet to the fire until you see the error in your statement that;
Are you willing yet to change your thinking and recognize that there is more (or is it Less?) to atheism then what you have claimed in your statement above?

Please try to refrain from straying from the source of our disagreement, agreed?
I think Atheism as a "system of beliefs" sucks. And that Atheists are just as much in denial as the people who claim they know all about God, i.e., when they don't.

I think you ought to go here;

http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/intro.html#atheisms

or here;

http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/ath/blathq_atheism101.htm

and try to broaden your understanding.

Atheism is without God. It does not assert no God. The atheist does not say that there is no God, but he says "I know not what you mean by God. I am without the idea of God. The word God to me is a sound conveying no clear or distinct affirmation. I do not deny God, because I cannot deny that of which I have no conception, and the conception of which by its affirmer is so imperfect that he is unable to define it for me."
-- Charles Bradlaugh

It turns out that the word atheism means much less than I had thought. It is merely the lack of theism...Basic atheism is not a belief. It is the lack of belief. There is a difference between believing there is no god and not believing there is a god -- both are atheistic, though popular usage has ignored the latter.
-- Dan Barker,

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Iacchus32
I think Atheism as a "system of beliefs" sucks. And that Atheists are just as much in denial as the people who claim they know all about God, i.e., when they don't.
The position of the atheist is a clear and reasonable one. I know nothing about God and therefore I do not believe in Him or it. What you tell me about your God is self-contradictory and is therefore incredible. I do not deny "God," which is an unknown tongue to me. I do deny your God, who is an impossibility. I am without God.
-- Annie Besant

http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/intro.html#atheisms

and try to broaden your understanding.

Atheism is without God. It does not assert no God. The atheist does not say that there is no God, but he says "I know not what you mean by God. I am without the idea of God. The word God to me is a sound conveying no clear or distinct affirmation. I do not deny God, because I cannot deny that of which I have no conception, and the conception of which by its affirmer is so imperfect that he is unable to define it for me."
-- Charles Bradlaugh
Perhaps I will? ... And yet I'm afraid to say that everything we do is predicated upon belief, and that smacks of religion. For example let's say I believed (whether probable or not) my next door neighbor had a gun and he was going to shoot me, I can assure you I would not remain his next door neighbor. Or, let's say I believed my car was about to break down (due to some funny noise I heard), then that would be about the time to go have it checked. Or, if I believed that if I didn't go to work I would get fired, then perhaps I had better go to work.

Isn't this basically how we make all our decisions, predicated upon "the belief" that one thing over another might occur?

The position of the atheist is a clear and reasonable one. I know nothing about God and therefore I do not believe in Him or it. What you tell me about your God is self-contradictory and is therefore incredible. I do not deny "God," which is an unknown tongue to me. I do deny your God, who is an impossibility. I am without God.
-- Annie Besant
And yet this would seem to infer that they know who God is, based upon the testimony of someone else which they won't accept? ... It doesn't make sense? And yet it still boils down to a matter of what "they believe."

And yet this would seem to infer that they know who God is, based upon the testimony of someone else which they won't accept? ... It doesn't make sense? And yet it still boils down to a matter of what "they believe."
Incorrect, there is a difference between not knowing God, and knowing someone's attempt at defining such a thing to be ridiculous and impossible.

Perhaps I will? ... And yet I'm afraid to say that everything we do is predicated upon belief, and that smacks of religion. For example let's say I believed (whether probable or not) my next door neighbor had a gun and he was going to shoot me, I can assure you I would not remain his next door neighbor. Or, let's say I believed my car was about to break down (due to some funny noise I heard), then that would be about the time to go have it checked. Or, if I believed that if I didn't go to work I would get fired, then perhaps I had better go to work.
The hope that my car will start when I turn the key does not, IMO, mean that I am religious, sorry.

There is a mental trap that people fall into, believing that everyone must either believe in God, or believe that God does not exist. The reality is more complex than this.

Incorrect, there is a difference between not knowing God, and knowing someone's attempt at defining such a thing to be ridiculous and impossible.
These are still words which concern a religious standpoint. Not unlike the Greeks perhaps, in that their beliefs were based upon reason and an open mind, which is why I believe the Christian Church migrated to Greece, as this was the only place it could have been properly understood and taken root.

Bet you didn't expect that now didn't ya!

These are still words which concern a religious standpoint.
Only when viewed through the distorted lens of a religionist.

Bet you didn't expect that now didn't ya!

"It's not easy to change world views. Faith has its own momentum and belief is comfortable. To restructure reality is traumatic and scary. That is why many intelligent people continue to believe: unbelief is an unknown."
-Dan Barker

The hope that my car will start when I turn the key does not, IMO, mean that I am religious, sorry.

There is a mental trap that people fall into, believing that everyone must either believe in God, or believe that God does not exist. The reality is more complex than this.
Is there a sales pitch in what I'm trying to say here? No, I don't think so. And yet if it wasn't for the fact that I was more neutral about it than anything else, I wouldn't be allowed to see what I see and say what I have to say about it.

Neutral??

Then why not alter your woefully lacking definition of atheism so we can end this spamming session!

Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel.
-- Ambrose Bierce

Then why not alter your woefully lacking definition of atheism so we can end this spamming session!

Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel.
-- Ambrose Bierce
Because I'm Jesus Christ man! ... Or, that would be tantamount to saying it, if I came right out and said I knew for a fact that God exists!

And yet it was the Son, who came in the name of the Father ... Hmm ...

Are you telling me that;

"You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are the ones that need help?" -Dan Barker

Iacchus: Get a clue, man!

Boulderhead has clearly set out his position, and you keep twisting it around into a "belief system". That is called a straw man fallacy, and it does not belong in the Philosophy forum.

Either stop being difficult, or drop it. This is really dumb.

Are you telling me that;

"You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are the ones that need help?" -Dan Barker
Then maybe we are speaking about the same God? And yet all you're really conveying to me is that people are out of touch with life.

Originally posted by Tom
Boulderhead has clearly set out his position, and you keep twisting it around into a "belief system". That is called a straw man fallacy, and it does not belong in the Philosophy forum.

Either stop being difficult, or drop it. This is really dumb.
Fair enough. I just didn't care to have three or four people ganging up on me for what seemed like an insignificant statement, otherwise I would have dropped it a long time ago.

But could you please tell me what the nature of belief is, and why it should not be included in a philosophical discussion? I'm beginning to get the distinct impression here, that Atheists do not in any way shape or form like to be called "religious."

But could you please tell me what the nature of belief is,

A belief is anything to which a person may give mental assent. Beliefs may be justified and factual (and thus be promoted to knowledge), or they may lack either justification or truth (and thus remain beliefs).

and why it should not be included in a philosophical discussion?

!

Because philosophy (speicifically, epistemology) is all about giving an account of justification of beliefs, and of determining their truth.

I really must get my "Whaddya know?" thread up and running again!

I'm beginning to get the distinct impression here, that Atheists do not in any way shape or form like to be called "religious."

Beginning to...? Everyone here has been shouting it at you, dude!

Atheists try to strip off all unneccesary beliefs, and they have total disdain for religion.

Originally posted by Tom

Atheists try to strip off all unneccesary beliefs, and they have total disdain for religion.

As an Atheist myself I feel must say I perceive having total disdain for religion Is an unnecessary belief.

Originally posted by Tom
But does this not become like the "holy cow" of religion, which is not to be touched? And, by making such a comment, are you not facing off "squarely" and asking for a confrontation? Or, would that be too much for a philosophical forum to handle? Is it out of audacity that Atheists say such things, merely to mock religion? Sounds to me like somebody needs to be taken down a notch or two.

From the thread, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2357" ...

Oh I see, you made "the inference" to mystery, but may not necessarily choose mystery over paradox either. Sorry ... Of course I don't know what else that leaves you with?

No, no, no, I was saying that - in that context - the word "mystery" suits Mohammed's need better than "paradox" (which, logistically, refers to self-contradiction).

But does this not become like the "holy cow" of religion, which is not to be touched?

I don't see your point.

You are mixing your metaphors here. The "holy cow" of the Bible was not something that represented "the untouchable", it represented "the disobedient". Check the book of Exodus.

And, by making such a comment, are you not facing off "squarely" and asking for a confrontation? Or, would that be too much for a philosophical forum to handle?

What the bloody blazes are you talking about?

First, I am not looking for a confrontation. In my mind, there is no confrontation to be had, unless you want to insist that God, Goddess, Zeus, The Easter Bunny, and the like are real (and even then, I would be loathe to get into a "confrontation", because I think those ideas are silly). And second, it is the religious person, not the atheist, who fails to meet the requirements of a "philosophical forum". As I said, here we are interested in justification of belief and discovery of necessary truths, not religious mumbo jumbo.

Is it out of audacity that Atheists say such things, merely to mock religion? Sounds to me like somebody needs to be taken down a notch or two.

There is no mocking going on here. I have disdain for religion because it is destructive on so many fronts. It leads to--among other things--bloodshed, ignorance, and dependence on clergy or the state (in a theorcracy).

From the URLAT, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2448" ...

Originally posted by Zero
I know there are plenty of people here who consider themselves to be skeptical, but is there a common outlook for all of us? I personally see it broken up into at least two camps. One is the type who says 'that's nonsense' to most everything not accepted by science, and leaves it at that. The second group attempts to show reasons behind why an idea is wrong, and suggests alternate explanations and avenues of inquiry.

I don't know if I have a point, except to say that the first group is useless, and the second group may be useful in certain situations.
Are you asking anyone to argue in favor "of" religion? Because it sounds like you've already concluded there's no need for it. Except of course that it would be nice if we could somehow find a way to convince those poor deluded souls who haven't realized it yet, that it wasn't necessary.

I'm not even a religious person (spiritual perhaps?), and yet the problem is not religion, it's what people do with religion. And this is the key, because religion is so close to the core of what we are -- as "creatures of belief" -- that it's subject to so much exploitation. And indeed, this is what gives it bad name ... while also explaining the nature of addiction.

And, while there's no doubt a good percentage of people who go to church who are under such delusions, I don't think the solution would be to outlaw religion, because people still need their "fixations." Ironically, just like Prohibition! And yet if properly understood, religion can ultimately provide the means by which to overcome our "earthly fixations," and possibly "escape the Matrix" so to speak.

This I'm afraid is what science fails to understand, that people can't help but be this way, for they need time to mature and open their eyes to reality. And yet the problem with Mother Church, is that She becomes so possessive about the whole thing (again, the nature of addiction), that She won't allow Her little children to do grow beyond the need for Mother Church, and become independent "spiritual beings." But doesn't this sound like a problem with most parents?

So the problem is not religion (which isn't to say there aren't things which couldn't be addressed about "formalized religion"). The problem is to understand why we have the need for religion ... And hey, it might even be possible for Science and Religion to get together and bridge some of their differences. Now wouldn't that be something!

Originally posted by Mohaamad
God is an logical extension, hypothesis, of what exist in reality.

I don't think that is true. 'God' is according to me an extention to a flawed concept of reality. It is stated over and over that the material world could not be infinite (without begin or end), and therefore God needed to exist in order to create a finite world. That is a logical conclusion, but based on a false premise. This can be shown, because the invention of God, does not reduce our initial problem of the world, being finite. Cause in the same way as the world had a begin, now God needs a begin, for the same reason. As this is not the case, in the minds of religious people, they therefore need to state that God itself was not created, but is infinite. But that shows therefore that our initial assumption (the world is finite) was a wrong concept, and we need to take the negation of the premise. The world is therefore infinite (has no begin or end).