Find Initial Velocity from Angle and Horizontal Distance

In summary, an athlete executing a long jump leaves the ground at a 30.0° angle and travels a horizontal distance of 8.00m. The problem can be solved by considering the x and y coordinates, with the only acceleration being gravity. After plugging in the given values and using the appropriate equations, the final velocity of the athlete can be solved for.
IcyDuck

Homework Statement

"An athlete executing a long jump leaves the ground at a 30.0° angle and travels a horizontal distance 8.00m. What was the take-off speed?"

Let
##x=## horizontal distance
##v=## velocity
##a=## acceleration

Known:
##x=8 m##
##x_0=0 m##
##a_y=-9.8 m/s^2##
##v_{0x}=v_0cos(30°)##
##v_{0y}=v_0sin(30°)##

Solve for ##v_0##

Homework Equations

The only acceleration present is gravitational acceleration, so constant acceleration formulas are valid here. I decided to work with the horizontal component, because I was given the horizontal distance.
##v_x^2=v_{0x}^2+2a_x(x-x_0)##
##x=x_0+v_{0x}t+1/2a_xt^2##
##x=x_0+1/2(v_{0x}+v_x)t##

The Attempt at a Solution

I decided that since the athlete lands, and thus stops moving, at ##x=8,## the ##x## component of the final velocity would be ##v_x=0.## Given this and the values given above, I began plugging my values into the first relevant equation. But that led to ##v_0=0##!

##v_x^2=v_{0x}^2+2a_x(x-x_0)##

##v_0x=v_0cos(30°).##

##0=(v_0cos(30°))^2,##

##v_0=0##

On my next attempt I went out on a bit of a limb and used the third relevant equation to derive time ##t,## which I knew would contain the unsolved variable ##v_0.## I got this and plugged this into the second relevant equation, which made the two ##v_{0x}## variables cancel out.

##x=x_0+v_0t+1/2a_xt^2##

##t=16/v_0##

##x=x_0+v_{0x}t+1/2a_xt^2##

##8=0+v_{0x}(16/v_{0x}),##

There's something I'm not taking into consideration (and I might be making this harder than it needs to be), but I don't know what. Any hints as to where I should be directing my thinking on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not taking the y displacement under consideration. And there is no x-acceleration. The only accelerative agent is gravity.

So write the equations for the x and y coordinates.

Related to Find Initial Velocity from Angle and Horizontal Distance

1. How do you calculate initial velocity from angle and horizontal distance?

To calculate initial velocity from angle and horizontal distance, you can use the formula v0 = d / (t * cosθ). Where v0 is the initial velocity, d is the horizontal distance, t is the time, and θ is the angle of launch.

2. Why is it important to find the initial velocity?

Finding the initial velocity is important because it provides information about the motion of an object. It can help determine the trajectory, speed, acceleration, and other important factors that are crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of the object.

3. How does the angle affect the initial velocity?

The angle of launch affects the initial velocity by determining the direction of the velocity vector. The greater the angle, the more vertical the initial velocity will be, and the smaller the angle, the more horizontal the initial velocity will be.

4. Can you find the initial velocity without knowing the angle?

No, it is not possible to find the initial velocity without knowing the angle. The angle is a crucial component in the formula for calculating initial velocity, and without it, the result will not be accurate.

5. Are there any limitations to using this method for finding initial velocity?

Yes, there are some limitations to using this method. It assumes that there is no air resistance and that the initial velocity remains constant throughout the motion. In real-world scenarios, these assumptions may not hold true, and therefore, the calculated initial velocity may not be entirely accurate.