Find initial velocity only need hint

In summary, the problem is to find the initial velocity and time of flight for a home run hit in a baseball game with a 35 degree angle, neglecting air resistance. The bleacher height is 21 meters and the distance from the bleachers to home plate is 130 meters. To solve for velocity, the equation vf^2= vi^2 + 2a(delta x) can be used, but it is necessary to know either the time or the velocity. However, it is important to note that there is no acceleration in the x direction. The equations must be approached component wise, taking into account the distance traveled in the x and y directions.
itunescape

Homework Statement

home run hit and baseball just clears the top of the bleachers.
@= 35 degrees
bleacher height = 21 meters
distance from bleachers to home plate = 130 meters

neglect air resistance

find initial velocity and time of flight

Homework Equations

x comp:
x= vcos@ t + at^2/2
y comp
y= vsin@ t + at^2/2
vf^2= vi^2 + 2a(delta x)

The Attempt at a Solution

The thing is, in order to solve for velocity itd help to know the time and to solve for time itd help to know the velocity. So i thought i'd use vf^2= vi^2 + 2a(delta x) since it doesn't have time in the equation. I got
0= (vi cos 35)^2 + 2(9.8) (130)
i keep getting a negative inside the square root and I am stuck.
I just need a hint into the right direction, am i approaching this problem incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Careful now, you wouldn't have an acceleration in the x direction. Also, do you really think the final velocity would be zero? You really need to know what the equations mean and how vectors work. Remember, you have to do it component wise.

So here's what you know: the distance in the y direction the ball travels, and the distance in the x direction that the ball travels. Two equations and two unknowns.

It seems like you are on the right track. However, when using the equation vf^2= vi^2 + 2a(delta x), keep in mind that the initial velocity (vi) is what you are trying to solve for. So, you would rearrange the equation to solve for vi and then plug in the given values for delta x and acceleration. Also, make sure to use the correct sign for acceleration (since it is in the opposite direction of the initial velocity).

Another hint is to think about the motion of the baseball in terms of its x and y components separately. In the x direction, the ball is moving at a constant velocity (since air resistance is neglected) and in the y direction, the ball is experiencing constant acceleration due to gravity. You can use the given information about the angle and the height of the bleachers to find the initial velocity in the y direction, and then use that in conjunction with the x-direction velocity to find the overall initial velocity.

Hope this helps!

Related to Find initial velocity only need hint

1. What is initial velocity in physics?

Initial velocity, also known as initial speed, is the velocity of an object at the beginning of its motion. It is the rate at which an object is moving in a specific direction at the start of its movement.

2. How is initial velocity calculated?

The initial velocity of an object can be calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time (time elapsed). This is represented by the formula: initial velocity = displacement / time elapsed.

3. What is the importance of finding the initial velocity?

Finding the initial velocity is important in understanding the motion of an object. It can help determine the acceleration of the object, as well as predict its future position and velocity.

4. What are the units of initial velocity?

The units of initial velocity depend on the units used for displacement and time. For example, if displacement is measured in meters and time in seconds, then initial velocity would be measured in meters per second (m/s).

5. Can initial velocity be negative?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its positive velocity. For example, if an object's initial velocity is -10 m/s, it is moving in the negative direction at a speed of 10 meters per second.