Find Ice Melted & Final Temp w/ 10g Steam & 50g Ice

In summary, the problem involves adding steam at 100C to ice at 0C and finding the amount of ice melted and the final temperature when the masses of steam and ice are 10g and 50g, respectively. The equations used are Q=mcdT and Q=ML. The attempt at a solution involves finding the final temperature using the equation Qmelt=MiciT+MiLf, which results in a final temperature of -91C. The correct equation should be MscwdT+MwcwdT=MicidT+MwcwdT, and the values for specific heat of water, heat of vaporization, and heat of fusion should be incorporated. The change in temperature for the steam is
Jennifer001

Homework Statement

steam at 100C is added to ice at 0C find the amount of ice melted and the final temperature when the mass of steam is 10g and the mass of ice is 50g

Homework Equations

Q=mcdT
Q=ML

The Attempt at a Solution

Qmelt=MiciT+MiLf
=0.05(2090)(100C)+(0.05)(3.33x10^5)
=27100J

27100+Micw(Tf-0C)+Mscw(Tf-20C)=0

Tf=[100(0.01)(4190)-27100]/[(0.05)(4190)+(0.01)(4190)]
=-91

am i doing this question correctly? cause in the question it askes for the final temperature but i don't think the finall temperture would be -91 when it starts out with 100C and 0C.. also I am not sure how to find the amount of ice melted can someone help?

i thnk it has something to do with finding out the final temperture then plug it into Q=mcdT and you solve for m?? is this correct?.. but i still don't know how to find the final temperture correctly.. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Since energy is conserved you have:
Energy lost by steam changing to water + Energy lost by that water cooling to T = Energy needed to melt ice + energy needed to heat that water to T

so is the equation:

MscwdT+MwcwdT=MicidT+MwcwdT

Ms= mass of steam
Mw= mass of water
Mi= mass of ice..
sorry I'm really lost in thermodynamics

Not quite.
The heat of melting/boiling doesn't have a temperature - there is no T change.
When the steam condenses it is cooling from 100deg, this water loses energy so it's temperature change is (100-T)

You will also need these values (or whatever is given in the question)
Specific heat water, c = 4.184 J/g.K
Heat vapourisation = 2260 J/g
Heat fusion = 333.5 J/g

I'm pretty sure you're going to need to incorporate the latent heats of fusion in there.

and mgb_phys, are you sure it's (100-T) Shouldn't the change in temperature always be Tf-Ti?

unless you're going to throw the magnitude brackets around it?

T is the final temperature, the question needs \deltaT, which for the steam is (100-
T) and for the ice (0+T).

Related to Find Ice Melted & Final Temp w/ 10g Steam & 50g Ice

1. How do I calculate the final temperature after mixing 10g of steam and 50g of ice?

To calculate the final temperature, we can use the formula Q = mCΔT, where Q is the heat transferred, m is the mass, C is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. We can set Q equal to 0 since the total amount of heat remains constant. Then, we can plug in the values for the mass and specific heat capacity of water and ice to solve for the final temperature.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of ice?

The specific heat capacity of ice is 2.09 J/g°C. This means that it takes 2.09 joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1 gram of ice by 1 degree Celsius.

3. How much heat is required to completely melt 50g of ice?

The amount of heat required to completely melt 50g of ice can be calculated using the formula Q = mHf, where Q is the heat transferred, m is the mass, and Hf is the heat of fusion. The heat of fusion for water is 334 J/g, so we can plug in the values for mass and heat of fusion to calculate the total amount of heat required.

4. What is the final state of the water after the ice has melted?

The final state of the water will be a mixture of liquid water and water vapor. The temperature will be the same as the final temperature calculated using the formula Q = mCΔT. The amount of liquid water and water vapor will depend on the temperature and the amount of steam and ice initially present.

5. How does the mass of the steam and ice affect the final temperature?

The mass of the steam and ice will affect the final temperature because it determines the total amount of heat transferred. The more steam and ice that are present, the higher the final temperature will be since more heat is required to raise the temperature. However, the specific heat capacity of water and ice also play a role in determining the final temperature.