Find Ice Mass to Make Water Temp 29°C

• Thread starter Magicarp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice Water
In summary: They have no idea of the significance of the answers. They are just fishing for the right number that some programmer picked.In summary, the problem involves an insulated beaker containing liquid water with a mass of 0.275kg and a temperature of 77.7C. The goal is to determine the amount of ice at -17.4C that must be added to the water in order for the final temperature of the system to be 29.0C. Using the specific heat of liquid water (4190), the specific heat of ice (2100), and the heat of fusion for water (334 x 10^3), the correct answer is found to be approximately 0.114kg of ice. However,
Magicarp

Homework Statement

An insulated beaker with negligible mass contains liquid water with a mass of 0.275kg and a temperature of 77.7.

How much ice at a temperature of -17.4 must be dropped into the water so that the final temperature of the system will be 29.0?
Take the specific heat of liquid water to be 4190 , the specific heat of ice to be 2100 , and the heat of fusion for water to be 334 x 10^3 .

Homework Equations

Q = mc[tex]\Delta[/tex]T
Q_tot = q_1 + q_2 ..etc
Fusion - Phase change

The Attempt at a Solution

I am almost certain I have done this correctly, but masteringphysics will not admit it! :/
I will leave off some units as I have made sure they all match up.

q1: Ice to 0C
q2: Ice fusion mw= mass water
q3: Ice to 29C mi = mass ice
q4: H20 to 29C((mw)(4190)(29C-77.7C) + (mi)(2100)(0C+17.4C)+(mi)(334 X 10^3)+(mi)(4190)(29C-0C))= 0

I solve for mi and get 0.114kg ice. MP no likey. Anyone care to check this?

Thanks in advance,
Magicarp

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

If it's any consolation I get a different answer from you.
Perhaps you should recalculate a little more carefully?

I initially dropped a term but it was inconsequential, and still different from your answer.

Edit: but quite close to yours. Maybe carry more precision?

Thanks for the speedy response! Are you sure there is nothing to fix in the setup? I could extend the answer to more sig figs, but this is one of those questions where MP conveniently doesn't tell you how many sig figs to include. It tells me that my answer is close and I may have rounded or used the incorrect number of sig figs. But usually when it says this, the answer is different by quite a lot.

Magicarp said:
Thanks for the speedy response! Are you sure there is nothing to fix in the setup? I could extend the answer to more sig figs, but this is one of those questions where MP conveniently doesn't tell you how many sig figs to include. It tells me that my answer is close and I may have rounded or used the incorrect number of sig figs. But usually when it says this, the answer is different by quite a lot.

I'd say your method is apparently OK.

I got .11277 kg when I equated what heats up to what cools down. In quickly checking your terms it seems your signs are OK.

Thanks LowlyPion, I simply had to extend the sig figs by 1 digit.

Cheers,
Magicarp

Magicarp said:
Thanks LowlyPion, I simply had to extend the sig figs by 1 digit.
I would have to back you up.
You are given the data to 3sig figs, more than 3sig figures in the answer is wrong. That's why I hate these online test things

Related to Find Ice Mass to Make Water Temp 29°C

1. How do you find the ice mass needed to make the water temperature 29°C?

To find the ice mass needed, you would use the formula: mass of ice (g) = (mass of water (g) * (final temperature (°C) - initial temperature (°C))) / specific heat capacity of ice (J/g°C).

2. What is the specific heat capacity of ice?

The specific heat capacity of ice is 2.09 J/g°C. This means that it takes 2.09 joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1 gram of ice by 1°C.

3. How do you measure the initial temperature of the water?

The initial temperature of the water can be measured using a thermometer. Make sure to stir the water before taking the temperature to ensure an accurate reading.

4. Can you use this formula to find the ice mass for any desired water temperature?

Yes, this formula can be used to find the ice mass needed for any desired water temperature. Just plug in the desired final temperature instead of 29°C.

5. Is it important to consider the specific heat capacity of ice when calculating the ice mass?

Yes, it is important to consider the specific heat capacity of ice when calculating the ice mass because it tells us how much energy is needed to raise the temperature of ice. Using the correct specific heat capacity ensures an accurate calculation of the ice mass needed.